Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

A25 Amg

Old 02-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A25 Amg

Wow, this thing looks pretty interesting in the spy shots. Said to take on the VW Golf R and S3 Audi and with over 300+HP, I like the odds.

AMG now has a 4 cylinder motor, I wonder when they will sell another manual trans in the states... Come on AMG, most car guys want a clutch pedal!

Spy shots and small article from MBWorld: Spy Shots: Mercedes-Benz A25 AMG Caught in the Wild! - MBWorld.org Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Community=

Call me crazy, but I like the lines so far...

Old 02-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: A25 Amg

I've always been a fan of hot hatches, but in the States everyone thinks of hatchbacks as cheap entry level econoboxes. Some of that changed with the MINI being decidedly more upscale than hatchbacks of the past, and Audi sells a ton of A3s here in SoCal (I love that car) so I really like the MB is going the AMG route with the A Class.

As for the manual gear box thing, though, it's probably not going to happen. Technology has advanced so far with automatic boxes that they are often faster and deliver better fuel economy than manuals these days - and that NEVER used to be the case. And with fuel economy standards getting increasingly tough, it's no wonder you see fewer and fewer row your owns.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
I've always been a fan of hot hatches, but in the States everyone thinks of hatchbacks as cheap entry level econoboxes. Some of that changed with the MINI being decidedly more upscale than hatchbacks of the past, and Audi sells a ton of A3s here in SoCal (I love that car) so I really like the MB is going the AMG route with the A Class.

As for the manual gear box thing, though, it's probably not going to happen. Technology has advanced so far with automatic boxes that they are often faster and deliver better fuel economy than manuals these days - and that NEVER used to be the case. And with fuel economy standards getting increasingly tough, it's no wonder you see fewer and fewer row your owns.
I agree on all counts, Mike. My daughter's '09 Rabbit is a true quality build. When I can replace the Accord, it will most likely be a Golf.

I couldn't afford the MB pocket rocket.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:27 AM

Wow, and it's about time! I had an '03 GTI 1.8t with upgraded turbo and lots of goodies and really enjoyed that hatch and was one solid car. Now I'm loving the new A25 AMG. That is a lot of power coming out of 4 banger from the factory with 320 hp. Oh baby!

Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 AM

Technology has advanced so far with automatic boxes that they are often faster and deliver better fuel economy than manuals these days - and that NEVER used to be the case.
Mike, I understand your reasoning, and the Porsche autos have been faster than a human can shift for 15+ years, but they still offer a manual, hell the Viper ONLY comes in a manual and that is a driver's car. I know I will get some flack, but it amazes me that a company will spend the amount on R&D that they do, to cater to true performance enthusiasts, only to turn a percentage of them away with the auto gearbox...

Old 02-15-2012, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
I know I will get some flack, but it amazes me that a company will spend the amount on R&D that they do, to cater to true performance enthusiasts, only to turn a percentage of them away with the auto gearbox...
I agree the manual is a lot more fun and I kind of miss it, but when I am at the drag strip, I am so happy that my auto stays in full boost the entire time and never misses a shift. I've been in some very close races against cars with manuals and it is awesome when we are neck and neck and they have to shift which gives me just enough time to edge ahead of them. No better feeling for me.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the manual as much as anyone, but as Mike said, today's tech simply makes it futile to design a manual for a new application. If it is in an existing one, it's allowed to soldier on but that will only last until the phase-out.

The Viper has a manual, because it never had an auto. Designing an auto for that car would be cost-prohibitive as the Chrysler group would struggle to integrate it into any other platform.

M-B will likely use the 7-speed auto from the C-Class in this car. One only needs to look at Mercedes' track history with manuals vs. automatics to determine why they haven't used many manuals. Even our beloved manuals in the Crossfires aren't true Mercedes units, they're Getrag-sourced.

Porsche made the manual what it is, and they still offer it simply for weight-reduction purposes. The PDK (Doppelkupplungsgetriebe) is far superior and obliterates even the quickest hot-shoe...

