CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Other Vehicles (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/other-vehicles/)
-   -   An Airplane With Attitude (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/other-vehicles/26554-airplane-attitude.html)

Brent 07-24-2008 09:45 PM

An Airplane With Attitude

4 Attachment(s)
Forget the Plymouth - this is real attitude.

This Sky Raider frequently shows up at my airport it's imposing looks just begged to be photographed.

The grayscale (i.e. black and white) pictures was an attempt at a "period" look. This is fitting since the hangars are probably older than the plane.

Stogey 07-25-2008 05:45 PM

Re: An Airplane With Attitude

Attitude Indeed ! Nice A-1 ! :D

Highlander 07-28-2008 06:50 AM

Nice........but I would still take the F4U Corsair.

Kurts 07-28-2008 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
.....or an A-10.
Attachment 10362
The WI Air National Guard used to fly these babies over my in-laws land in Cent. WI all the time & they were a gas to watch. Low, darn near over the treetops, you'd hear that whine & stop what you were doing & just gawk.
The A-10 Warthog, seriously mean.......
By the way Brent, AirVenture started today. I gotta see if I can get down there sometime this week & snap a few pics.

maxcichon 07-28-2008 07:17 PM

Heeeees Back!

I used to train in kurtz neck of the woods with the A-10. serious business We used to call it the "Flyin' Fart" because of the sound of the Vulcan cannon. ROMAD support for FAC's. Some of the old timers in my unit (176 Tactical Air Support Squadron) were in Viet Nam and preferred to call in the Sky Raider if it was close enough. Slow but really accurate for ground support.

FP 07-28-2008 07:23 PM

Welcome back Max. I hope you enjoyed your vacation.

maxcichon 07-28-2008 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by FP
Welcome back Max. I hope you enjoyed your vacation.

Thanks pal, glad to be back!

Brent 07-28-2008 07:54 PM

The only thing better than a Warthog is two Warthogs.

Never seen a Corsair come into Montgomery Field. There was a T-28 that was hangared near where the A-1 was photgraphed but I haven't seen it months. About 10 years ago a Grumman Wildcat I believe tookoff from Montgomery.

Would really appreciate it if you could get pictures, Kurts. We have a customer who flies his Grumman Tiger to EAA every year so you may spot him. His plane is blue with white trim. Can't recall the N number but it's something like 4625L. The customer is a real nice guy and you would never believe how old he is.

Kurts 07-29-2008 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Heeeees Back!

I used to train in kurtz neck of the woods with the A-10. serious business We used to call it the "Flyin' Fart" because of the sound of the Vulcan cannon. ROMAD support for FAC's. Some of the old timers in my unit (176 Tactical Air Support Squadron) were in Viet Nam and preferred to call in the Sky Raider if it was close enough. Slow but really accurate for ground support.

Max, out of Volk Field? Zipping around Adams, Juneau, Marquette counties?

Kurts 07-29-2008 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Brent
The only thing better than a Warthog is two Warthogs.

Never seen a Corsair come into Montgomery Field. There was a T-28 that was hangared near where the A-1 was photgraphed but I haven't seen it months. About 10 years ago a Grumman Wildcat I believe tookoff from Montgomery.

Would really appreciate it if you could get pictures, Kurts. We have a customer who flies his Grumman Tiger to EAA every year so you may spot him. His plane is blue with white trim. Can't recall the N number but it's something like 4625L. The customer is a real nice guy and you would never believe how old he is.

I will try my darndest, Brent but this coming weekend may already be a lost cause. Just saw some 10:00 news clips featuring the Dreamlifter taking off.....good lord, how does that thing even get off the ground?!

Brent 07-29-2008 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this the Dreamlifter?

maxcichon 07-30-2008 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kurts
Max, out of Volk Field? Zipping around Adams, Juneau, Marquette counties?

Volk it was and McCoy and Douglas too. A bit farther away from you, but one helluva' lot closer than Auburn, AL!

One of the fun(?) things about that billet was occasionally getting a ride in an O-2A Cessna. Seen it? Twin boom with a push/pull configuration and slow as can be. Kinda' like a motorized balloon!

Kurts 07-30-2008 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Brent
Is this the Dreamlifter?

Nope & I missed this story last night, too, darn it!
The Dreamlifter is this fatboy of a plane:
Attachment 10373
A plane that looks like it needs to go on a diet!

edit

While watching this thing take off yesterday on the news my wife said "does that thing actually get off the ground?". It's like watching geese taking off, you wonder when they're gonna stop running & start flying.

Kurts 07-30-2008 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Volk it was and McCoy and Douglas too. A bit farther away from you, but one helluva' lot closer than Auburn, AL!

One of the fun(?) things about that billet was occasionally getting a ride in an O-2A Cessna. Seen it? Twin boom with a push/pull configuration and slow as can be. Kinda' like a motorized balloon!

Evenin', Max!

Nope, can't say I ever saw one or, more likely, was too busy wading through a trout stream to pay any attention. You couldn't miss the A-10's though.....you'd hear them well before you'd see them.
Ah, the good ole days..........