CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Other Vehicles (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/other-vehicles/)
-   -   motorcycle problem (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/other-vehicles/24364-motorcycle-problem.html)

manisusmc 05-09-2008 05:27 AM

motorcycle problem

my honda shadow is sputtering really bad under load at high rpm, it revs great in neutral, but while in gear it cuts back to the point of all most shutting off the higher the rpm's, my top speed was around 100. now it's 50 at best. anybody know what it could be?

spensley 05-09-2008 06:33 AM

Re: motorcycle probelm

Make sure you're getting a good spark - check the leads.
Start with the simple, easy and cheap stuff first.

Valk 05-09-2008 08:19 AM

Gummed up carburetors can cause this too.
I had a Magna and that was the problem.
I also had a KZ650 and had one bad coil.
Only ran on two out of four cylinders

Steve - UK 05-09-2008 12:21 PM

Hi, :D
1: Check the spark plug gaps, if the gap is too small it will run ok at low revs but stutter and missfire at high revs.
2: Check that the float or needle valve in the carburettor is not sticking. If it doesnt open properly, fuel starvation happens at high revs under load.
3: Does it have a choke for cold starting. It it sticking on, this causes rough running in the higher rev range.
4: It there an in-line fuel filter that needs cleaning out, it maybe starved of fuel.
5: Does the fuel filter inside the tank need cleaning, again fuel starvation.
6: Check out the air filter, might be choking her.
Good luck mate!
Steve:D:D:D

mrphotoman 05-09-2008 01:07 PM

yeah i was going to say check out the exhaust and the air filter to make sure they are not clogged and then check the carbs

manisusmc 05-09-2008 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Steve - UK
Hi, :D
1: Check the spark plug gaps, if the gap is too small it will run ok at low revs but stutter and missfire at high revs.
2: Check that the float or needle valve in the carburettor is not sticking. If it doesnt open properly, fuel starvation happens at high revs under load.
3: Does it have a choke for cold starting. It it sticking on, this causes rough running in the higher rev range.
4: It there an in-line fuel filter that needs cleaning out, it maybe starved of fuel.
5: Does the fuel filter inside the tank need cleaning, again fuel starvation.
6: Check out the air filter, might be choking her.
Good luck mate!
Steve:D:D:D

yeah i've messes with it all day and checked all that except for the carb so im taking it to the shop next week, thanks, it just blows my mind that i rode all day the day before and then BAM it goes to hell, but i guess somebody got to help keep the motorcycle shop in the green.

yanni2112 05-18-2008 02:34 AM

Re: motorcycle problem

Did you by chance change your pipes and have the carbs re-jetted?

manisusmc 05-18-2008 06:35 PM

Re: motorcycle problem

I guess a little water got into my gas, because it just cleared itself up and she's runnin fine.