Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

stuck in park???

Old 01-26-2018, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: stuck in park???

Update, dried out tcm and bay. Still same problem. They installed a working spare tcm and coded it to my car. Same problem. Tech finally bypassed rcm, car started and was running normally. Apparently the rcm is a very sensitive part of the car (especially the automatics). They rcm was sent out for repair and tested in a manual crossfire. Was supposed to be working. I thought the manual and automatic used the same rcm. I’m not really a new tech vehicle guy. (77 Vette, 85 Ferrari 308, 89 Porsche 944 has less problems combined compared to the crossfire). Tech traced down all wiring involving computer and modules. They always say don’t go cheap when buying electronics. A new rcm through Chrysler is $434. Comes with a 70k warranty. If it goes bad again they will tow and replace free of charge. I will have about $2000.00 in towing and dealer charges all together. So, you automatic guys. I would buy a new rcm to keep on hand to avoid all the trouble and expense.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:56 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinX
Update, dried out tcm and bay. Still same problem. They installed a working spare tcm and coded it to my car. Same problem. Tech finally bypassed rcm, car started and was running normally. Apparently the rcm is a very sensitive part of the car (especially the automatics). They rcm was sent out for repair and tested in a manual crossfire. Was supposed to be working. I thought the manual and automatic used the same rcm. I’m not really a new tech vehicle guy. (77 Vette, 85 Ferrari 308, 89 Porsche 944 has less problems combined compared to the crossfire). Tech traced down all wiring involving computer and modules. They always say don’t go cheap when buying electronics. A new rcm through Chrysler is $434. Comes with a 70k warranty. If it goes bad again they will tow and replace free of charge. I will have about $2000.00 in towing and dealer charges all together. So, you automatic guys. I would buy a new rcm to keep on hand to avoid all the trouble and expense.
Sorry to hear that they sucked you dry, new RCMs can be had for half that, never go to a dealer.
I have a spare RCM and it cost me $45 on eBay. I soldered the usual connections and put it in to try it. It worked so I left it in, the original is in the trunk just in case. The one you purchased came from Mercedes and Chrysler marked it up a lot for their efforts. Who tried to fix your original RCM?

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-26-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You also can have the RCM, refurbished by a forum member, tighed1, for about $30. I think you should look into that. "Search" RCM, you'll see it....

Old 01-26-2018, 09:21 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Near as I can tell the RCM in a Crossfire and a K-40 in a Mercedes are the same thing. Having a credit with Amazon I just ordered a Standard Motor Products RY-1562 Relay. Have been told they come with the Merc part number onnit. We shall see.

BTW, anyone know what the part number is of the individual relays ?

Old 01-26-2018, 10:16 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
Near as I can tell the RCM in a Crossfire and a K-40 in a Mercedes are the same thing. Having a credit with Amazon I just ordered a Standard Motor Products RY-1562 Relay. Have been told they come with the Merc part number onnit. We shall see.

BTW, anyone know what the part number is of the individual relays ?
It is the correct part but it is an after market part, I doubt it will have the Mercedes part on it at that price.
The Mercedes part number is 170 545 03 05.

The individual relays are available and I got mine from the pizzaguy, see the attachment.

Electrical parts and their location in the Crossfire. PDF - CLICK

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Relay-AZ970E-1A-12D.pdf (98.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf
Relay Replacement In RCM.pdf (465.5 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-26-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:09 PM

I had the rcm repaired by one of the forum members. It was tested in a manual crossfire. Mine is auto. The service manager printed out a service bulletin from Chrysler stating that if any modification or attempt to repair rcm may result in a lack of communication. My problem. I will look for a spare rcm on eBay. Just ordered a new cup holder off eBay for $102.00, since the car is fixed. I was debating selling it for parts. Chrysler parts in my area wanted $250.00!

Old 01-26-2018, 11:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Padgett;900693]Near as I can tell the RCM in a Crossfire and a K-40 in a Mercedes are the same thing. Having a credit with Amazon I just ordered a Standard Motor Products RY-1562 Relay. Have been told they come with the Merc part number onnit. We shall see.

This is exactly what I received from Rock Auto.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:37 PM

For those who might care that is the Merc part number for a SLK320 (170 means R170 the SLK line number) & means it is an OEM part. Mine should arrive next week and will see.

