CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Other Vehicles (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/other-vehicles/)
-   -   Four runners (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/other-vehicles/47297-four-runners.html)

+fireamx 12-30-2010 12:52 AM

Re: Four runners

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Polaris is made in America no? Hence my interest their.
I would love a chat with your nephew if he has a moment and the inclination.

Franc, my Civic was built about 3 hrs. from where I live, Marysville Ohio.
I think they build some bikes here in the U.S. as well, but I'm not sure where they build their ATV's. Somebody here on the forum has got to have one so maybe they'll chime in.
I hear they're going to start building Harley's in India, so there's that "Global Market" thing again.
My Nephew is getting married and Honey Mooning in Puerto Rico, and he's there now, so he's going to be out of touch for awhile. When he gets back I'll give him a call. He lives just outside of Memphis (in Mississippi). Knowing him, he may even have one For Sale.
The last time I talked to him, he said he had a couple of Turbo Charged Honda Wave Runners, so it's kind of hard to keep up with him and his toys.;)

Franc Rauscher 12-30-2010 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Franc, my Civic was built about 3 hrs. from where I live, Marysville Ohio.
I think they build some bikes here in the U.S. as well, but I'm not sure where they build their ATV's. Somebody here on the forum has got to have one so maybe they'll chime in.
I hear they're going to start building Harley's in India, so there's that "Global Market" thing again.
My Nephew is getting married and Honey Mooning in Puerto Rico, and he's there now, so he's going to be out of touch for awhile. When he gets back I'll give him a call. He lives just outside of Memphis (in Mississippi). Knowing him, he may even have one For Sale.
The last time I talked to him, he said he had a couple of Turbo Charged Honda Wave Runners, so it's kind of hard to keep up with him and his toys.;)

I hesitate to go political here but the folks who own Honda reside elswhere. Polaris, I believe is an American company. So is John Deere. If US workers want to build Harleys here they should vote for representatives who won't chase the jobs offshore. Even GM is going to China.

I would like to talk to your nephew and get his insight. As I will likely buy used, durability is where I will find value. However, I need to know what models are best suited for my needs and my budget. Sounds like he could provide valuable help there. I will PM my contact info

thanks.

onehundred80 12-30-2010 02:51 AM

I hesitate to go political here but the folks who own Honda reside elswhere. Polaris, I believe is an American company. So is John Deere. If US workers want to build Harleys here they should vote for representatives who won't chase the jobs offshore. Even GM is going to China.
thanks.

That's the attitude, buy domestic (and Canadian) and keep the jobs here.
Nothing wrong with GM and others going to China to build cars for China but after the bailouts lets keep our jobs at home.

+fireamx 12-30-2010 04:23 AM

Am I the only one hear that finds it just a little hypocritical for us to be "Flag Waivers" and carry signs saying "Buy American" all the time, when everybody here is driving a "German" built car?:confused:
All I know is, when I purchased my Honda, over 15000 "Ohio" workers benefitted from it.
I've purchased 19 brand new cars in the last 41 years.
8 built in the U.S.A.
1 built in Canada
1 built in Mexico
1 built in Germany
8 built in Japan
So I guess I'm only 1/2 a patriot.;) :)

Franc Rauscher 12-30-2010 08:48 AM

Am I the only one hear that finds it just a little hypocritical for us to be "Flag Waivers" and carry signs saying "Buy American" all the time, when everybody here is driving a "German" built car?:confused:
All I know is, when I purchased my Honda, over 15000 "Ohio" workers benefitted from it.
I've purchased 19 brand new cars in the last 41 years.
8 built in the U.S.A.
1 built in Canada
1 built in Mexico
1 built in Germany
8 built in Japan
So I guess I'm only 1/2 a patriot.;) :)

To be honest my friend, that is a rather easy and cheap shot. And considering the sources for most of the components in our cars, it is hard to claim some flagwaving pride over any vehicle.

BUT, if you had read my post you could have seen that I prefer to buy my products from American owned companies. Imagine my joy when Chrysler, my company of choice for autos, put their badge on a Benz.

