Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Soda Spillage

Old 06-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soda Spillage

I'm not sure if this should go here or in the detailing section... It's sort of both, really.

So... I was coming to work this morning and stopped to get a drink. I put the drink down after opening it just a crack while I was getting something out of the trunk. I closed the trunk and the soda falls off the console and begins spewing soda everywhere. Fine. I clean that up and head on my merry way to work.

I decide opening the windows might be nice as it is a really nice day today. Apparently some soda got into the passenger side window button as it is now sticky and I had to actually press it several times to get the passenger window to go back UP. Gah!

Anyone have any good ideas how to clean this out? Am I going to have to replace the button? Shop visit? Man, that would suck. Anyway, any good ideas anyone has would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Soda Spillage

Stop by Radio Shack and get a can of electronic parts cleaner (freon). If it's really bad, the console is fairly easy to remove, as well as the switches, if it needs deeper cleaning than you can from the top.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:17 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by XFiringInNC
I'm not sure if this should go here or in the detailing section... It's sort of both, really.

So... I was coming to work this morning and stopped to get a drink. I put the drink down after opening it just a crack while I was getting something out of the trunk. I closed the trunk and the soda falls off the console and begins spewing soda everywhere. Fine. I clean that up and head on my merry way to work.

I decide opening the windows might be nice as it is a really nice day today. Apparently some soda got into the passenger side window button as it is now sticky and I had to actually press it several times to get the passenger window to go back UP. Gah!

Anyone have any good ideas how to clean this out? Am I going to have to replace the button? Shop visit? Man, that would suck. Anyway, any good ideas anyone has would be appreciated.

Thanks!
If all fails, take the switches out and rinse them with water, and let them dry completely. Then you might want to consider this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrys...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 06-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by XFiringInNC
Apparently some soda got into the passenger side window button as it is now sticky and I had to actually press it several times to get the passenger window to go back UP. Gah!

Anyone have any good ideas how to clean this out?
~ the solution is WD40.

no need to disassemble anything... spray some WD40 into the switch area and click the switch back in forth multiple times... this will solve your issue...
and have no side effects... to all trust me again!

another problem solved by... 'mr. clean'

Old 06-22-2007, 04:21 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FP
If all fails, take the switches out and rinse them with water, and let them dry completely. Then you might want to consider this.
To take the switches out, pry gently (with a credit card or something that will not scratch) on the rear of the gear shift surround. It should pop up easily. Then, you will have access to your window buttons.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:43 AM

Thank you everyone! The switches are fine now. And she survived her second road trip (to the mountains this time) without any additional spillage.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:34 AM

I just remembered reading where others have spilled drinks onto the transmission shifter (auto only). The transmission in these cars are all electronics where the shifter is. I have heard of it getting zapped if too much liquid makes its way underneath. Be careful.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by crossfreak
I just remembered reading where others have spilled drinks onto the transmission shifter (auto only). The transmission in these cars are all electronics where the shifter is. I have heard of it getting zapped if too much liquid makes its way underneath. Be careful.
Mine is a 6 speed, so I am safe from that gremlin, at least.