Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!

Old 10-13-2014, 08:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!

Any chance MB built in a lag/hestitation to make the SLKs Seem faster just as they understated the HP on the NAs compared to the SLKS? My SB definitely took care of the slow response in my 2005 limited, something the CAI, 74MM TB & EC tune couldn't.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by austinbarrylee
question to all sb experts. do you still have to occasionally do throttle resets. i have a sb on modded 6. sometimes to do because i dont drive the car aggessively unless challenged. i know our ecu memorizes driving habits and yes i have from eurocharged. once i do a reset theres a change still.
Yes I still do as I'm not an aggressive driver. Don't like wasting fuel. However, I do like having the performance there when I need it.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

throttle by wire systems uses the pedal to record the pressure your foot places on it, to convert that pressure into electronic signals to tell the throttle position sensor how much to open the butterfly in the throttle body. It is a complex system, in that all signals from various sensors are now sending information to the ecu, including the TPS, because you pushed down on the throttle. Old days, throttle linkage would perform this task. The lag you experience is built in because MB likes you to have a smooth transition. No jerky take offs or quick throttle response. The sprint booster just alters the signal sent to open the throttle at a higher percentage. There are two metering systems, one electromagnetic and one is a board where actual contact is made. Much like the early model intermittent wipers had, or volume control on your radio. So when you push on the throttle, that signal, isn't sent in those first few milliseconds, causing a lag in time, and causes the momentary hesitation. Change to an instant signal, the lag goes away. It has to be in the programming because that is what the system is. A complex network of sensors sending info to the ecu. Without programming, nothing would happen. Those of us who want the most performance from our cars, find ways to reprogram, or alter signals, in order to reprogram or trick the system into thinking one thing over another. Eurocharged can reprogram some things but not all, and in those cases we use things like the SB to trick the system. A TCU tune is the same thing as the TCU is a module which tells the tranny when to shift. Soft shifts or shifts that aren't firm happen because the ecu cuts timing at those milliseconds the tranny shifts. MB likes you to have a nice easy smooth experience. So, now we can program around it, where as before we might try to use a different solenoid for more pressure and firmer shifts.
What I don't like is someone telling everyone the SB doesn't work. It works. It does what it is supposed to do. If you don't want it, or think it isnt worth it, fine. But it works, and it works to trick the programming. As for we being 14 again, that isn't the case. Disrespect is the case. Something that is lost today. You disrespect me, you be ready for what comes with it. It's that simple. Now, I am done here. I won't waste my time. You know when I was about to sell the cars, it wasn't the cars.....gentlemen....people make you move on. Later, and thanks MAX..... I need to get down there....lol

Last edited by oledoc2u; 10-13-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
throttle by wire systems uses the pedal to record the pressure your foot places on it, to convert that pressure into electronic signals to tell the throttle position sensor how much to open the butterfly in the throttle body. It is a complex system, in that all signals from various sensors are now sending information to the ecu, including the TPS, because you pushed down on the throttle. Old days, throttle linkage would perform this task. The lag you experience is built in because MB likes you to have a smooth transition. No jerky take offs or quick throttle response. The sprint booster just alters the signal sent to open the throttle at a higher percentage. There are two metering systems, one electromagnetic and one is a board where actual contact is made. Much like the early model intermittent wipers had, or volume control on your radio. So when you push on the throttle, that signal, isn't sent in those first few milliseconds, causing a lag in time, and causes the momentary hesitation. Change to an instant signal, the lag goes away. It has to be in the programming because that is what the system is. A complex network of sensors sending info to the ecu. Without programming, nothing would happen. Those of us who want the most performance from our cars, find ways to reprogram, or alter signals, in order to reprogram or trick the system into thinking one thing over another. Eurocharged can reprogram some things but not all, and in those cases we use things like the SB to trick the system. A TCU tune is the same thing as the TCU is a module which tells the tranny when to shift. Soft shifts or shifts that aren't firm happen because the ecu cuts timing at those milliseconds the tranny shifts. MB likes you to have a nice easy smooth experience. So, now we can program around it, where as before we might try to use a different solenoid for more pressure and firmer shifts.
What I don't like is someone telling everyone the SB doesn't work. It works. It does what it is supposed to do. If you don't want it, or think it isnt worth it, fine. But it works, and it works to trick the programming. As for we being 14 again, that isn't the case. Disrespect is the case. Something that is lost today. You disrespect me, you be ready for what comes with it. It's that simple. Now, I am done here. I won't waste my time. You know when I was about to sell the cars, it wasn't the cars.....gentlemen....people make you move on. Later, and thanks MAX..... I need to get down there....lol

Bill... I want to commend you on this great,understandable, and articulated dissertation ..I,now,really know how it works...great job!!..I think this device does what a drag racer attempts to do when attempting to cut the tree lights...gain that millisecond for a jump on the other guy.....Thanks for sharing...Carl

Old 10-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Grumpy old fart...grumble...grumble...we gotta' stick together!

C'mon down anytime, buddy. I'll leave a light on!