Polaris imports it's engines from Fuji, parent Co of Subaru. But they are based in MN and manufacture in several states here in the USA.

Has nothing to do with being a "patriot." Which, sadly, has become another abused word. I would suggest we ought to give that word a bit more reverance and respect.

Can I request that we stop using it to club each other?

+fireamx 12-30-2010 11:18 AM

To be honest my friend, that is a rather easy and cheap shot. And considering the sources for most of the components in our cars, it is hard to claim some flagwaving pride over any vehicle.
BUT, if you had read my post you could have seen that I prefer to buy my products from American owned companies. Imagine my joy when Chrysler, my company of choice for autos, put their badge on a Benz.
Polaris imports it's engines from Fuji, parent Co of Subaru. But they are based in MN and manufacture in several states here in the USA.
Has nothing to do with being a "patriot." Which, sadly, has become another abused word. I would suggest we ought to give that word a bit more reverance and respect.
Can I request that we stop using it to club each other?

Franc this is why you never see me posting in the political section, nothing ever gets resolved, nobody ever leaves with their mind changed, and quite often hard feelings are induced.
Two things I usually don't discuss is Religion and Politics.
Unfortunately, Politics and our economy are so entwined you can't speak of one without including the other.

Maybe I chose the wrong word by saying patriot, but I've actually been accused of not being very "patrotic" simply because I choose a Japanese vehicle over something American. When that happened at work (many years ago) I simply pointed out how many everyday products most people have in their homes that wasn't made in the U.S.of A. and that argument was simply dismissed as being irrelevant. Then when I pointed out that the G.M. car they were so proud of was built in Mexico, I was quickly reminded that it was still an American Co. So I usually stop right there, because it's like whipping a dead horse. They just didn't get it.

I like to think that I have at least a little more knowledge about cars than the average consumer, Simply because I usually try to keep up with what's out there, how they perform, their durability, and how well they generally do the job they're designed to do. That being said, when I was in the car business, and people would come to our lot and tell me what they were looking for, I usually always recommended a Honda, if I felt it could fulfill their needs. I never had anybody ever come back and complain about any Honda I ever sold either. I can't say that about any of the other makes that I sold.

Just like anybody else here on the forum, I buy what I like, and what suits me the best. If it's from an American Co. all the better. But I'm not going to purchase a product that I think is inferior over another, simple because of it's place of origin. I don't think many others will either.

No clubing, or cheap shots were ever pointed in your direction Franc, I thought you knew me better than that. I was simply trying to point out that even though I may come off as an anti-American consumer at times (for promoting Hondas) that my track record (when it comes to buying new vehicles) has been pretty equally distributed amongst the usual suspects.
To get back to the original topic, it simply boils down to Polaris<Honda IMO, and that's all there is to it. Maybe that's all I should have said in the first place.:)

Happy New Year to Everybody!

Franc Rauscher 12-30-2010 12:03 PM

Happy New Year to Everybody!

No offense was taken. I understand your points here.

There is nothing wrong with buying products that best fits your needs, budget, and desires. It is the obligation of the producers to give you an incentive to do so. This no matter the nationality.

It is how the free enterprise system should work and there is nothing unpatriotic about participation in that process.

After two days of research I have come to the conclusions you presented. Honda or Polaris. I have no real patriotic issues with either. So with that said, I would again invite your nephew's advice. With much graditude.

PM sent.

franc

Franc Rauscher 03-27-2011 02:41 PM

OK, this is a no big deal post.
Crumpy went with Firemax's advice .
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqR,!mI...eEq5g~~_35.JPG '97 honda Forman. Advice from Firemax weighted the decision heavily. thanks. We bought older because, in general, they are simpler. This one runs like a deer. (OOPS) Thanks for the help guys

+fireamx 03-28-2011 08:25 PM

Franc, that's exactly the one my nephew had when he lived only 5 miles away from me.
I hope you have as great luck with it, that he had with his.
Congrats

Franc Rauscher 03-28-2011 11:13 PM

Franc, that's exactly the one my nephew had when he lived only 5 miles away from me.
I hope you have as great luck with it, that he had with his.
Congrats

Again, thanks for the help.

franc