Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

shifter knob removal

Old 09-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter **** removal

I found a company that makes aluminum and titaninum shift ***** for various cars. The name is Team Voodoo. Does anybody know how the shifter **** comes off? Is it a screw-on **** or is it like the PT and press on? I would really like to replace the plastic one with this Round Aluminum shifter **** but I do not know if what they sell will work until I can get this one off.

Brian

Old 09-24-2003, 06:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The **** should screw off!

Old 09-25-2003, 10:47 PM

Please let the rest of us know how you end up getting your **** off. No pun intended.

Old 10-04-2003, 09:52 PM

Has anyone actually replaced the "slick" & cheap looking shifter ***** on either the 6 speed or the AutoStick? If so, how difficult & how successful was the switch. I'd like a leather style for a better grip.

Thanks,

Old 10-04-2003, 10:50 PM

It appears as the shift **** just pulls off, mine did, try it, the boot comes off with it!!

Old 10-04-2003, 11:13 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Originally Posted by prowler39
It appears as the shift **** just pulls off, mine did, try it, the boot comes off with it!!
It shouldn't just pull off, you should have the dealer tighten it for you.

Old 10-05-2003, 07:17 AM

Thanks, I will when I take it in for the first oil change. :lol:

Old 11-25-2003, 04:29 PM

It is definitely not a press-on ****. You should not pull off this **** unless you want to destroy the security system or exchange the ****. This is how you should remove the ****:
First you pull off the boot frame with its two clip features at each side from the console. Then you will find a plastic sleeve underneath of the boot just at the top. This plastic sleeve is a second assurance device for the ****. You have to unscrew this plastic sleeve with a few rotations until you pull this part down. Now you can pull off the **** and it comes off together with the boot.
This plastic sleeve holds 4 clip features from the **** together that are placed in a groove of the shift lever. That's why you should unsrew the plastic sleeve first, so that you can reinstall the **** with this security system. If you want to use a new ****, it might be easier to use a press-fit to hold the **** in place. But you need a special hole in the ****, because the shift lever has a flat surface to prevent the rotation of the ****.

Old 11-25-2003, 09:14 PM

Anyone know how to remove the auto 5 spd ****?

Thanks

Old 03-23-2004, 11:59 PM

If anyone finds replacement shift ***** for the Crossfire 6 Speed please post it. Thanks, Kenny

Old 03-24-2004, 09:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krwkenny
If anyone finds replacement shift ***** for the Crossfire 6 Speed please post it. Thanks, Kenny
Somebody had some pic's in their album of a Crossfire with an 03 SLK leather shift **** installed. Can't remember now if it was the auto or the manual, or whose album it was in!

Old 03-25-2004, 09:22 AM

Auto Shift **** Removal:
The top ball of the shifter has a collar at the bottom. That collar unscrews clockwise lookingdown). Once unscrewed, it slides down the shaft, and the ball pulls upward and off. Very gently.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:33 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default shift ****...

Originally Posted by Judy
Has anyone actually replaced the "slick" & cheap looking shifter ***** on either the 6 speed or the AutoStick? If so, how difficult & how successful was the switch. I'd like a leather style for a better grip.

Thanks,
yes...i changed mine to an 04' slk m/b black leather ****. see photo album

Old 03-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Forum Regular

Found some great aftermarket shift ***** for the SLK series. Manual and auto options available.

http://www.formymercedes.com/mb_resu...ry=Shift+*****

Old 01-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Default Re: shifter **** removal

As much as i hate to resurrect an EXTREMELY old thread....i have a problem and wanted to avoid making a new thread.

I went to back out of a parking spot yesterday and pulled up on my shift **** to shift over to reverse. when i did so, i pulled the ****, along with the leather boot and trim right off the car. after almost peeing my pants from the scare and almost hitting myself in the face, i was left staring at the transmission lever, and wondering what to do. for the time being, i put the **** back on and snapped the trim back in, and have been VERY careful and gentle when pulling up on it. However, it's come off once more since then, even when i'm careful and pull up only as much as i have to to get into reverse. I don't see any screws or ANYTHING holding it on there, so i'm wondering what held it on before? glue? am i missing something?

My initial thought is just glue it and be done with it. But i wanted to ask the experts first before doing something the wrong way. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a locking collar nut on the underside of where the **** and boot meet. If it is missing, that may be your problem. If you pull the boot over the **** you should be able to see the threads for this nut (the boot unattaches from the console piece by simply pulling gently) there are 4 tabs around the base of it. Hope this helps, I would NOT recommend glue because if you have issues down the road, you may not be able to properly service the car...

Old 01-17-2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
There is a locking collar nut on the underside of where the **** and boot meet. If it is missing, that may be your problem. If you pull the boot over the **** you should be able to see the threads for this nut (the boot unattaches from the console piece by simply pulling gently) there are 4 tabs around the base of it. Hope this helps, I would NOT recommend glue because if you have issues down the road, you may not be able to properly service the car...
That actually did help alot. Turns out the collar nut actually was on the ****, but was somehow loose enough to allow the **** to slide off the lever, so i took it off, slid it back on the shifter, slid the **** back on, tightened it, and put the boot back on and it SEEMS to be good now. So i guess it just got loose. who knows. Thanks for your help!

Old 08-03-2017, 02:04 AM

So I'm trying to take my shift **** off to replace it, and I can't get it off.. lol I have the plastic piece at the base un tightened and was pressing down on it, but it won't come up! Anything I'm missing?? Here's a pic I have that plastic piece in tightened what am I missing? Why won't it come off? Lol

Last edited by Linc21; 08-03-2017 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Mispelled
Old 08-03-2017, 05:45 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Linc21
So I'm trying to take my shift **** off to replace it, and I can't get it off.. lol I have the plastic piece at the base un tightened and was pressing down on it, but it won't come up! Anything I'm missing?? Here's a picI have that plastic piece in tightened what am I missing? Why won't it come off? Lol
Try this.
CLICK

Old 08-03-2017, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Try this.
CLICK
I've tried.. I have the plastic piece all the way un tightened. How firmly do I have to pull up? Lol it doesn't want to come off haha I've pulled pretty hard I thought for it. It pulls up like if you were pulling up to go into reverse, but the **** won't come off lol

Quick Reply: shifter knob removal