Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Lights stay on

Old 03-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights stay on

When I got home last night and parked the car I just locked it up as usual and left. About 20 minutes later a neighbor came to inform me that some of my car lights were still on. On inspection I found that the front and rear parking lights on just the passenger side were still on. Turning the light switch from on to off extinguished them. Struck me as real odd. Is just the passenger side posessed? It has never happened before and I will keep on watching it to see if it ever happens again. The thing that surprised me was that it only occurred on one side. I would have guessed all or nothing.

I have yet to see another XF on the road. It is going on 3 months now. I wonder what the record for not seeing another one is? Maybe with milder weather heading our way the nice cars will start leaving the garages again.

Black/auto/gray-2565

Old 03-03-2004, 09:13 AM
Forum Regular

Are you sure you didn't have it turned too far to the left?

If you go 1 or 2 clicks past the off position on the left, it will leave a parking indicator light on the left or right side of the vehicle. Minus the headlamps.

Check it out. I bet thats what it is.

Old 03-03-2004, 09:14 AM
imported_mightyjlr

To turn the lights off you have to put the switch to the center up position. Turning too far counter clockwise will turn on either the passenger side lights or the driver side lights. You must have turned it to far by accident.

Old 03-03-2004, 09:31 AM

The simplest answer is usually the best. I hate to admit it but I didn't even know what those other 2 positions were and hadn't really even noticed them. I'll still keep watching it for awhile but that was probably it. What a relief, you know what a pain electrical problems can be.

Love the car.

black/auto/gray-2565

Old 03-03-2004, 10:42 AM

My wife does that every time she drives the car at night. For some reason she can't grasp the idea that the switch should be in the vertical position, pointing north, straight up I've tried every possible description. She claims her blond hair has something to do with it.:lol:

She is actually a very bright and intelligent woman (not to mention that she's very easy on the eyes )... But for some reason she wants to turn the switch all the way to the left to turn off the lights. :roll:

Good thing she's a keeper :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old 03-03-2004, 04:59 PM

IT (the light switch function) is in the owners manual...You know, the good book that no one reads...

Old 03-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WMichaels
My wife does that every time she drives the car at night. For some reason she can't grasp the idea that the switch should be in the vertical position, pointing north, straight up I've tried every possible description. She claims her blond hair has something to do with it.:lol:

She is actually a very bright and intelligent woman (not to mention that she's very easy on the eyes )... But for some reason she wants to turn the switch all the way to the left to turn off the lights. :roll:

Good thing she's a keeper :lol: :lol: :lol:
Poor man!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: My beautiful blonde bride of 8 years says she's happy just to ride... I don't have to share!!!!

Old 03-03-2004, 06:35 PM

Count your blessings, AZ.... You are a lucky man.

Old 03-03-2004, 11:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe part of the reason you haven't seen another Crossfire in your area is that owners like us want to keep it in the garage on weekdays, keep it in deep shine and run it like you stole it on weekends. i just love this car!

Old 03-04-2004, 04:31 AM

I surprised a car of this caliber doesn't have auto-off lights. I loved being able to leave my C70 and Pilot at night and have the lights stay on for a few seconds....then as I return the keyless unlock lights them back up. It's an extra bit of safety and convience to have them as a nightlight.

Dallas

Old 03-04-2004, 05:58 AM

I'm glad that the Crossfire doesn't turn the lights on and off for me. I still have all (well, most ) of my faculties and I know when I need my lights and they're really easy to turn on. That's my biggest gripe with GM. They think that we're too dumb to turn our lights on and off by our selves.

Thank you, DC, for giving us credit for being able to perform simple manual tasks. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old 03-04-2004, 08:18 AM

Wonderdallas
When I park in the garage at night, turn off the engine, turn off the head lights, open the door, shut the door and voila the lights come on for about one minute. This give me time to get to the entry door of the house. Am I just lucky or spirtuialy assisted?

Old 03-04-2004, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by WMichaels
I'm glad that the Crossfire doesn't turn the lights on and off for me. I still have all (well, most ) of my faculties and I know when I need my lights and they're really easy to turn on. That's my biggest gripe with GM. They think that we're too dumb to turn our lights on and off by our selves.

Thank you, DC, for giving us credit for being able to perform simple manual tasks. :lol: :lol: :lol:
My 300m gives me the option. I have grown accustomed to the auto turn on feature and actually like it. But doing it myself on the Crossfire is no problem.

Old 03-04-2004, 10:34 AM

LMF101,

Mine does the same thing. I have even noticed different lights coming on at different times, depending on how dark it is (when the car is off). Seems the parking lights will come one for a minute or so when it isn't completely dark (winter mornings) and the full headlights will stay on if its really dark. And, of course, no lights at all on normal lighting conditions.

Old 03-04-2004, 10:52 AM

I haven't driven a GM car in quite some time so I don't know if they've changed, But, a couple of years ago I was traveling to several Army bases and every Hertz rental car I got was a GM. When I came up to the Gates at night I couldn't even dim the lights. My first thought was "Why in the Hell did they bother to install a switch?" It didn't do a thing after dark. Since that trip I don't let the renal car places give me anything GM.

Old 03-04-2004, 12:06 PM

Galen Dracos,

I noticed the same thing but was afraid to say it, as I am out of the country and could not verify what I remembered.
Two more weeks and Ifll be home!! Sould be fun going over my mental notes on all I have learned on this site.

I ordered some Zaino and really interested in giving that a test.

Old 03-04-2004, 09:40 PM

I like that I have to turn on and off the lights manually. Also that the alarm doesn't make a beeping noise when armed or disarmed. This is a feature I disabled in my old car.

It makes me nervous when everyone in the parking lot - criminal or otherwise - knows which car is mine, and that it's unlocked. I'd rather fumble around in the dark to open the garage door than make myself a target.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:36 PM
Smile Re: Lights stay on

I know its an older post, but same here! My battery actually went flat twic after not realising what was going on. Thank you so much for posting.

Originally Posted by Uncle_Al
The simplest answer is usually the best. I hate to admit it but I didn't even know what those other 2 positions were and hadn't really even noticed them. I'll still keep watching it for awhile but that was probably it. What a relief, you know what a pain electrical problems can be.

Love the car.

black/auto/gray-2565

Old 09-17-2019, 08:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Lights stay on

Originally Posted by Uncle_Al

Love the car.

black/auto/gray-2565
That be it for sure. Happened to me when I first got my 2004 Coupe.
Bill T.