Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

SRT-6 Solocross @ Salinas

Old 06-28-2011, 06:24 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default SRT-6 Solocross @ Salinas

Good morning race fans! A video to start the day.

YouTube - ‪CCCPR Solocross June 26, 2011‬‏

I've had a few events canceled for weather .... not because of rain but because the track was under water. On Sunday we had Solocross in Salinas which was attended by myself, a supercharged Thunderbird and the rest VW's and BMW's. I ended up being the fastest in my class and had the 2nd best overall time. The car enters the corners with lots of grip, is balanced mid corner but is loose getting off. It's also loose under power in high speed turns. My hope is that the Wavetrac will solve the problem putting down the power but if it doesn't, I see a 285 or 295 in my future. The car is blistering fast, I'm just giving up too much time cruising through the esses when I should be WOT.

As a exclamation point about how much difference a driver can make, the yellow M-3 was the fastest car of the day. So how did I eat his lunch and come in 2nd? The first heat the owner drove his car, the other heats a local pro drove it. He didn't beat my time by much and I got a good look at what he was doing different than me. He doesn't have to lift in the esses and he takes a much different line through the corner at the start finish line.

Les

Old 06-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: SRT-6 Solocross @ Salinas

Les, nice video....I need to get my camera out and mount that baby and do some driving...You do everything very smoothly. This is what is taught out there, as I have visited a few of the tracks...be smooth...well, I grew up racing motorcycles, and later in my early 20's was introduced to dirt track racing in stock cars...a little banging, and rubbing...lol...I tried to get into sprint cars and such, but you needed sponsor monies...not about the driver as much as the money...anyway, I tend to push harder thru the middle and on exit...uses tires up, but would increase times...I guess the old dirt tracker in me likes to see some sideways coming out, not kicking the tail out mind you, just the g-force pushing you sideways, getting all you can...the one thing I don't like about the XF, it's hard to get a feel for pushing her out on the exits...she wants to push the front end...I finally toyed with just flat throwing her into a curve, and it seems to help, but you had better not miss your timing, 'cause she will come around....lol...looks like great fun....maybe I will set the roadster up for some round tracking...and go straight with the coupe...I know a lot of people on here do a lot to set theirs up for the track....but, I think a better set of shocks, in my case would help...we use to play with the police cars at the track teaching EVOC...we didn't have the luxury of "setting" cars up, we had to use what they gave us...and in my case, that is what I will do...lol...she is what she is....I think getting my 6 point harness in the roadster would help as well. I remember the track day at St Louis, I couldn't stay in my seat...have fun...you are looking good....

Old 06-28-2011, 03:15 PM

Your right of course. I'm leaving a lot on the table. However, this car doesn't like to recover if the rear gets too far out of shape, it wants to snap back. I've drifted it before but it's tricky. I'm comfortable using the throttle to steer in the 30 to 50 mph range but I've gotten bitten at 75 or so a couple of times. You can see how I'm closing on the other cars under braking and in the slower sections where my manhood isn't shrinking. The front is sticking .... and so is the back until I'm rolling on the gas. If you watch my hands on the first lap you can see where the back started to let go in the fast esses and entering the straight before the cones. Just watch the hands and not the view and you will see the reaction to the wiggle. When I get the balance right with the K&W's I think you'll see more bravery.

Les

Old 06-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing Les. I like the angle of where you have the camera mounted.

We've only had one event so far this season. Too much rain. I came in first in the class, and 7th overall out of 34 -- not bad for the NA. Hoosiers really help, but the tail came around on my last lap due to entering the corner too fast, and lifting the throttle right in the corner. Live and learn.

Keep those videos coming.

Mike

Old 06-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

Great vids Les. Always inspriring.

No time for the track for me so I enjoy vicarously living through your lens.

many thanks.

Keep them coming.

roadster with a stick

Old 06-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why was that crazy guy standing on the track,then had to run to get out of your way? Squirrel Crusher

Old 06-29-2011, 02:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is so awesome! You always race with the windows open? I would think you would gain just a little more with them closed. I would love to just be a passenger in your car through all of that. Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work!

Last edited by Mimi05SRT6; 06-29-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:51 AM

This is for you Doc.

YouTube - ‪Exploring the limits‬‏

This is why I try not to drift the car. I was a novice when this happened, thinking back I think I had Pilot Sport Cups and Koni shocks at the time. Even with all the more recent changes to the car the tail end will snap back if you get more than a little out of shape. I have another video where the tail stepped out at a slower speed and I kept on the gas. After a few back and forth's it straighten up but would have been real hairy with concrete walls.

Les