Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Can You Identify theses 2 Cars?

Old 11-28-2005, 11:49 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Can You Identify theses 2 Cars?

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Stryfox, If you go back to "On the Wings of XFs" #7 post and punch up the AMX files web site, the first thing you will see is a reprint of Motor Trends
debut road test of the 1968 AMX. In it there is an interesting paragraph that specifically addresses the fade issue.
The AMX came with "twin" piston disc brakes, is that what you meant when you said some Mopars had 4 piston?
not sure about the wording if it was 2 or 4 but mopar had a setup made by kelsey hays that had 4 pistons per front wheel, It was an option on some models.

Old 11-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a new one on me.

Last edited by ashonfire; 11-29-2005 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Forum Regular

Just out of curiosity, what where the sales figures of the AMX compared to the crossfire?

FireAMX, do you have anymore pix of your AMX? I use to have a non running 1970 AMX sitting in my back yard just rotting away. If I had more money I would of rebuilt the thing, but fortunately for that car another resto guy bought it for $1,000. It was probably worth 3x that much in parts.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:45 PM

Along similar lines...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ht=1965+shelby

My Dad worked for Chrysler then AMC in the sixties. He routinely brought home fire breathers which today bring 7-figures on Barrett/Jackson.

Old cars are cooler, new cars are better.

Leno says that he gets nervous when a GTI pulls up at a red light next to his '71 Hemi 'Cuda.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stryfox
I worked on a george barris amx from some old tv show called Banacek. It was quite a cool car.
It was also called the amx-400.
I liked that show!

Old 09-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dynamicS
Just out of curiosity, what where the sales figures of the AMX compared to the crossfire?
dynamics, during its 2.5 years of production (it made its debut after Jan. 1st. 1968) only 19,134 cars were produced. 1968 = 6,725, 1969 = 8,293, and
1970 = 4,116. How that compares to the Crossfire, I'd have to say less than 1/3.
A few years ago, they were worth more to part out, but not anymore. 1970's bring the most money.
Besides the statistical resemblance that I mentioned at the start of this thread, I've noticed a few more similarities during my time with the Crossfire. Or as some may say, "the 6 degrees of separation between the Crossfire and the AMX".

Side glass misalignment. Some AMXs came from the factory with side windows that didn't fit very well. (now where have we heard that before?)
Tire clearance. Even with E-70-14 tires it was possible to see rub marks on the edges of the fenders.
Leaking Automatic trans. The infamous "Borg Warner" would weep on the dealers showroom floor. Unfortunately, it wasn't a simple 0-ring fix like the Crossfire.
Sloppy manual shifter, vs the XF's notchy 6 spd. Was later rectified by Hurst shifters.
Wing style spoiler. AMC offered a dealer installed "wing type" spoiler for the AMX.
Controversial spare tire or lack there of. The AMX was the first American Sports car to offer the BFG "cutting edge design" space saver tire and it's "can" of air, vs Crossfires no spare, air pump, and "can" of sealant.
Being derived from another vehicle. Where the Crossfire owes its beginnings to the SLK, the AMX sprang from a shortened Javelin chassis.
Both manufactures were involved in either a merger or buyout with Chrysler.
Both cars very closely resemble their factory "Show Car" edition.
After market performance parts availability was and is both limited, and expensive.
Limited production. 3 model years for the AMX vs 5 for the Crossfire.
The AMX started production as a 1968 model, the Crossfire ended it's production as a 2008 model.
Both cars used vacuum operated accessories, which could fail due to leakage.
Traction control vs traction bars, (I know it's stretch, but it created similar results).
Finally, a loyal, almost "cult like" following.
As dobro pointed out, old cars are indeed cooler, but new cars are definitely better. I'm just glad that the old saying, "what goes around, comes around" rings true in this case.

Last edited by +fireamx; 03-22-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:54 AM

Had I known that I might have looked up the owner of the red AMX that was parked at our local restaurant a couple of times this summer for a chat.

I think the chief styling clues for the Crossfire were the Bugatti Atlanta Coupe and Bill Thomas' Cheetah both of which predate the AMX.

Of course the AMX would fall behind on a twisty section of road but it was "state of the art" for American cars in it's time.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Forum Regular

If you're gonna look at the AMX you might as well look at the Gremlin. Same styling, just a smaller car. I thought both were kewl in the day.

But, in the end I believe both of the above were stolen cues from the 30's Buggati coupes.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Veloce
If you're gonna look at the AMX you might as well look at the Gremlin. Same styling, just a smaller car. I thought both were kewl in the day.
But, in the end I believe both of the above were stolen cues from the 30's Buggati coupes.
Veloce, if you honestly think the Gremlin and the AMX have the "SAME" styling, I have a good optometrist you may want to check out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1974_Gremlin.jpg

http://musclecars.howstuffworks.com/...70-amc-amx.htm

Old 12-18-2008, 06:28 AM
Forum Regular

Okay, I'll defer to your good judgment. Maybe I was little overboard by saying the "same" styling. I've amended my post to read, "similar styling cues." BTW, my first new car was a Gremlin X with the Levi interior. I also had a Javelin (bought used and needed a back seat for the little one)-Hey, I even owned a snot green hornet for a couple of years. Was I an AMC groupie? You betcha!

