Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Hyundai genesis coupe

Old 02-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hyundai genesis coupe

The last week has me seriously considering getting rid of the XF and bringing home a genesis coupe but I'm having a hard time bringing myself to trade in German engineering and Mercedes reliability for a hyundai... I would get the 3.8 track if I do this and it will be black! Opinions? I know FPs son is driving one haven't herd to much about it though.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Hyundai genesis coupe

It really is time to put the whole "oh geez.......you bought a Hyundai?!?!" thing to rest. They are making some very nice cars now at extremely competitive prices. No, the Genesis sedan is not a real 5 Series competitor, but it's much closer than its price tag would suggest. Our VP/R&D had one as a company car but now has an Infiniti M35. He says he misses the Hyundai and like it a lot more.

As for the Genesis Coupe, it's a really fantastic car by all accounts. Not quite up to what a Mustang GT is but again, not that far away I.n overall driving experience. Plus it's a darn good looking car, too. I would happily put one in my garage.......maybe not to replace my Crossfire (at the moment it would take an Austin-Healey 3000 to do that), but it's a car I'd really like to have.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:12 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

And designed by Eric Stoddard.

No, my son doesn't have one. You might be thinking of Acrispy.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Genesis is a fine car (thanks to Stoddard)...but it can't touch the Crossfire as far as distinguished classic styling and German engineering... IMHO

Old 02-05-2012, 03:15 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FP
And designed by Eric Stoddard.

No, my son doesn't have one. You might be thinking of Acrispy.
My apologies FP right you are.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
The Genesis is a fine car (thanks to Stoddard)...but it can't touch the Crossfire as far as distinguished classic styling and German engineering... IMHO
Those are my feelings to a T the crossfire to me (I haven't owned a ton of vehicles) feels solid it's smooth and the break neck looks I get from it are to much to give up... At the same time the break neck looks I give a genesis on the rare occasion I see one make me think it might not be a bad replacement. I did some research and found that the 6sp manual trannys have given genesis owners nothing but headaches. I don't think I would be comfortable with buying a 6sp after all the negative feed back. I refuse to drive an automatic sports car it takes away from the driving experience. IMO I don't know yet maybe this is just a wild hair that will fade away in a month or so...

Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Forum Regular

I was looking at the Genesis coupe before I picked up the Xfire. The price was still a little on the high side as they were still relatively new. The price still hasn't dropped enough for me to consider it.

There are several new RWD coupes hitting the market that are very tempting.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Forum Regular

Hyundai makes some interesting products and Kia has been hitting the ad machine hard. That being said, I subscribe to many enthusiast publications and hear it/read it all (public, writers, editors). When I finally got a chance to drive the CTS-V's, I'm just still very impressed for what we have for the money. Of course, I'm biased toward the SRT's. I get in and out of the cars and the doors just shut like a soft vault door. My fav under 100k is still the GT-R and I sometimes think of getting the last iteration (but, next years will be better and still heavy ). So, for the last 3 years it's been two SRT's in the garage along with the '06 4runner (gonna hit 54k this month!). My '03 Tacoma w/63k is the spring/summer work car and it has to stay outside. Still looks great though, with a thorough wax and detail once a year.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Forum Regular
Location: Colborne Ontario, Orlando FL. (winter) Haliburton Ont. (summer)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmk41
The last week has me seriously considering getting rid of the XF and bringing home a genesis coupe but I'm having a hard time bringing myself to trade in German engineering and Mercedes reliability for a hyundai... I would get the 3.8 track if I do this and it will be black! Opinions? I know FPs son is driving one haven't herd to much about it though.
I have a 2010 3.8 gt. It is a very well built car. Fun to drive and fast. The 2013 v6 is 350 h.p. 295 lb ft tor., with a 8 speed. Having said that although not as quick my XF is just as fun to drive.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by liberty1
I have a 2010 3.8 gt. It is a very well built car. Fun to drive and fast. The 2013 v6 is 350 h.p. 295 lb ft tor., with a 8 speed. Having said that although not as quick my XF is just as fun to drive.
I think I'm going to wait for the 13 If I actually do this I was looking and reading till about 4am about them . Do you have the manual or auto? I test drove a 3.8 6sp and it was a blast to drive but it was the r spec. My main concern with the auto is the paddle shift. If it's anything like auto stick that ***** for the birds! If you do have an auto in manual mode are the shifts quick? I like the idea of eight speeds but for the fuel Econ difference between that and the six speed manual it's pointless... I don't think I'd ever use 6 gear and up around home with all the damn hills! Tid bit for you check out SFR I'm sure you have herd of them if your on any genesis forums. Welcome to SFR International Inc - Racing Soul from Seoul

Old 02-06-2012, 06:18 PM

My son has a 2011 R Spec with aftermarket exhaust, cold air intake, ecu tune, short shifter, lowered with Eibach springs. Car is sick, moves and handle wells.

