Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Should I get an SLK 250 to replace the Crossfire?

Old 11-30-2014, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I get an SLK 250 to replace the Crossfire?

Hi guys,

I have owned a Crossfire for the past 6 years now. It's been a great ride so far, no complaints.

Unfortunately it's getting a bit worn now (curb rash, interior is wearing out, small dents) and despite my best efforts, it is costing me too much to keep.

I am looking at similar cars to get. I love small sports cars (two-seaters). I have found the new SLK 250 to be comparable.

I understand it isn't as powerful as the Crossfire, but it makes up for it with it's interior, brand, and up to date design.

Does anyone have one? Do you think it would be a fair replacement for the Crossfire?

Or is it a downgrade? I can't afford the SLK 350, so it'll have to be 250. If not the SLK, what other affordable sports cars would be a decent replacement for the Crossfire?

Thanks guys.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:03 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Should I get an SLK 250 to replace the Crossfire?

At half the price, why not try the VW Golf GTI, Motor Trend’s 2015 Car of the Year!

http://www.vw.com/models/gti/

Old 11-30-2014, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by syfi
At half the price, why not try the VW Golf GTI, Motor Trend’s 2015 Car of the Year!

2015 VW Golf GTI - Performance Hot Hatch | Volkswagen
Hatchbacks aren't as cool as 2-seat coupes and Golfs are boring!

Old 12-01-2014, 09:41 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crossfires are still cool and get looks everywhere so not sure " up-to-date" is an issue on styling, unless youare are talking about the interior.

The SLK's start around 44K. With any options you are looking at upper 40s to mid 50s. The new Alpha is in the low 50s I believe.

Options are aplenty with sports cars now:

New Miata when they come out
The SLK is a nice option but I would likely want the 350 (why not look for a used one)
What about the new Alpha. Those are really great looking.
The New Boxters are sweet.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by inthecrossfire
Hi guys,

I have owned a Crossfire for the past 6 years now. It's been a great ride so far, no complaints.

Unfortunately it's getting a bit worn now (curb rash, interior is wearing out, small dents) and despite my best efforts, it is costing me too much to keep.

I am looking at similar cars to get. I love small sports cars (two-seaters). I have found the new SLK 250 to be comparable.

I understand it isn't as powerful as the Crossfire, but it makes up for it with it's interior, brand, and up to date design.

Does anyone have one? Do you think it would be a fair replacement for the Crossfire?

Or is it a downgrade? I can't afford the SLK 350, so it'll have to be 250. If not the SLK, what other affordable sports cars would be a decent replacement for the Crossfire?

Thanks guys.

Other than being considered as one of the 10 most unreliable cars on the road,,,go for it.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...cars/index.htm

Don't worry two Benz products made that list. along with fiat 500 and Jeep's Grand Cherokee.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 12-01-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:58 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Other than being considered as one of the 10 most unreliable cars on the road,,,go for it.
The 10 Least Reliable Cars | Car Reliability - Consumer Reports News
Thei listing is for the CLA, not the SLK.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Wink Re: Should I get an SLK 250 to replace the Crossfire?

Not unless you are planning a sex change !

Mick

Old 12-03-2014, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by PNA
Thei listing is for the CLA, not the SLK.
A minor point sir. there are two Benz vehicles on the bottom ten list. A Benz is no longer the great "only the best or nothing" it used to be.

Best engineered cars in the world, built with the cheapest parts.
We are all driving , and fixing, that same product line today.

After 25 years of being a Mercedes Benz fan, I don't enjoy saying it, but the luster is gone. Unless they get back to what made them the best,, a rock solid reliable car,,I will not put another Benz in my driveway.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:08 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hatchbacks aren't as cool as 2-seat coupes and Golfs are boring!
The BMW Z4 sDrive28i is a whole lot better roadster for the same price and offers 40 more hp w/o a turbo, retractable hard top, and is way sexier.

BMW Z4 sDrive28i - Model Highlights - BMW North America

I'd even consider the bugly Audi TT Roadster before the SLK, simply because of the much better build quality, peppier turbo 4 and quatro drive, for around the same price.

http://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-tt-roadster

Last edited by syfi; 12-03-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Forum Regular

The 10 Least Reliable Cars | Car Reliability - Consumer Reports News
Consumer Reports seems to be 100% wrong compared to my experiences. I never trust their opinions.

Originally Posted by Oconnom
Not unless you are planning a sex change !
A little close to home for someone driving an R170 (SLK) isn't it?

A minor point sir. there are two Benz vehicles on the bottom ten list. A Benz is no longer the great "only the best or nothing" it used to be.

Best engineered cars in the world, built with the cheapest parts.
We are all driving , and fixing, that same product line today.

After 25 years of being a Mercedes Benz fan, I don't enjoy saying it, but the luster is gone. Unless they get back to what made them the best,, a rock solid reliable car,,I will not put another Benz in my driveway.

I don't know. When do you think that changed? I have 3 Benzs and they have been the most reliable cars I have ever owned (of many). I have a first-year 1998 ML320 that had a reputation for bad reliability, but 16 years and 220,000 miles later and it is just a rock solid vehicle.

Originally Posted by syfi
The BMW Z4 sDrive28i is a whole lot better roadster for the same price and offers 40 more hp w/o a turbo, retractable hard top, and is way sexier.

BMW Z4 sDrive28i - Model Highlights - BMW North America
Has BMW done anything to fix the dead steering? I test drove A Z4 a few years ago when the current generation came out. The R170's steering was maligned in reviews compared to the Z3, but that was then and the R170's steering is way better than the Z4 I drove.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by boostmonkey
Consumer Reports seems to be 100% wrong compared to my experiences. I never trust their opinions.

I don't know. When do you think that changed? I have 3 Benzs and they have been the most reliable cars I have ever owned (of many). I have a first-year 1998 ML320 that had a reputation for bad reliability, but 16 years and 220,000 miles later and it is just a rock solid vehicle.
I have had at least eight MB products over the years. Loved them all . But to say they are ultimately reliable denies most of the posts here on this very Forum.

Some here have had no issues. Out of four crossfires I have owned or purchased, the only one with no problems was an SRT Coupe in which I only put about 2,000 miles.

Experiences may vary. But I would suggest the "change" happened about the time they introduced the E-Series. My 1986 300 SDL had 340,000 miles on it but was not "Trouble Free" Prolly the best of the bunch though.

IMHO, BMW has been clobbering Benz since about 1985.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 12-03-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi guys,

Thanks guys.
Just a suggestion, but try thinking outside the German Box.
Go test drive a Suburu BRZ. With a 6 spd manual it's only 1/10th of a sec. slower than a 6 speed Crossfire in the 1/4 mile. Handling is supposed to be incredible.
I'd love to have one parked next to my Crossfire.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Just a suggestion, but try thinking outside the German Box.
Go test drive a Suburu BRZ. With a 6 spd manual it's only 1/10th of a sec. slower than a 6 speed Crossfire in the 1/4 mile. Handling is supposed to be incredible.
I'd love to have one parked next to my Crossfire.

Agreed!!!