Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Program new key??

Old 10-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Program new key??

Hey group,

I just received my new spare key from Chrysler. It works in the door and ignition but the remote does not work. When I ordered (from Germany) they told me I had to bring the car in to program the remote. That made sense to me but when I picked it up today the tech said it was already programmed. NOT!!!

I swapped the batteries, with my old remote, and they are good.

Anyone have a clue on how to program a new key or do I have to take it in to the dealer?

Old 10-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Program new key??

I found this:

Here's the trick, in case anyone else runs into this issue.
Cycle the ignition on/off 3 times.
Leave it on the third time for at least 5 minutes - with the engine not running.

That will do it - why couldn't mercedes just say that the first three times?

And I also found this:

"The system may have to be resynchronized if the transmitter (key fob) is without sufficient voltage for several minutes. To synchronize, aim the transmitter eye at the vehicle and briefly press either the lock or the unlock button twice. Within approximately 30 seconds, insert the key in the ignition and turn it to the ON/RUN position. The remote control should once again be operational."

I hope this helps.
John

Old 10-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Forum Regular

I also received a new key a couple weeks ago. If you down load the repair manual of this site it gives you all the instructions on how to program your key.

I forget the procedure, but I did the programming myself and it works flawlessly.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Forum Regular

here you go, its a big file so have patience. http://www.gleamingedge.com/mirrors/...e%20Manual.pdf

Old 10-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

John.
Your second suggestion worked like a charm.
I aimed the eye of the remote at the car, pressed the lock button, and inserted the key into the ignition and turned to ON/RUN for 10 seconds. Turned it back to OFF, pulled the key out and all key fob buttons work!!!

I owe you one pal, thanks.

Rob

The following users liked this post:
Newbb (02-15-2023)
Old 03-07-2007, 06:47 PM

For everyone's convenience, here are the procedures from the Service Manual. I just got my second key and it worked perfectly after I did the following:

Keyless Entry Transmitter - Standard Procedure - Transmitter Programming.

The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Transmitter(s) can be programmed by the customer without special tools. Transmitter programming by the customer is done by performing the following steps:

1. Press either the lock or unlock button momentarily twice.

2. Turn the key in the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 30 seconds.

BTW, you can also test the key battery by pressing and holding both the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for more than one second. The batteries are charged sufficiently if the LED next to the ignition key blade lights up briefly.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks. Just bought a '04 Coupe and it came with only one key, and a condition of the sale was the dealer had to supply a second one (Lexus of Dayton), they did, brought it home an hour ago, performed the steps you listed and it works great. Alot easier than deciphering the manual. Thanks again.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:48 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenwick223
For everyone's convenience, here are the procedures from the Service Manual. I just got my second key and it worked perfectly after I did the following:

Keyless Entry Transmitter - Standard Procedure - Transmitter Programming.

The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Transmitter(s) can be programmed by the customer without special tools. Transmitter programming by the customer is done by performing the following steps:

1. Press either the lock or unlock button momentarily twice.

2. Turn the key in the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 30 seconds.

BTW, you can also test the key battery by pressing and holding both the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for more than one second. The batteries are charged sufficiently if the LED next to the ignition key blade lights up briefly.
I think this should be a sticky.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Angry Re: Program new key??

I just got a new key from ebay and I did the program steps and it wont work the doors won't unlock and the car won't start can someone please help!!!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: Program new key??

I did the same thing with my new key 2 weeks ago. Real easy to do. Keeps the dealers from making money on a programming fee...

When I got the key all it would do is start the vehicle.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Angry Re: Program new key??

Does the key fobs chip have to be programmed to the vin or something before you can do this??? I have tried to do this repetitively and the key still won't work!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 03:51 AM

Yes, they have to be programmed by VIN # with the drb3 which is a Chrysler diagnostic, programmer computer. I had the same issue that you had, but i made them pay for the labor to do it because, i bought the key and fob from there parts dept, which it should have come preprogrammed because i ordered it by the VIN #.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:25 PM
Cool Re: Program new key??

I just wanted to say "THANK YOU" to this forum once again.

My extra key for my 04 arrived in the mail today, I logged into the forum, researched for "program a new key" threads and found this post.

Toy's post and 2nd suggestion worked perfectly my new key was programmed and operational with in 20 seconds.

Credit to THE TOY for this tip:
"The system may have to be resynchronized if the transmitter (key fob) is without sufficient voltage for several minutes. To synchronize, aim the transmitter eye at the vehicle and briefly press either the lock or the unlock button twice. Within approximately 30 seconds, insert the key in the ignition and turn it to the ON/RUN position. The remote control should once again be operational."

An interesting side note: The TALLAHASSEE DODGE CHRYSLER DEALER here in my town offered to program my new key for $275.00 plus 3 hours of labor.

This forum is worth it's weight in gold. Thanks a lot ! Thanks, for allowing me to join !!!

Old 09-14-2017, 10:24 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Florida13
I just wanted to say "THANK YOU" to this forum once again.

My extra key for my 04 arrived in the mail today, I logged into the forum, researched for "program a new key" threads and found this post.

Toy's post and 2nd suggestion worked perfectly my new key was programmed and operational with in 20 seconds.

Credit to THE TOY for this tip:

An interesting side note: The TALLAHASSEE DODGE CHRYSLER DEALER here in my town offered to program my new key for $275.00 plus 3 hours of labor.

This forum is worth it's weight in gold. Thanks a lot ! Thanks, for allowing me to join !!!
Aiming the "eye" at the car is not required, just press the button twice etc.
List of re-settable Crossfire settings. CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-14-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:24 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Florida13

There is a difference between programming the FOB which could mean adding a FOB to the SKREEM and PTCM system or could mean syncing the FOB to unlock/lock the car.

Old 02-15-2023, 12:11 AM

I just did that and it worked for me also the clicking of the button twice singed at the car them got it turned the key to the on position with the engine off for about 15 seconds, pulled it out and it works. Thanks

Old 02-17-2023, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the info! This group is a wealth of knowledge!!

Last edited by skyward112; 02-17-2023 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 08:24 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This thread cured what ailed me!
I had disconnected the battery for about 6 months while going through some retina surgeries. I kept the battery on float during that time.
Reconnected the battery today and fired up the Silver Bullet to take Miss Judi, my Aussie bride, to lunch on this beautiful Florida day. All was well until I attempted to lock Bullet with a fob. NADA! Neither fob worked.
Although I remembered reading a fob reprogramming procedure in the manual, my vision prevents me from reading the PDF with white pages, BUT I was able to read this thread using a 55 inch monitor with inverse video.
Easy Peasy and both fobs are functional again.
Cheers,

Old 03-05-2024, 05:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can see well enough to drive though??