Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Turbo Kits... How Much Is To Much?

Old 11-25-2008, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Kits... How Much Is To Much?

OK! So i have a Tuning shop here in Wichita Kansas that can do all the mechanical aspects of the single turbo kit. It will be under the hood, have a front mount intercooler, and the only fuel mods that will be required is bigger injectors. We have found a company that we will fly in and they will flash the computer to run the turbo setup like an oem application.

How much would you guys pay for this turbo setup? I will be getting the upfront custom work price at 6500 for just the mechanical part of it. then how ever much the company charges to tune it.

THe COmpany doing the tuning charges 350 an hour for tuning and they have done a twin turbo SLR McLaren. So i have no doubt that they can do what they say they can.

S0 With this being said. How much is to much?

Old 11-25-2008, 04:04 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Turbo Kits... How Much Is To Much?

3500-4000 for a pre-built ready to install single turbo kit. That includes manifolds,turbo,piping,intercooler,injectors and supporting tune. Anything more and your just being greedy. Having personally built some custom turbo cars on stock internals I am fully aware of production prices. The price above also includes a good quality well matched turbo.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:34 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

How much boost are you thinking of pushing with this kit?

Old 11-25-2008, 06:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, you may want to actualy get one working on the car before you try to price/sell it.

It is easier said than done, 100% of the people that post up these threads all the time never follow through.

What are you going to go with in order to upgrade the clutch and flywheel on the car?

Old 11-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep looking and keep reading the forum, all the answers are here you just aren't looking very hard, also try the MBZ forums, as those guys offer what your looking for.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:55 AM
TVT_DESIGN

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
Lol, you may want to actualy get one working on the car before you try to price/sell it.

It is easier said than done, 100% of the people that post up these threads all the time never follow through.

What are you going to go with in order to upgrade the clutch and flywheel on the car?
What do you mean 100% of the people don't come through? You haven't heard about all the STS kitted Crossfires putting out MAD RWHP? Surely you've seen the pics, vids, talked to an owner, saw one in a magazine, or heard of one refereneced by someone other then an anonymous forum member, no?

Bolting a turbo on these cars is no different then when I hooked up my Civic hatch or my buddy's Mustang. And with the super strong CAST pistons in these things I'm sure they can hold tons of boost with no problems.

Unless you can prove to me that a Turbo Crossfire doesn't exist I'm just going to believe one does! So ha!

Old 11-25-2008, 12:00 PM

If you can pull this off and get a kit that will sell for $4,000 or less i am in!
Please keep us posted on any new progress that you have

Old 11-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your always so negative, alot of people are running turbo crossfires.. this guy seems legit.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:12 PM

No one said that it was easy... I am not doing the Kit. FTW Motorsports here in wichita is and They are 100% sure they can do the mechanical part of it. And a nig name tuner that works on mercedes told us how and where to place the sensors and they said they can take the oem computer flash and tune it to run the turbo like oem. And i am running an automatic. So no need for clutch or flywheel.

Clutchnet can do custom clutches and flywheels for the record.

I am not asking for anyone to buy into anything till it is done. If it turns out to be to expensive for anyone else to do it then i will be more than happy to be the oinly succesful turboed crossfire and then i will try to find someone to allow us to mock up a kit on the slk and c class.

So 3-4grand and people would jump for it?

Old 11-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Forum Regular

That's the least of the worries. Spec sells staged upgrades for MB stuff.

You'll find the biggest difficulty to be fuel and spark support. 7psi or less and you can piggyback with a MAF controller and boost-a-pump to get the extra fuel and spark retard under boost... assuming you don't run into check engine lights along the way.

But even with cheap stuff I priced a handmade remote turbo system around 5 grand. And you only come out with around 300hp... something TVT is working on achieving NA for less $$.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:47 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Who's doing the turbo tuning?

I know of one company that has successfully done this with a MB motor, and I'm pretty sure it is not them.

Is FTW the same FTW that is famous for their Fieros?

I've been offered a full flight, room, and board package to fly out Malaysia just to tune a Turbo MB motor.

Any pics of the TT SLR?

EDIT: Here's a link to a Turbo Powered SLR: http://www.toywonders.com/productcar...3-196p6467.htm

And another: http://smvuy.deviantart.com/art/SLR-...2313?offset=20

Maybe this one: http://www.carvideosonline.com/chevy...win-turbo.html

Last edited by TVT_DESIGN; 11-25-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN

I've been offered a full flight, room, and board package to fly out Malaysia just to tune a Turbo MB motor.
l
Why aren't you in Malaysia, If all your proof is it can be done ?

Old 11-25-2008, 02:59 PM

Yes FTW is the company known for the fiero's. They would be doing the install and Speed Inovation will be doing the tune. Speed Inovation told FTW that we need to move the MAF sensor to the intake side before the turbo and then they can come in and Flash and Tune the OEM Computer to control the turbo like it was oem.

And I really don't know how much boost I will try to run. Probably no more than 8 to start. I want to get it running good and reliably so i can say its been done. then from there i will test the waters to see if i can push 12-14psi. To me its all about saying it can be done.

And Like i said if it is to pricey for you to buy it then all is good. It will just insure that i will be one of the very few that will have a turbo crossfire.

TVT... you of all people should know that this is possible. You know what the oem computer can do. I don't see why you think that it can't be done. This attitude is why i didn't want FTW to call you about it. Your pretty much focused on NA for the Limited's

This project won't get started till after the first of the year but will keep everyone posted once it gets started.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:25 PM

4 k sounds good

Old 11-25-2008, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
...How much is to [sic] much?
Any reasonable and informed answer offered would be entirely contingent upon the results achieved on your test Crossfire.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:33 PM

if someone does attempt this i still think the sts would be the easiest way to go.

regardless, good luck lol.

i give you a month before you mysteriously dissapear from the forum with no working turbo kit.

who knows, maybe you will prove me wrong

Old 11-25-2008, 04:38 PM

if someone does attempt this i still think the sts would be the easiest way to go.

regardless, good luck lol.

i give you a month before you mysteriously dissapear from the forum with no working turbo kit.

who knows, maybe you will prove me wrong
either way at $6500 you might as well get and SRT, or spend 2k more for the renntech or kleemans kit and make some real hp

Old 11-25-2008, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
either way at $6500 you might as well get and SRT, or spend 2k more for the renntech or kleemans kit and make some real hp
srt6's only make pretend hp?

Old 11-25-2008, 04:50 PM

Ok... Like i said it won't start till after the first of the year. I am pushing for an sts type kit to keep cost down but the are insisting on it all being under the hood. One of the biggest problems with doing the sts kit is having the MAF sensor before the turbo. So running the sensor to the back of the car would probaby not work out to well. We will see how things turn out. It may not happen but I want it to happen.

Is RENNTech using a turbo? All the kits i found are superchargers. Ound for pound a turbo will make more power. Lets hope we can do this.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:06 PM

lol how can it be a remote mount turbo kit if it is located under the hood?

Quick Reply: Turbo Kits... How Much Is To Much?