CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Racing (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/racing/)
-   -   Limited Slip Differential for Road Racing (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/racing/75808-limited-slip-differential-road-racing.html)

Robert Andrew 01-23-2017 12:25 AM

Limited Slip Differential for Road Racing

Can you road racers tell me if I need a limited slip differential to control wheel spin in my SRT6 race car with good tires, NT01's. With street tires I have very limited traction in 1st. and 2nd. gear, and it resets the traction control unless I'm very gentle on the throttle.

RED DOG 01-23-2017 04:28 PM

Re: Limited Slip Differential for Road Racing

Yes . . . You should get a WaveTrac installed. BIG difference. Do a search on the forum for "WaveTrac" and you'll find LOTS of information.

I have one brand new WaveTrac unit / never installed. Let me know if you're interested . . . You can e-mail me directly at RedDogNumber1@aol.com. Bob Davis

hustler316 01-27-2017 11:52 AM

The Wavetrac is garbage on the racetrack. Nobody makes a LSD for these cars that is worth a damn...I wish someone did it would have saved a lot of heartache.

chuK_138 01-27-2017 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by hustler316 (Post 880995)
The Wavetrac is garbage on the racetrack. Nobody makes a LSD for these cars that is worth a damn...I wish someone did it would have saved a lot of heartache.

This is the first time I've heard a complaint about it, would you elaborate? I know the 1/4 mile guys love it but have never heard feedback from a road course driver. What are the downsides? Pardon my ignorance on the subject as I have neither the Wavetrac nor road track time.

Robert Andrew 01-27-2017 05:06 PM

Justin Stevenson and I talked at lengths last night about racing the crossfire and he said exactly the same thing about the WaveTrac. Isn't there another manufacturer of limited slip differentials that work in Crossfires? Quaife or something like that? Any experience with them?

chuK_138 01-27-2017 05:10 PM

I remember the name Phantom Grip for some reason.

Robert Andrew 01-27-2017 05:34 PM

Are you still running your Crossfire? If so, I'd like to pick your brain. I believe I sent you a PM a few weeks ago. I'll send another one.

Thanks,

Robert Andrew 01-27-2017 05:58 PM

I'll do some more research, and see what I can stir up. The problem with the WaveTrac on a road course, according to Justin, is that when cornering hard, and unloading the outside tire, the WaveTrac couldn't transfer the torque to the inside tire and adequately reduce the torque to the outside tire to minimize wheel spin. When I have watched the few videos of Crossfires on road course, you can hear them losing traction on the tight corners. See, you straightline guys have it easy:-))
Thanks for your feedback! Have fun!

hustler316 01-27-2017 06:12 PM

lol I am Justin

Robert Andrew 01-27-2017 08:37 PM

Justin who:-)) No wonder you said the same thing........
Thanks,

Squirrel Crusher 01-27-2017 08:44 PM

Wow! News to me. I love my WaveTrax. Squirrel Crusher

chuK_138 01-27-2017 09:52 PM

Phantom Grip just responded that they do sell a custom kit for us. I replied asking how much it is and will get back to you with that info.

Robert Andrew 01-27-2017 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by chuK_138 (Post 881016)
Phantom Grip just responded that they do sell a custom kit for us. I replied asking how much it is and will get back to you with that info.

ChuK, you're a good man! Thanks.

Robert Andrew 01-27-2017 10:07 PM

But aren't you a straight line guy? I think that's the big difference.

chuK_138 01-27-2017 10:15 PM

I am, but I also have a reputation for finding parts and helping owners where I can. Plus I learned something with the above information.

chuK_138 01-27-2017 10:28 PM

Just got their response. The rep said $399-499, not 100% sure since his designer is on vacation. You can contact them yourself at phantomgrip.com.

Robert Andrew 01-27-2017 10:28 PM

I certainly appreciate your help. I like to learn as I go too. I've got a lot to learn.

Robert Andrew 01-27-2017 10:30 PM

Holy cow! The price is certainly right. Surely they don't manufacture them on a custom designed basis for that price. I'll get with them. Thanks!!!

Robert Andrew 01-27-2017 11:06 PM

I sent them an email. Thanks so much for your help!! I'll let you know how it works out. I hope they can get me ready for the National Corvette Museum track in mid March.

stevieb 01-29-2017 12:39 PM

Shall be following this thread as well