Roll forward to today. I do love the Bugatti styling, but still can't afford it--I don't even know anyone in Ralph Lauren's group. The Crossfire, to me, is one of the greatest looking automobiles since AMC's days of the Gremlin/Javelin and art deco era of the Bugatti. Yet, it is now afforadable and sooooo kewl to drive.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:16 AM

Okay, I'll defer to your good judgment. Maybe I was little overboard by saying the "same" styling. I've amended my post to read, "similar styling cues." BTW, my first new car was a Gremlin X with the Levi interior. I also had a Javelin (bought used and needed a back seat for the little one)-Hey, I even owned a snot green hornet for a couple of years. Was I an AMC groupie? You betcha!

Roll forward to today. I do love the Bugatti styling, but still can't afford it--I don't even know anyone in Ralph Lauren's group. The Crossfire, to me, is one of the greatest looking automobiles since AMC's days of the Gremlin/Javelin and art deco era of the Bugatti. Yet, it is now afforadable and sooooo kewl to drive.
Veloce, I wasn't knocking the Gremlin, I owned one also, and I probably put more miles on my old girlfriends 71 Gremlin X than she did. They were fun cars, and got a lot of looks and smiles when they first came out. But the AMX and the Gremlin were both "conceived" by the same guy (Richard Teague).
Actually, some of the Gremlins dimensions were very close to the Crossfires,

Wheel base....96" vs 94.5"
Track fr.........57.2" vs 58.3"
Track r..........56.6" vs 58.2"
Hight.............51.8" vs 51.0"
Ground clearance...5.0" vs 4.9"
Length..........161.3" vs 159.8"
When the Gremlin first came out, it could be had with no back seat as well.
But it's true competiton was of course the Pinto and Vega, which it completely "outclassed" with it's standard 6 cyl. engine.
Now if you had said the Gremlin had similar styling to another Sports car,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BMW-Z3-Coupé.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1974_Gremlin.jpg
I wouldn't have argued at all.
I too had a couple of Hornets, even ordered a 73 360 Hatchback X brand new, and I had a 69 390, 4spd Javelin. It's really interesting how many old AMC owners there are on this forum.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Forum Regular

I too had a couple of Hornets, even ordered a 73 360 Hatchback X brand new, and I had a 69 390, 4spd Javelin. It's really interesting how many old AMC owners there are on this forum.
Hmm, that is an interesting statement

I wonder how many old Bugatti owners are on this forum

Old 12-18-2008, 10:30 AM

I wonder how many old Bugatti owners are on this forum
My guess, not many.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:03 PM

Deleted as duplicate

Last edited by cobraken; 05-27-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by cobraken
Deleted as duplicate
I guess this was an attempt to get a thread to rise from the dead, we have to many ghouls around here, so it's best left dead.
The AMX was no Crossfire, I'm sure the cup holder worked.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I guess this was an attempt to get a thread to rise from the dead, we have to many ghouls around here, so it's best left dead.
The AMX was no Crossfire, I'm sure the cup holder worked.

Dave you have to stop being so open minded. People are going to start thinking you're a liberal.

For the record, the previous (and/or current owners) of over 400 AMX's have purchased Crossfires.
The owner of the quickest Crossfire in the world (as far as we know) has an AMX emblem on his ride.
Actually the more I think about it, It probably would have been more accurate if I had installed Crossfire emblems on my AMX. But not nearly as much fun.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:00 AM

Dave you have to stop being so open minded. People are going to start thinking you're a liberal.

For the record, the previous (and/or current owners) of over 400 AMX's have purchased Crossfires.
The owner of the quickest Crossfire in the world (as far as we know) has an AMX emblem on his ride.
Actually the more I think about it, It probably would have been more accurate if I had installed Crossfire emblems on my AMX. But not nearly as much fun.
I'm sorry but truthfully AMXs were sh!te from day one.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:14 AM

I'm sorry but truthfully AMXs were sh!te from day one.
Dave, I'd really like to ask you how you came to that conclusion.
Certainly you're speaking from actual experience to have such conviction in your opinion.
Please Dave, enlighten us.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:49 AM

Dave, I'd really like to ask you how you came to that conclusion.
Certainly you're speaking from actual experience to have such conviction in your opinion.
Please Dave, enlighten us.
All of the AMC line were crap. Cars made from cheap parts that rusted away as you looked at them.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

All of the AMC line were crap. Cars made from cheap parts that rusted away as you looked at them.
Have to disagree on that one 180 : I bought a '73 AMC Sportabout as a work car when I was a Field Engineer, turned out to be a very reliable car. Only had one issue with it over 3 years and 70,000 miles, the exhaust manifold on the straight 6 cracked, I had it welded and had no more issues.

Quick Reply: Can You Identify theses 2 Cars?