Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Mercedes Air Box W/CAI

Old 11-14-2008, 04:52 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Mercedes Air Box W/CAI

Originally Posted by deloreanbiker
Okay - let me try again. Bought my MB airbox over the net and it appears to be identical to TVT's. I admit that there is a very slight difference between the fit of the tubes on the Xfire box and on the MB box I have, but nothing major. The tubes do fit, just have to take a moment or two in attaching them.That would seem to indicate that I have an SLK320 airbox, but I'd like to know for sure.

Anybody got a part number on the TVT or FP MB airbox????
I'll take the cover off tomorrow and check the numbers. Is your cover a two piece cover? Mine is.
Look at these pics. The one on the left is what I have, the other is from an SLK. They look very similar but if you look close you can see the one on the left is bigger.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SLK320cover1.JPG (68.1 KB, 776 views)
File Type: jpg
XF_06_MODS_008.jpg (108.2 KB, 266 views)

Last edited by FP; 11-15-2008 at 04:57 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:10 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm totally on board with this product. Just waiting for the dyno and pricing.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:39 AM

TVT!!! You could probably benefit from purchasing a RENNTech C class Air Box and Disecting and making one like it. They claim 15-20 RWHP but when i inquire them about it they would not sell it for crossfire use cause they could not guarantee fitment. But it is 3/4" taller and they built a ram air setup into it. And it is Pretty CarbonFiber... Just an idea.... maybe you could try cutting the c class airbox up and putting spacers in it to get more volume in the box.

Just some ideas!

Old 11-15-2008, 08:40 AM

FP - mine is not two pieces! Crap! Guess this might mean I'll have to get another. Gee, then I'll have 3 airboxes - one Xfire and two MB - maybe I've just found anew collector hobby

Old 11-15-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
We just finished up a customer's car (C-class) and was able to basically replace the intake tubes and keep the stock CAI induction.

Is there any interest in this for the Crossfire?

I would suggest upgrading to the MB box if so as the flow is almost double the Crossfire box.

Below are some pics.
I'd be interested in a bolt on kit, any way you could package the MB box with it? Cost?

Old 11-15-2008, 09:01 AM
TVT_DESIGN

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
TVT!!! You could probably benefit from purchasing a RENNTech C class Air Box and Disecting and making one like it. They claim 15-20 RWHP but when i inquire them about it they would not sell it for crossfire use cause they could not guarantee fitment. But it is 3/4" taller and they built a ram air setup into it. And it is Pretty CarbonFiber... Just an idea.... maybe you could try cutting the c class airbox up and putting spacers in it to get more volume in the box.

Just some ideas!
I've seen one in person and it's nothing special. Plus I've yet to see a dyno backing those results. And the steep price tag is ridiculous.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:36 AM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by deloreanbiker
FP - mine is not two pieces! Crap! Guess this might mean I'll have to get another. Gee, then I'll have 3 airboxes - one Xfire and two MB - maybe I've just found anew collector hobby
I'm sure you can sell the XF and current MB box here on the forum.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Forum Regular

I've seen one in person and it's nothing special. Plus I've yet to see a dyno backing those results. And the steep price tag is ridiculous.
Yeah, there is no way I would pay the 2G's that Renntech wants for that intake.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:06 AM

I thought most CAI (and other intake mods) were hard to confirm on a dyno due to not being "real world"? I mean gains could be seen but it would be hard to say 100% without real wind and airflow. Even with the fan in front of the car the fan does not speed up when the car does, etc.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:44 AM

i am not saying to make it that expensive but just saying that they re did the inside and gave it even more volume. just something to look into. i would do it but the only way to get to an awd dyno is kansas city which is 4 hours away. Just some ideas. It seems like to me that the more volume you have the better the gains are.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:33 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Originally Posted by CrazyInBlack
I thought most CAI (and other intake mods) were hard to confirm on a dyno due to not being "real world"? I mean gains could be seen but it would be hard to say 100% without real wind and airflow. Even with the fan in front of the car the fan does not speed up when the car does, etc.
I know we've posted 8 RWHP with our CAI on a dyno and Needswings has done the same. That alone shows how restrictive the stock intake is. With a ram air set-up, at speed tests would show better results.

As for the volume, the C320 airbox is a good 50% increase in volume and probably more then enough for these engines.

With a new MB cover, intake tubes, and KN filters we're looking around the 350.00 mark. I'll shoot over to MB tomorrow and confirm our wholesale price and the discount for quantity.

I'd expect this set-up to pick up 8RWHP (which seems to be the most for an intake set-up) and close to 15RWTQ. This will pretty much beat the current CAI offerings and look extremely clean.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Forum Regular

350? And we get the better intake and MB cover? Put me on the list.

Last edited by Skyshadow; 11-16-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:48 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Once this is all finished and posted up it is being offered as a alternative to the CAI in the second TVT265 Group Buy.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:40 AM
TVT_DESIGN

Ok everything fits up, and uses the same pipes as the C-class.

Cost for the pipes, filters, and Box is going to be $395.00 shipped. THe box will come gutted with filters installed and ready to go.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay,
Just to be clear on this. For $395.00 we get a C Class air box which is larger and better flowing then a 320 SLK air box that is currently on my car. The box will be gutted and have filters, OEM or K&N? The tubes to the grill will be the same pollished or chrome tubes that are in the earlier pics in this thread? All with shipping included, Correct?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:18 AM
TVT_DESIGN

Originally Posted by Isellthem
Okay,
Just to be clear on this. For $395.00 we get a C Class air box which is larger and better flowing then a 320 SLK air box that is currently on my car. The box will be gutted and have filters, OEM or K&N? The tubes to the grill will be the same pollished or chrome tubes that are in the earlier pics in this thread? All with shipping included, Correct?
As long as you're in the USA, then yes.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:44 AM

And if you are in Canada ??
I am making the assumption that any cost difference ,other than rate of exchange, would be for shipping- ?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:44 AM

TVT - any place where this larger MB irbox is too close to hoses or wiring? And, now that you have fitted the system into your Xfire, can we see a couple of pix? Thanks!

Old 11-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, so the filters will be OEM paper???? If yes, I will want to purchase K&N panel filters. Would I order them for a C320? . . if so what year range or model #? If no, what year and model MB would I need them for? Sorry to be a pest, but I have a 320 SLK air box that looks nice but provides no real benifit. I also have a 3.2 litre MB engine cover to use with a CAI but it's the one with the oil filter hole that doesn't quite line up. I just want to make sure I get it right this time around. Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by Isellthem; 11-19-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:25 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Filters installed will be KN filters and we'll include the OEM paper if you want, for $25.00 extra.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Air Box W/CAI