Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Performance Chips - Help

Old 12-29-2007, 05:14 PM
NXM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Chips - Help

Gday

First and foremost, I know nothing about the technical side of cars nor how to install modifications etc... So bare that in mind!

I have been looking through eBay on the different things for sale for the xfire, and I see multiple listings for performance chip/module engine enhancements. Such as

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERFO...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Perfo...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DAIML...QQcmdZViewItem

To use an Australian expression, are these products "fair dinkum"? That is, are they credible? If so, how do they work? What is the best strategy/option? What is a realistic horsepower/kilowatt increase? I see some of these adds say 45HP (approx 33 kW) increase. Yet I see some people on the forum have gone for 22HP options.

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Life is random...so am I.
Default Re: Performance Chips - Help

LOL.....don't waste your money on those snake oil salesmen......I have a proven process to turn lead into gold......i'll sell it to you real cheap!

Old 12-30-2007, 08:07 PM

I posted a similar question a few days ago and got the same response....When one says they are all smoke and mirrors and don't work...how do they know? I'd like to hear from someone who has some knowledge about this from personal experience rather than from those that have never tried these chips. It seems to me that there has to be some shred of truth to the claims or they would be illegal to market. This is much the same as the Tornado devices that are continually marketed, under other names to, but they do have some credibility, athough I have never used these either. I surely do not want to try something that I can't get any testimonials for, either for or against.

Anyone who has had personal experience with these devies would be helpful.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stop calling it a chip ... the guy is selling you a resistor in a box that you splice inline to the intake temperature sensor ... can there be gains had with these ? yes cause you effectively tell the ECU the air temp is different than it really is making it advance the timing cause its looking at a different part of the timing map ... maybe you'll gain 5 maybe you'll gain 30 (along with the destruction of your engine at that point ... timing and detonation go hand in hand)

for that price you think they had a crossfire to test it on and they made sure that under no circumstances and variable operating temperatures the timing is not advanced to the point were ping occurs and you damage your engine internally ? absolutely not ... they are ramping the timing map without knowledge of how it will affect every car in the various climates out there ... they just slap a resistor on every car and hope for the best.

but by all means feel free to gain some personal experience with this ....

unless you have a OBD2 scan tool to monitor your stock timing and map it then remap it after the modification so you can assure yourself there are no abnormal timing spikes happening due to the modified IAT signal i would not risk it ... your knock sensors will only save the car for so long.

on the other hand you can spend some real money on a ECU reprogramming that is known to deliver a real 20hp cause it has been done over and over again ...

proceed with caution and the life of your engine at stake .... what is good is not cheap and what is cheap is not good

Old 12-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by nrandy58
I posted a similar question a few days ago and got the same response....When one says they are all smoke and mirrors and don't work...how do they know? I'd like to hear from someone who has some knowledge about this from personal experience rather than from those that have never tried these chips. It seems to me that there has to be some shred of truth to the claims or they would be illegal to market. This is much the same as the Tornado devices that are continually marketed, under other names to, but they do have some credibility, athough I have never used these either. I surely do not want to try something that I can't get any testimonials for, either for or against.

you wanted an answer and I gave you one.......If I have to get long and drawn out about it I could........like for instance I could point out the link at the top of the page, right in between the "new posts" and "Quick Links".......it's titled "Search"

Maybe if some of you noobs spent as much time searching the forum you'd not need to search the internet so often for a "make tons of horsepower for no cash" type of deal.

Point being.....this subject has been discussed at great length many times before....people have tried them and paid the price for their "savings" on a power adding device that was not researched and tested. (do you really think someone in their basement knows more about the car than the Mercedes engineers?)

Moreover, if these resistors really worked, don't you think everyone on this forum would have one? The forum is all about improving the Crossfire.....but if you can't recognize a snake oil salesman, then by all means go ahead and try it! Be sure to let us know how it works! But, I'd like to know your VIN so we can log it as one that nobody wants to buy secondhand without a VERY comprehensive checkup!

Old 12-31-2007, 12:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey come on now guys I am usually the one doing all the yelling at the newbies lol all joking aside searching is the best way to gain knowledge about these vehicles. Its best to do your research and then start a post with an open ended question. If you would have typed in ebay chip in the search you would have come across a post that tells you this is a resistor and can be bought at Radio Shack for 37 cents. No one is here teaching anyone a lesson, It just gets old seeing the same posts over and over again. I have snapped a time or two ask apkano lol.. I have to remember what may be a stupid question to me may not be a stupid question to someone else....

AS for the TORNADO HAVING CREDIBILITY LMAO THOSE THINGS ARE NOTHING BUT MARKETING CRAP I mean seriously SEARCH ANYWHERE and find me a dyno chart that shows a gain of any kind not on the website selling that Piece of CRAP.... IT HAS been proven to show a loss of 10% HP and more then 20% more fuel consumption. LOL http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...32.html?page=2

READ, RESEARCH, THEN POST

the question at hand is do these really save MPG and clean your carpets lol http://www.brianmcneil.myffi.biz/en/...d=16&Itemid=27

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 12-31-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:34 AM

Thank you for your response...as you said, and I am a firm believer to, there are no stupid questions. Your response is exactly what I needed to see. A simple direction to search previous posts would have been just fine as well. I just purchased my Crossfire, and I sure as hell do not want to damage the motor in anyway, and joining this forum is what I thought would be the best avenue to post the questions I have to gain knowledge from those who know. From responses like yours I'm pleased with this avenue.
,Randy

Old 08-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Red face Re: Performance Chips - Help

I paid 595.00 to a firm in california to reset ecu timing advaned too far car began to miss under heavy load save your money by the way this company used flash technology probably in reference to my money flashing by

Old 08-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by docsteve
I paid 595.00 to a firm in california to reset ecu timing advaned too far car began to miss under heavy load save your money by the way this company used flash technology probably in reference to my money flashing by
Holy old thread Batman! I'm sure they've done what they had to do way back then.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had tvt design reprogram my computer and I installed the larger injectors they sell.
I am happy with the results
I work on cars for a living and I also agree any chip you splice inline is not a good thing, not going to do as advertised. 50 ish horse power out of any tune for this car without other modifications is plain B.S.
Serch tvt,immotion ,barbus,ecu ,ecm ,tune ,ect

Old 08-11-2008, 05:47 AM
TVT_DESIGN

Originally Posted by nrandy58

We had a customer install one of these on his car in CA. Initially the car ran fine as the chip fools the ECU into thinking the IATs are lower and therefore increases fuel, resulting in more power. After a few weeks he would notice erratic power changes, hard starts, and occassional stalling. Needless to say after several trips to the dealer trying to diagnose this problem we advised to remove the chip and all was better.

If it's too good to be true, it is.