May be hard to believe but Merc screws things up also. The M272 engine had a defective balance shaft gear & for some unknown reason they put a bolt under the flywheel. On a 3800 Buick the R&R is trivial, on a Merc you have to pull the engine.

However like GM, Ford o, or Chrysler they have many many suppliers, most being the lowest bidder and monumentally screw some thing up.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=steve1189;900700]

This is exactly what I received from Rock Auto.

Looks like the one I received, couple of years ago. Was a good price, no problems.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:27 PM

I had the rcm repaired by one of the forum members. It was tested in a manual crossfire. Mine is auto. The service manager printed out a service bulletin from Chrysler stating that if any modification or attempt to repair rcm may result in a lack of communication. My problem. I will look for a spare rcm on eBay. Just ordered a new cup holder off eBay for $102.00, since the car is fixed. I was debating selling it for parts. Chrysler parts in my area wanted $250.00!
JustinX - I realize this is an older thread, curious to see if you solved the problem. I have a similar issue, cannot shift out of park without using override. I had RCM repaired, for a no-start issue. It runs great, and after override, it behaves ok, shifts gears and acts normal. The indicator block on dash does not show the black rectangle, it does show the correct gear. I replaced the shifter module last weekend (and before that the brake light switch near the brake pedal with a part purchased from Mercedes dealer).

Did you ever solve your issue?

Old 05-16-2020, 04:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Apparently he states that the RCM fixed his problem...Brake switch and known working RCM did not fix mine...stuk in park!...I'm thinking the conductor plate..

Old 05-16-2020, 05:50 PM

If no code then the car does not think anything is rong. Need something that can interrogate the transmission module directly:

Old 05-16-2020, 08:46 PM

I won't advocate for this fix, but if you remove the lockout mechanism, you can shift out of Park whenever and wherever. No key needed, it's like a throwback to the 80's. If you choose to go that route, keep kids away from your car! It's bypassing a safety mechanism.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:23 PM
Forum Regular

~ Wrong again ..on the connector(s) clipped to the bottom of the tranny pan....those are for the O2 sensors...I learned. I see the plate that covers the connector however. It's jammed almost right against the front cats. It's going to be challenging removing that plate to get to the connector.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:34 PM
Forum Regular

~ Replaced Alternator...
~ 2 failed start attempts (nothing on full turn of key) in Park...3rd time she started...radio came on.
~ Battery light is now OUT..No check engine light...No Bas/Esp light...all good...then a bulb indicator OUT light comes on...I checked all bulbs are lit...strange.
~ Extracted 2 more litres of tranny fluid and replaced 5L , checked the stick..cold..running ...level looked good.
~ Square block displayed in place of P,R,N,D...
~ Drove it down the street...second gear..no shift....Probably the shifter module...plug and play so they say. I'll have to hunt for one.
~ Tranny harness connector didnt cure it...still might be the conductor plate.
~ Stored code..600...serial communications error.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:36 AM
Forum Regular

If no code then the car does not think anything is rong. Need something that can interrogate the transmission module directly:
~ Thanks Padgett & DadsXf for the replies. I am using an Autel brand code scanner I ordered and with the Benz software D/L I am able to access the transmission module and much more than previously with an older model scanner.
~ I am reviewing the cup holder replacement video to refresh on the dissasembly of the center console. I was able to obtain a replacement shift selector module(used). I feel like since there are signs of a coffee spill to the shift selector, it wouldn't hurt to throw that part at it without electronic confirmation of a failure.
~ Mirror switch is broken, on order, in transit so, I will not be re-assembling the console until that part comes in. Meanwhile, since it is a convertible, it is much easier to work on it with the top down. Dodging Central Florida rainstorms is now an issue as well.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:39 PM
Forum Regular

~FIXED~ - After replacing the shift selector module and re-connecting the cable that goes to the ignition from that module, reconnected the battery and turned on the ignition...the dash display immediatly showed "P" which was a good sign. Cranked first attempt. Shifted to Reverse and noticed much less "bang" into gear...same for "D" and some vibration...(tranny fluid reading a little overfull may be it.) Drove it down the street and back, she shifted properly. Re-installed the center console...waiting on side mirror switch so I can remove it once again....Nuther Crossie on the road...grin factor sure to resume. The ash tray assembly is a BIT#$ to remove. Tiny drill holes with bailun wire will repair broken plastic tabs...trim covers them well....My Mercedes buddy that helped me switch out superchargers on the SRT helped me BIG TIME on this project.