Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

stuck in park???

Old 12-29-2017, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: stuck in park???

Using a Actron cp9180. Shows no codes. Was bought for 04 Rubicon and 77 vette that was converted to TPI.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:37 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Mercs are different (and the Crossie is really a SLK320/R170.

Torque Pro & the Actron cp9180 OBD will show generic OBD-II codes but you need a real Merc scanner or a specialized indy (like an Autel DiagLink or iCarSoft MBII) to read the internal codes since Mercs save everything.

Still, if TCM (tranny module) is not releasing from Park and there is no dash display of gear, sounds like no CAN-bus communications and a code should be being set as soon as it starts. (Never say never).

Spilled some water in mine and until it dried out was acting just like yours.

Last edited by Padgett; 12-29-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:51 AM

Ok, thanks Padgett. It’s gonna be $160 tow change to a dealer that specializes in crossfires and SRT vehicles. A $115 per hour rate after that. Any of the scanners that you mentioned above good to use? Which one should I buy? Thx to all those whom I haven’t said thx.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:40 AM

That's why I have AAA Premier. 250 miles towing and less for a year than the tow you mentioned even with RV also.

Back at scanners for a Crossfire there is no one best scanner, it depends on what year you have and what you need. (and not real clear on what year/model Crossfire you have. That the engine starts and the dash works means the computers are ok. That the block stays in the dash and it won't shift means the shifter module (TCM) is not talking on the Can-Bus. With the engine started and using the rod/pencil. screwdriver method does it go into gear and shift hard ?

That you are not seeing codes bothers me. Even a basic OBD-II scanner should show comm errors given your symptoms.

Bottom line, the car should be drivable but not over about 30-35 mph.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:50 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
Mercs are different (and the Crossie is really a SLK320/R170.

Torque Pro & the Actron cp9180 OBD will show generic OBD-II codes but you need a real Merc scanner or a specialized indy (like an Autel DiagLink or iCarSoft MBII) to read the internal codes since Mercs save everything.

Still, if TCM (tranny module) is not releasing from Park and there is no dash display of gear, sounds like no CAN-bus communications and a code should be being set as soon as it starts. (Never say never).

Spilled some water in mine and until it dried out was acting just like
The TCM is by the amplifier in the passenger foot well. You probably spilt water on the gear shift which is a delicate part with moving contacts.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:44 PM

I use a 1/4 drive extension to release the shifter. It goes right back to lock position after wards. It a 2004 limited model. I also might add that I was cleaning out the cup holder. I don’t think it had ever been cleaned. Sprayed a lot of glass cleaner down inside and sucked the remaining liquid out with shop vac. (Cup holder had broken pins). Drilled into plastic and made pins out of rivets. Any thing beneath cup holder? before finding the trap door for release, Took off plate that contains window switches and pushed in button on upper right side. Now the key won’t come out of ignition. Guess that the ignition lock. Plan on taking whole console out anyway to properly clean. Will replace cup holder.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:22 PM

Ordered a Merc scanner off eBay. Will test and see if gives me a code. Found a closer dealership that will reset tranny computer. (If that’s the problem) tow bill is $75.00. Sitting in garage for a month now.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:30 PM

Which scanner did you order ? I accidently left mine out in a brief rain shower and the trans went away until it dried out. Was giving 6xx and 7xx codes. There is something wrong about a convertible you can't drive if the interior gets wet...

ps shifter must be completely in Park for the key to come out.

Last edited by Padgett; 01-06-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:02 AM

Purchased Merc vc309. Key won’t come out because I pushed the ignition lock. (I guess) upper passenger side. The diagram that I referred to was wrong. There was no need to take anything apart to release the trans. Haven’t taken console apart yet. It’s been negative temps around my area.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:47 PM

Update. Removed the console. It was dry under the cup holder. Only 1 modules I can see. It’s under the mirror switch. No liquids of any kind, a few food particles around the window switches and automatic shifter. Dealer seems to think it needs reset and programmed. I needed to replace the cup holder anyway. $75 tow charge. $99.00 diagnosis. $99.00 to reprogram. I hope that’s all it is. Wish me luck.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:10 PM

Update, local Chrysler dealer could not fix. Their system would not communicate with the vehicle. It was towed to another dealer. $400.00 in tow bills and a non drivable crossfire.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:26 PM

Just a suggestion but AAA Premier Plus RV that I have includes multiple tows, one up to 250 miles. Would be about $130/yr if I did not also have RV coverage.