Back on topic, I like it. Personally I think the VW Sirocco is the best looking "hatch" on the market today. It simply has all the right lines.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche is considering PDK only transmission for it's next GT3 car lol. Ferrari now only offers dual clutch trannies, I think Lambo is also only offering a dual clutch.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:50 PM

Guys, I understand it is several hundreths faster, but the fact of the matter is that I, me personally, would give up a few hundreths per shift for more fun everyday I am behind the wheel of the car. The amount of time a car spends on the track versus the road, I would take the manual everyday, but again, this is just my opinion. And since I do not drag race, it is less of an issue, although it is quite nice on a road course or AutoX to know the car is going to stay in the gear you have it in...

This is why we each drive what we drive.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:58 PM

Guys, I understand it is several hundreths faster, but the fact of the matter is that I, me personally, would give up a few hundreths per shift for more fun everyday I am behind the wheel of the car. The amount of time a car spends on the track versus the road, I would take the manual everyday, but again, this is just my opinion. And since I do not drag race, it is less of an issue, although it is quite nice on a road course or AutoX to know the car is going to stay in the gear you have it in...

Many vehicles have the option to keep the vehicle from upshifting. The 5speed auto in many crossfires and mercedes do not though. The 7 speed in my 55 does. I can bounce it off the rev limiter all day long if I so desire and have done so a a couple of lights because I wasn't quick enough. Felt like a complete fool lol

Old 02-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I completely understand what you're saying, and a major part of the reason I got a Limited Crossfire was because I wanted my weekend toy to have a manual gearbox. For my next daily driver I'm hoping that whatever I select will have a manual option. One of the cars I've been considering (and admittedly I'm a ways off from replacing my daily) is the Ford Focus, but I don't want the base model. And the base model was the only way to get the manual gearbox..... until very recently when Ford announced that the 3 pedal variant would become available on the Titanium trim level Focus. Good!

But super cars are all about bragging rights when it comes to marketing. The vast majority of guys who buy super cars don't have anywhere near the skill level to drive them at 10/10ths, let alone 8/10ths, so Nurburgring times, acceleration times, etc don't really mean a hell of a lot in the real world. Anyone who buys Car A over Car B because Car A is faster round the 'Ring is a moron.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:16 PM

Anyone who buys Car A over Car B because Car A is faster round the 'Ring is a moron.
Oh jeez I can hear Steve's (32Krazy) response now LOL

Old 02-16-2012, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
Oh jeez I can hear Steve's (32Krazy) response now LOL
Can't wait!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:30 AM

Many vehicles have the option to keep the vehicle from upshifting. The 5speed auto in many crossfires and mercedes do not though. The 7 speed in my 55 does. I can bounce it off the rev limiter all day long if I so desire and have done so a a couple of lights because I wasn't quick enough. Felt like a complete fool lol
I was unaware of this, as I have not had an opportunity to drive one.

I am sure a 7 speed with paddles would be a hoot, I just can't give up my 3 pedal yet.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 AM

Steve must not have had his coffee this morning.

The Nürburgring is known as the "Green Hell". Steve has a green SLK...

Is it even up for debate which car is fastest around the 'Ring?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Steve must not have had his coffee this morning.

The Nürburgring is known as the "Green Hell". Steve has a green SLK...

Is it even up for debate which car is fastest around the 'Ring?
That depends on if Steve is driving... lol Since he's not letting anyone else drive at the moment he won't be the fastest. To many bends to worry about.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:19 PM

That depends on if Steve is driving... lol Since he's not letting anyone else drive at the moment he won't be the fastest. To many bends to worry about.
This is accurate.

I agree totally with Mike's statements earlier though... You would be shocked to know how many people buy their car because it ran a 7.xx on the Nürburgring, but that same owner can't navigate their way out of a drive-through without curbing their wheels.

The driver determines the numbers of the car much than the equipment does.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM

I was unaware of this, as I have not had an opportunity to drive one.

I am sure a 7 speed with paddles would be a hoot, I just can't give up my 3 pedal yet.
My miata was the same way. Only difference was it was a 6 speed auto and I almost never drove it in auto mode. After a couple of weeks I quit bouncing it off the rev limiter. lol

Old 02-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Boiler, you're not alone -- I found your next car.

2012 Kia Soul 2.0 Plus Manual Test – Review – Car and Driver

Old 02-17-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Boiler, you're not alone -- I found your next car.

2012 Kia Soul 2.0 Plus Manual Test – Review – Car and Driver
That thing would look bad *** with spinners.

Quick Reply: A25 Amg