CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/)
-   -   Automatic transmission fluid check tool length? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/36259-automatic-transmission-fluid-check-tool-length.html)

LugNut 07-26-2009 07:31 AM

Automatic transmission fluid check tool length?

Anyone already have one of the Miller Specialty Tools #8863A or B, or MB $140 15 21 AT fluid check tools?

If so, could you please measure the length for me? Thanks.

{Our ATs are MB's 722.6 's?}

P.S. I see a rebuilt AT on eBay for $100! Can't vouch for the seller in KY, but seems like a great deal if the correct trans. The auction number is 170361752551.

MikeR 07-26-2009 10:04 AM

Re: Automatic transmission fluid check tool length?

The Miller tool is 52" long, from the end of the handle to the tip of the dipstick. The black graduated measure portion is 3 1/4" long. The graduations are every 10mm from the TIP.

LugNut 07-26-2009 01:12 PM

Great, thanks! Hopefully I can find the correct one (I see others). I see that we are supposed to have the stick just-hit the bottom of the pan, then read up from there. Unlike "normal" cars that have fixed-length, factory-supplied dipsticks.

32krazy! 07-26-2009 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by LugNut
Great, thanks! Hopefully I can find the correct one (I see others). I see that we are supposed to have the stick just-hit the bottom of the pan, then read up from there. Unlike "normal" cars that have fixed-length, factory-supplied dipsticks.

when you insert the tool approx 8" will stick out of the tube. this is a multi tool fits many cars. thats why you insert it until you feel it just touch the pan and take the readings from the bottom

billangiep 07-26-2009 02:53 PM

There's an older thread where someone modified a zip tie..42 inches comes to mind from the top of the dip stick tube to ....?

waldig 07-28-2009 08:42 AM

THat was me, I used a big zip tie, white that was trimmed to fit in the pipe, measure up from the bottom and your done. No real money and easy to use.

BTW if you over fill the tranny it will pump out the excess anyway. Neat ??

Woody:rolleyes:

ChuckNorris 07-31-2009 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got this off Benz forum, other very helpful information about our trannies there.

Crossfire451 09-10-2009 01:04 PM

Is the full line at 5.5mm (in the picture) ? And, does this dip stick touch the bottom of the pan?

ChuckNorris 09-10-2009 04:02 PM

The hot 80c full mark is between 5.5 and about 6.5 and dipstick should be inserted till it hits bottom of pan while in park with engine running.

Originally Posted by Crossfire451
Is the full line at 5.5mm (in the picture) ? And, does this dip stick touch the bottom of the pan?

MikeR 09-10-2009 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by ChuckNorris
Got this off Benz forum, other very helpful information about our trannies there.

That pic is interesting. Mine has graduations every 10mm and no indicators for min/max.:mad:

LugNut 09-15-2009 07:09 PM

One of the tools on the way, off eBay for cheap. Love that eBay, most of the time.

crossfire08 09-15-2009 09:24 PM

where do you check it at?
thanks

LugNut 09-15-2009 10:25 PM

Right, rear of the engine -- filler tube with a locked cap. Need a replacement clip each time it is opened. Haven't done mine yet, but hopefully soon. BTW -- requires a special fluid, apparently. $$, no doubt.

Sandgrounder 09-15-2009 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by LugNut
Right, rear of the engine -- filler tube with a locked cap. Need a replacement clip each time it is opened. Haven't done mine yet, but hopefully soon. BTW -- requires a special fluid, apparently. $$, no doubt.

Photo of the location would be realy nice.
Manual transmission fluid is ATF+4
Automatic transmission fluid is Shell 3403 ATF
Page 222 Owners Manual

LugNut 09-16-2009 07:02 AM

"Photo of the location would be realy nice."

If I remember to, I'll take and post some. Will be a while until, however.

"Automatic transmission fluid is Shell 3403 ATF"

I haven't really gone hunting for it yet. Found it? If so, where? WM having that particular fluid would be nice ... ;)

Crossfire451 09-16-2009 01:45 PM

in the older days when dextron and type F (ford) fluids were kings, you could pick up a cheap shift kit and switch from dextron to type f and see a real differencein shift quality. just changing the fluid type made huge differences. this was attributed to the friction coefficient of the of the type f because of this history it makes me wonder about the differences in the shell TF and Mopar atf+4. has anybodyexperienced a difference after changing their fluid?

tighed1 09-16-2009 02:03 PM

More info and pictures here...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...stick-cap.html

LugNut 09-16-2009 02:38 PM

That thread says the Chrysler part number for the fluid is 5127382AA. OE Discount Parts shows it as $11.58 -- I'd guess that's per quart (!), but anyone know differently, e.g., gallon or liter?

Sandgrounder 09-16-2009 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1

Thanks ,I will go digging this weekend to find the little bleader,sorry is it also the filler? ;)

ZERACER 09-17-2009 02:39 PM

Now there's a practical item for someone to manufacturer and sell (dipstick):cool: .