Old 10-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oledoc2u You just can not argue with this younger generation.
They just do not understand logical conclusions.
I have had mine for appx 3 years and it is great.
Noticed the difference immediately.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by deltacrossfirebob
oledoc2u You just can not argue with this younger generation.
They just do not understand logical conclusions.
I have had mine for appx 3 years and it is great.
Noticed the difference immediately.
Got nothing to do with younger generation. I'm 28 years old and would never disrespect my elders. The guy was a clown and didn't know what he was talking about. Wanted to race a SRT6 in a N/A stock and also didn't have anything to say when he was called out and realized he sounded retarded. That is not age, that's just being an idiot!
Today I ordered the Eurocharged tune because I got it for a very good price but the first mod I ever did on my Xfire was the adjustable sprint booster and let me tell you the difference was like day and night! It is just so much more responsive and if I didn't know any better that throttle response feels like 50 hp was added to the engine!
Yes, it really isn't very sophisticated in respect to what it does as it's a pretty simple "fix" but the outcome is very impressive and I don't even know how I was able to drive this car without the cable!! That money is well spent considering the smile it puts on your face. If someone doesn't want to believe me, just test it for yourself and if it's not for you don't buy it!

Old 10-21-2014, 05:13 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nickwe21
Got nothing to do with younger generation. I'm 28 years old and would never disrespect my elders. The guy was a clown and didn't know what he was talking about. Wanted to race a SRT6 in a N/A stock and also didn't have anything to say when he was called out and realized he sounded retarded. That is not age, that's just being an idiot!
Today I ordered the Eurocharged tune because I got it for a very good price but the first mod I ever did on my Xfire was the adjustable sprint booster and let me tell you the difference was like day and night! It is just so much more responsive and if I didn't know any better that throttle response feels like 50 hp was added to the engine!
Yes, it really isn't very sophisticated in respect to what it does as it's a pretty simple "fix" but the outcome is very impressive and I don't even know how I was able to drive this car without the cable!! That money is well spent considering the smile it puts on your face. If someone doesn't want to believe me, just test it for yourself and if it's not for you don't buy it!
and your right it not about age, I have the old SB and it work great with the Tune , you going to get big kick in 2-3-4 ,

Old 10-21-2014, 08:01 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

FYI - I just listed a Sprint Booster with selectable programming (for any Crossfire with an automatic transmission) in the forum "items for sale" section.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Osofast2
and your right it not about age, I have the old SB and it work great with the Tune , you going to get big kick in 2-3-4 ,
Bought my Crossfire and one of the first things I read about on this forum was the SB. I must admit I was highly skeptical about this cable as I believed it was quite expensive for how simple it really was but I found it a little cheaper on Ebay (the one with the 3 settings) and because so many here swore by it I purchased it.
It was mind blowing to feel the difference with it!!! I love Mercedes but the fact that the response was not like this stock is embarrassing! This little gimmick does wonders and I love having it. I let people decide for themselves when they drive my car but simply setting it to stock and then to "racing mode" and haven't met one guy who didn't have a big smile on his face when feeling the difference.
Now, I got around purchasing the tune. Cable was shipped yesterday and I sent my ECU file to Eurocharged. Anxiously waiting to hear back from them so I can update the software and see for myself what a difference it makes!

Old 10-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
throttle by wire systems uses the pedal to record the pressure your foot places on it, to convert that pressure into electronic signals to tell the throttle position sensor how much to open the butterfly in the throttle body. It is a complex system, in that all signals from various sensors are now sending information to the ecu, including the TPS, So when you push on the throttle, that signal, isn't sent in those first few milliseconds, causing a lag in time, and causes the momentary hesitation. Change to an instant signal, the lag goes away. It has to be in the programming because that is what the system is. A complex network of sensors sending info to the ecu. ...lol
Yeah bullshit. That's a lot of words to explain a quite simple system that as we all know is universal on any modern car, the drive by wire throttle.
The system uses pedal movement, not pressure, to open the throttle. Any movement of the pedal causes a corresponding movement of the throttle blade.
To say that there is movement of the pedal without movement of the throttle blade is simply not based on factual information. The SB simply opens the throttle more for a given pedal movement.
While the SB does open the throttle milliseconds more quickly, as you say, it is the throttle blade being more open for a given pedal input that creates a more "responsive" driving experience.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ZX2 Nick
Yeah bullshit. That's a lot of words to explain a quite simple system that as we all know is universal on any modern car, the drive by wire throttle.
The system uses pedal movement, not pressure, to open the throttle. Any movement of the pedal causes a corresponding movement of the throttle blade.
To say that there is movement of the pedal without movement of the throttle blade is simply not based on factual information. The SB simply opens the throttle more for a given pedal movement.
While the SB does open the throttle milliseconds more quickly, as you say, it is the throttle blade being more open for a given pedal input that creates a more "responsive" driving experience.
Are you done yet???

Old 10-23-2014, 02:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah bullshit....

Old 10-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

Yeah bullshit.
Nothing more can be added to this thread that hasn't already been discussed

In closing I will add ..............