For a 2004 scanning should not be an issue, suspect anything that can scan a 16 pin Mercedes SLK320 should be able to do an in-depth scan.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey justinX, was this car running before you sent the RCM off; working an shifting gears on highway? Can you start the car? Have you started it ,then pushed the release an tried to put it in neutral ,then into drive?

Old 01-18-2018, 03:19 PM

Yes, car was running and driving normally before the rcm repair. The key was turned on while rcm was out of car. The wing deployed, tow and traction control lights started flashing. The shift indicator is showing a block form instead of the P. Looked at a diagram online, pushed the ignition lock on pass side of shift assembly. Key will not come out. It did before. Thought it was the release. The release is right behind the D through a trap door on top. Two Mercedes dealers say it needs reset and reprogrammed, but they cannot work on it due to the recall that Chrysler did not want to participate. 1st dealer said they did not have right software. My Merc scanner is still in route.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:14 PM

2nd Chrysler dealer could not communicate with vehicle, back to the dealership that specializes in hybrid and srt vehicles just south of Chicago. Another tow bill. If this one can’t fix. Last option will be a Mercedes dealer in Indianapolis that’s 2 hrs away.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:33 PM

"The key was turned on while rcm was out of car. The wing deployed, tow and traction control lights started flashing." Mercs really do not like being on with a low battery. Last one I saw like that had over 30 codes stored that had to be cleared.

"The shift indicator is showing a block form " that usually indicates a lack of can-bus communications with the shifter module. Even Torque Pro should show a P06xx and/or P07xx error. Actual Merc codes will be different.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:51 PM

I think a list of what is happening to this car might be in order. I assume it does not start as I cannot see that mentioned anywhere, does it turn over, does the starter work in other words etc, a button is pushed in but I am not sure what button. The whole incident needs to be written down. As it is the whole thing is confusing.
Let’s get back to basics otherwise we are wasting time.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:50 AM

Correct, the car will not start or turn over because of the block form indicator.
RCM was out.
Key was turned on, thus deploying rear wing and traction control lights.
Installed repaired RCM, did not fix.
Took apart console to find release button for trans.
Wrong button was pushed on upper pass side shift assembly (ignition lock out) now key won’t come out.
Towed to dealer (they said could fix) could not communicate with vehicle. They towed to their flagship dealer. Could not communicate either.
Neither dealership had the integrated software package that is supplied by Mercedes.
Having it towed to a dealership south of Chicago that has this software package. So, by this Monday I’ll have $600.00 in towing bills. Hopefully I’ll be able to drive it home from this dealer. Plus side, car was only $9.00 to add it on to insurance every 6 months.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by JustinX
Correct, the car will not start or turn over because of the block form indicator.
RCM was out.
Key was turned on, thus deploying rear wing and traction control lights.
Installed repaired RCM, did not fix.
Took apart console to find release button for trans.
Wrong button was pushed on upper pass side shift assembly (ignition lock out) now key won’t come out.
Towed to dealer (they said could fix) could not communicate with vehicle. They towed to their flagship dealer. Could not communicate either.
Neither dealership had the integrated software package that is supplied by Mercedes.
Having it towed to a dealership south of Chicago that has this software package. So, by this Monday I’ll have $600.00 in towing bills. Hopefully I’ll be able to drive it home from this dealer. Plus side, car was only $9.00 to add it on to insurance every 6 months.
Reset and reprogramming means they do not know what is going on, and is their excuse to attach a syphon to your wallet.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:08 PM

Update, liquid was found in passenger footwell bay where the module is housed. May have to dry out. It that the cause of all the trouble? Tune in a couple days to find out.

Quick Reply: stuck in park???