Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

First problem with tires.

Old 07-29-2003, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First problem with tires.

My luck, today I noticed that I had picked up a nail in my rear driver side tire. Drove all over town, everyone could not change a 19" tire, either that or they were afraid to. I ended up at Chrysler Dealer for service. I was their first one in for service. They couldn't patch the tire, so they called Michelon. A service rep took my information and directed me to a Michelon Dealer. Once I got there the dealer was reluctant to do the repair. The Crossfire wasn't even in his computer yet.
I told him to call Michelon. After talking to someone there, he told me that if the tire couldn't be repaired, Michelon wanted him to call back. I only have 400 miles on the tire, maybe they were going to help me out. I askeed the tire dealer how much it would be to replace the rear tires, ready, $450.00 each. Ouch!

Old 07-29-2003, 06:18 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Wow, bad luck. It's kind of ridiculous that no one can fix that tire... a nail hole shouldn't be that hard to fix. Hopefully they help you out, because to pay $450 after only 400 miles is definitely not going to be fun.

Old 07-29-2003, 06:41 PM
Forum Regular

So what happened??Did they repair it, replace it?

BTW - You'll want to start saving your pennies, because those tires only last about 10-12K miles before needing replacing :shock:

Old 07-29-2003, 06:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was reading on the michelin site that there Pilot zero pressure tire is warrantied for 2 years or half tread life.

Old 07-29-2003, 09:18 PM

Damn, I know alot of places are afraid to put stretched tires on wheels, but those tires aren't stretched on the 19s.. looks like you gotta look for a place that sells aftermarket wheels, to do it for you.. personally i wouldnt take it anywhere else then a place that sells wheels of that size, and has experience, im sure those rims aren't cheap to have repaired or replaced if the tire monkeys screw em up..

Old 07-29-2003, 10:09 PM
Forum Regular

Umm, I think Michelin is qualified to replace the wheels--considering they manufacture them. A Chrysler dealer will have to replace them if they need to be replaced (per the tire maker).

Not sure why you always feel the need to egg on people on the forum krooner, I know you are buds with the moderator, but it gets old. Chrysler will handle this...You just seem to look for a reason to pick on the Crossfire (tires, HP, quality, etc...). Considering how much a lot of us contribute to this forum, you need to start respecting the purpose of this forum--FOR CROSSFIRE OWNERS and those who want to own. We all love our Crossfires and want to discuss the pro/cons of it, but not solely be negative. :evil: :evil:

Old 07-29-2003, 10:23 PM
Forum Regular

I just read a article on a repair of a corvette goodyear runflat tire.The tire can be repaired only once to keep its speed rating.They took the tire off the rim and put a patch on the inside.Most up to date chrysler dealers should have a quality tire machine that can handle up to 20 in. wheels.If you complain to the dealer or chrysler they should warranty the tire.Krooner when you know something about cars or chrysler chime in,but till then who needs your advise. :evil:

Old 07-30-2003, 12:42 AM
Forum Regular

All tire manufacturers indicate that they won't stand by their speed ratings once a tire has been repaired, so if you're looking at doing Z-rated speeds, get a new tire if you want to be sure you don't become wall decoration on a track somewhere or want to sue when it happens and you survive.

If you are replacing tires, don't forget to remove the valve-stem pressure sensor and put it on the new tire.

Old 07-30-2003, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by krooner
Damn, I know alot of places are afraid to put stretched tires on wheels, but those tires aren't stretched on the 19s.. looks like you gotta look for a place that sells aftermarket wheels, to do it for you.. personally i wouldnt take it anywhere else then a place that sells wheels of that size, and has experience, im sure those rims aren't cheap to have repaired or replaced if the tire monkeys screw em up..
I'm sorry guys but nowhere in this post do i bash chrysler or the crossfire.. I'm only replying to the original post, i wouldn't trust just anyone with the 19" wheels on my brand new 35k car.. i never said the dealer, was not a good place to start.. All I'm saying is i wouldn't take it to pep boys, unless i personally knew someone there that will take care of my car as good as me.. you guys need to relax alittle bit here, no reason for the hostility.. 8)

later..

