Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Door Panel Removal

Old 08-28-2003, 11:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Door Panel Removal

I pulled the door panels to replace the speakers and add sound damping material. The shop manual does not accurately show how to remove the panel. Here are some tips. You'll need a couple of different sizes of Torx screw drivers. Get a set you can use with a socket wrench.

Warning: The shop manual recommends removing the battery negative lead when working on the door to disable the side airbag. Also, perform these steps at your own risk, blah, blah....

1. You'll need some plastic wedges to pry some of the plastic bits off. Don't use a screwdriver. I cut some 1/2" thick plastic sheets into wedges about 5 inches long. I also bought some cheap measuring spoons (for cooking) at Wal*Mart and sanded the ends down to make them wedgy.

2. Remove the obvious hardware around the door latch area: a plate on the end at the top and a metal frame around the latch area.

3. Pop out the plastic triangular piece near the side mirror.

4. There are four main screws holding the panel in place: 2 inside the door pull (long, chrome bar); 1 under the SRS badge; and one behind the panel between the door-open handle and the tweeter.

5. The cover of the door pull pops out. It's tough but work the wedges under the bottom edge and keep working them. Again - no screwdrivers.

6. The SRS badge pops out easily.

7. The panel around the door-open handle and tweeter is very difficult. I was only able to pop the panel off around the tweeter - the end at the door-open handle wouldn't release. Again, use a couple of wedges to work each one in a little at a time. The screw is in the center.

8. Once all screws are removed, pop the bottom edge of the door panel out using the wedges. There are about 8 plastic snaps along the bottom edge and the bottom half of the front and back edges of the panel.

9. Now pull up firmly on the door panel from the bottom and sides. There is a long strip on the panel that compresses into a groove on the door. It's pretty tight. Once you get one end to release, it will come out easily.

10. Unsnap the door latch cable, pull the cable out from the casing some so that you can slide it out of the groove on top of the mouning block. Unplug tweeter. The panel should now be free.

A lot of this panel pulling requires a lot of force. I was afraid I might snap something but luckily didn't.

This is from memory so there may be a couple of small things I missed. I'll try to post pix to my gallery soon.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Kraig (01-09-2021)