Pictures are before he did any work to it.

IMG_20110713_182051.jpg

IMG_20110713_182108.jpg

IMG_20110713_182211.jpg

Old 02-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by acrispy1
My son has a 2011 R Spec with aftermarket exhaust, cold air intake, ecu tune, short shifter, lowered with Eibach springs. Car is sick, moves and handle wells.

Pictures are before he did any work to it.

Thanks acrispy! I'd love to see a lowered pic! Has he had any problems with the transmission?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Forum Regular

I have the auto. Seldom use the paddle shift like auto stick I have really no use for them. Just waiting for the 13's to show up at the dealer. If I can work a good deal I will put one in the driveway. I do browse the Gencoupe forum now and then. Problem is to many Ricers. Really can't stand reading the b.s.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I could afford it, there would be a Genesis Coupe in my garage next to my XF right now.

Last edited by +fireamx; 02-07-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Uh Liberty, the magazine roadtest (for the 3.8 Genesis coupe automatic) say it runs a 14.0 sec. flat 1/4 mile. (a few 10's faster than the 6 speed because it has 3.73 gears as opposed to the 3.54's in the manual).
You do have a NA Crossfire don't you?
Are you running some 1/4 mile times with your XF that none of us have heard about?
Ah, no. Ment although the XF is not as fast as the Gencoupe it is just as much fun to drive

Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have nothing against the Genesis coupes, aside from the interiors being a bit drab in color-scheme. Interior layout is superb and I quite like the ergonomics.

One thing that stood out to me in person, that I hadn't figured in the magazine photos, is the size. It's a significantly larger vehicle than the Crossfire. For me, that killed it.

Couple that with the thrashy motor, and it just didn't speak to me like the XF does.

The 2013 will be stout and I expect them to increase overall refinement as well.

Forums... yes, that can be a bit of an issue. But I see just as many douchebags on the lofty "Mercedes" forum as I see on the 'ricer' forums. Punks infiltrate all types of vehicles, sadly. You can put the punk in a classy car or a beater, and the driver's class seldom changes. Sadly, ANY car that is sporty and attainable by younger kids will have a fanbase devoid of basic social refinement. F-bombs (in every sentence) are still considered an appropriate way to convey one's thoughts at age 17...

I'm biased, but it seems we have a much smaller infestation of D-bags on this forum than any other I've ever participated in. Hoping it stays that way.

Stay classy, San Diego.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:52 PM

Ah, no. Ment although the XF is not as fast as the Gencoupe it is just as much fun to drive
Damn your quick.lol Just as I posted that, I re-read your post and figured out what you were actually saying. That's why I changed my post.
Last summer, I parked next to a guy in a parking lot who had just purchased a red Genesis coupe and we talked for about 20 minutes. He got the 4 cyl. model and said he loved it.
He was blown away when I told him about Eric Stoddard and his connection with the two cars.
I haven't read anything about the 2013 models yet.
If I could sell a couple of my Toys, there would be some room for Gen in my world. Just not in the cards right now.

Last edited by +fireamx; 02-07-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
F-bombs (in every sentence) are still considered an appropriate way to convey one's thoughts at age 17... .

F-bombs!! I still haven't recovered from some chick flippen me the bird on TV the other night.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Forum Regular

The first Gencoupe I tested was the 2.0T. Talk about engine thrash. Typical of a four banger. V6 is much smoother. The interior of the car is nice but quality of materials is not that great. Iam told this has been looked after on the 13.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by +fireamx
F-bombs!! I still haven't recovered from some chick flippen me the bird on TV the other night.
Same people that think the Honda Civic is a sports car

Quick Reply: Hyundai genesis coupe