Old 07-30-2003, 06:07 AM

The tire was repaired and now the Michelon dealer is comfortable with changing them. He did warn me that I'd be in for rear tires in 9-10,000 miles.

Old 07-30-2003, 06:07 AM
Forum Regular

Just a note the tire pressure sensor on chryslers is mounted on the rim.The sensor is actually part of the valve stem.See what michelin says about repairing or replacing the tire they should be the experts.

Old 07-30-2003, 07:56 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sambo13
He did warn me that I'd be in for rear tires in 9-10,000 miles.
:cry: Yep, that is the downside to big tires like that--will have to spend probably about $1500-$1800 per year replacing all 4 of them (if you do 10-12K miles per year). I had the same on my old car with Z rated tires (however, not as expensive as 19") I'm saving my $$ now :lol:

HECK NO don't even pull into a Pep Boys parking lot for maint on the Xfire--I agree with you on that!

Old 07-30-2003, 09:36 AM
Forum Regular

There's an ad in car and driver mag for tirerack.com,they have michelin pilot sports at $367 rears and $199 fronts.Thats sounds alot better than the $450 that was quoted from the michelin dealer!

Old 07-30-2003, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by crossfiretech
There's an ad in car and driver mag for tirerack.com,they have michelin pilot sports at $367 rears and $199 fronts.Thats sounds alot better than the $450 that was quoted from the michelin dealer!
as a sidenote the micehlin pilot a/s can be had for $337 shipped for the rears and 247 shipped for the fronts.. a/s might be a better deal when it's time for new tires, or if you need to get around in the winter.. and they have a way better treadlife rating(400AA)

later..

Old 07-30-2003, 12:19 PM
Forum Regular

Wow, that's a good deal on the tires--can get for $1K all four. The only thing is some places will not put them on unless you buy them from their place (at least someone who knows what the hecl they are doing.) I'd be curious if a Chrysler dealer would put them on if bought elsewhere--crossfiretech???

Old 07-30-2003, 12:44 PM
Forum Regular

Texex We don't like to put on tires bought elswhere but we do it.I would recommend spending money on a 15,000 mile service and asking them if they would also install your tires!That way everybody is happy

Old 07-30-2003, 04:23 PM

That's the problem, no one will put them on. Also don't have to worry about Winter, I'm in Florida!

Old 07-30-2003, 04:46 PM
Forum Regular

I went and looked at the tiretrack.com site and they have a button for installation that you click and punch in your zip code, and they list all the places that will install. I tried it and several Goodyear places popped up. Definately would have it done at the dealer--crossfiretech is right, build a relationship with the service mgr and take it in for a 10K service and they should do it (for a small fee).

Old 08-04-2003, 01:04 PM

Yeah-- I looked at the Tire Rack site a few weeks ago trying to figure out what it cost to re-shoe that puppy. The $337 and $247 prices ring a bell for what I found. I was thinking of all the guys in snow country who might want to switch over to something else when the snow flies. The prices are comparable to new shoes for a Vette. I think there is an option for a Continental tire that is A/S isn't there? or am I confusing it with a Vette.

I would think any Chevy dealer that sells Vettes would be able to handle any tire problems [the Vettes take 17 & 18 inchers] if the DC dealer isn't equipped to do so yet.

I am surprised at the 10K wear out though. A 400 rating on a tire is not bad, so wearing out that quick is a surprise prediction.

By the way, as an aside, I have several friends that have had a mishap or road hazard problem with Michelins and they found it was like pulling teeth to get them to honor the warranty, even with very low mileage on the vehicle.

Old 08-17-2003, 01:28 AM
Forum Regular

I've had pretty good luck with getting my local Michelin dealer to honor my road hazard coverage, at least on my 300M tires and my previous Eagle Vision TSi, both of which suffered NYC hazards.