Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Premature wearing of the leather side bolsters

Old 11-15-2003, 06:36 PM
BKH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premature wearing of the leather side bolsters

This past week I noticed that the one of the seat bolsters (side bolster, seat back) was REALLY wearing out. It already had cracks and a couple of chips in the leather coloring. I only have 1,600 miles on the car, and I'm a 160 pound guy. I certainly don't wear any clothing that would have caused such damage. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, have the dealers been responsive? I had a similar problem (in a different area) on our Mini Cooper S, and the seat was replaced without question. I hope I have the same luck with Chrysler.

Old 11-15-2003, 08:28 PM
kusheen
Default bolster wear

BKH,

In the first few weeks I noticed that one spot on my bolster wasnt' exactly wearing, but it had a sort of a wrinkle to it. It's basically where my right butt hit's the bolster when I slide in.

I'm about the same weight as you, 5'8". For that reason, I have to keep the seat far enough forward to comfortably drive that it's next to impossible to slip in without seriously rubbing the bolster.

I began the practice of turning backing in a bit with my left hand behind me on that spot on the bolster, then twisting and sitting in.

THEN I just realized this weekend something you all probably already know, but I haven't read the manual end to end.

With the door open, the electric seat adjusters work whether the car is running or not..even if the key is not in the ignition. They do NOT work if the car is off and the door is closed.

When I stop the car now, I adjust the seat back far enough that I don't have to put too much or any pressure on the bolster for ingress/egress.

If I forget, when I open the door I can take a few seconds and set the seat back before getting in. Once in, I can leave the door open and move the seat back into driving position, close enough to depress the clutch to start.

You could also fiddle with your driving positon ala the seats and the telescoping steering wheel.

OR you can get some sheepskins.

Good luck.