Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Spoiler Operation

Old 02-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler Operation

can the rear spoiler be activated to rise at a lower speed than 60mph ie; come up at 40 ish + mph and come down at 30 ist mph. Living in a country with a mind blowing 65 miles of motorway that the speed is 70mph and the rest is 60mph. any ideas out there............................................. ..

Old 02-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Spoiler Operation

Originally Posted by davidhamilton
can the rear spoiler be activated to rise at a lower speed than 60mph ie; come up at 40 ish + mph and come down at 30 ist mph. Living in a country with a mind blowing 65 miles of motorway that the speed is 70mph and the rest is 60mph. any ideas out there............................................. ..
Press the button. 2nd from the left...

Old 02-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Press the button. 2nd from the left...
Yup.....definitely ought to do the trick.

Excellent advice yet again John.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:46 PM

I'm gunning for a customer service award....

Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 PM

being more specific can you reset the automation sequence to operate the rear spoiler without pressing 2nd botton on left.......................................

Old 02-04-2010, 01:49 PM

Computer controlled. DRB III won't even help to override.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davidhamilton
being more specific can you reset the automation sequence to operate the rear spoiler without pressing 2nd botton on left.......................................
Just by-pass the spoiler's motor fuse and install a "manual" switch. At least you can keep the spoiler in its "down" position as long as you want. But it still won't retract untill you get below 35mph.

Remember do so at your own risk, some people fear the car will lift up and want to get tail happy if you drive too fast with the wing down. That's why an audible warning sounds off above 90mph if the wing is not deployed.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Just by-pass the spoiler's motor fuse and install a "manual" switch. At least you can keep the spoiler in its "down" position as long as you want. But it still won't retract untill you get below 35mph.
Well if you could bypass the computer's control, perhaps instead of a "manual" switch you could tie it to your own controller programmed to activate at 40 MPH. (or even connect the 2nd button from the left to your own controller.) You'd need an electronic indication of your speed somehow though. Is our speedometer electronic (probably) or purely mechanical?

Originally Posted by +fireamx
That's why an audible warning sounds off above 90mph if the wing is not deployed.
How does the computer detect if the wing is deployed? Is there an external sensor, or does it just check if the motor relay is activated?

Old 07-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By using what is called micro switches, these switches are activated when the spoiler reaches it full open and closed posistions and if I'm correct there are two one for up and one for down. There is some pictures somewhere here in the forum that show the switches.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by kingkub57
By using what is called micro switches, these switches are activated when the spoiler reaches it full open and closed posistions and if I'm correct there are two one for up and one for down. There is some pictures somewhere here in the forum that show the switches.
Limit switches, but yes, you got the right idea.

When the wing is up, the max limit switch is hit and thus it completes the circuit that lets the car know the wing is up and you are safe.

When you lower the wing, there's another limit switch that alerts the BCM that the wing had fully retracted, stopping the motor.

I removed my wing assembly in favor of the SRT wing. Simply ground out the "max" limit swithc for the "wing up" position and the car will leave you alone, thinking your little flappy wing is always deployed.

Little does it know.... MUAHAHAHAHAHAAH

Old 07-07-2010, 05:50 PM

... and the car will leave you alone, thinking your little flappy wing is always deployed.

Well technically it is though, isn't it? I guess it's your "robust mega", not "little flappy"

Anyway, since it's a closed-loop system (i.e. sensors that detect the wing separate from the operating of the motor) you could theoretically wire your 2nd button from the left to a speed controller that automatically presses it at 40 MPH up and 30 MPH down or something, and the sensors would still work as usual.

Last edited by AeroSigma; 07-07-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-06-2010, 03:29 PM

To JHM2K

I have a different issue that maybe you could provide some info on. I have a SRT6, and had a problem develop with my original BCM. The passenger side window stopped working properly. After reading up on the problem on this forum, I changed out the BCM rather than wasting time wth the window switch, motor etc. I purchased the module online from a parts reseller in Texas – I guess that it had been taken from a wrecked XFire. The replacement BCM did the trick – window now worked perfectly – but a new problem cropped up. At speed of 80 mph and higher, vehicle began to chirp. Replacement BCM likely came from a regular XFire, not a SRT6, and BCM was now looking for the feedback signal from a retractable spoiler indicating that it had raised up as programmed at the correct speed. As the SRT6 has no retractable spoiler, there is no signal getting to the BCM, and so its ding ding ding. Sort of ruins the highway driving experience in California, where people cruise along at 90 mph.

Have any ideas as to how to fix this. My feeling is that its going to involve reprogramming the current BCM with SRT6 codes using a TekII device at my local Chrysler dealer. Could you please respond to my regular email as well.

Limit switches, but yes, you got the right idea.

When the wing is up, the max limit switch is hit and thus it completes the circuit that lets the car know the wing is up and you are safe.

When you lower the wing, there's another limit switch that alerts the BCM that the wing had fully retracted, stopping the motor.

I removed my wing assembly in favor of the SRT wing. Simply ground out the "max" limit swithc for the "wing up" position and the car will leave you alone, thinking your little flappy wing is always deployed.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by jmlasker
Replacement BCM likely came from a regular XFire, not a SRT6...
I'm not so sure you can simply put an N/A BCM in place of an SRT BCM. A PM to Rcompart might answer this one.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pizza, he already did it and it is working... except for the chirping at above 85mph...

jmlasker, it sounds like you can just jumper the pins for the up limit switch so the BCM thinks the wing is deployed when it gets above 85mph like JHM2K did when he swapped out his flapper for a SRT wing......

Old 11-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

I took it that he was THINKING that the BCM was for an SRT! " Replacement BCM likely came from a regular XFire"

Old 11-07-2010, 03:43 AM

MikeR:

Does the SRT6 have an up limit switch in the spoiler area? If not there, where would the switch be so that I could jumper the pins?

Jerry Lasker

Originally Posted by MikeR
Pizza, he already did it and it is working... except for the chirping at above 85mph...

jmlasker, it sounds like you can just jumper the pins for the up limit switch so the BCM thinks the wing is deployed when it gets above 85mph like JHM2K did when he swapped out his flapper for a SRT wing......

Old 11-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

no limit switches that I know of on the SRT since it is a 'fixed' wing..... I was referring to your NA BCM... since it is wired for the limit switches you should be able to just jumper across those pins..... you will have to dig through the schematics to find which ones......

Old 11-07-2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by jmlasker
To JHM2K

I have a different issue that maybe you could provide some info on. I have a SRT6, and had a problem develop with my original BCM. The passenger side window stopped working properly. After reading up on the problem on this forum, I changed out the BCM rather than wasting time wth the window switch, motor etc. I purchased the module online from a parts reseller in Texas – I guess that it had been taken from a wrecked XFire. The replacement BCM did the trick – window now worked perfectly – but a new problem cropped up. At speed of 80 mph and higher, vehicle began to chirp. Replacement BCM likely came from a regular XFire, not a SRT6, and BCM was now looking for the feedback signal from a retractable spoiler indicating that it had raised up as programmed at the correct speed. As the SRT6 has no retractable spoiler, there is no signal getting to the BCM, and so its ding ding ding. Sort of ruins the highway driving experience in California, where people cruise along at 90 mph.

Have any ideas as to how to fix this. My feeling is that its going to involve reprogramming the current BCM with SRT6 codes using a TekII device at my local Chrysler dealer. Could you please respond to my regular email as well.
As others have said, you definitely got a N/A BCM... The only way to silence it is to ground the circuit that calls for the limit-up switch to be closed. Without the actual wiring to do so, you've got me stumped...