Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

newbie with crossfire problem

Old 07-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie with crossfire problem

HI ,EVERYONE! I have owned a crossfire coupe 2005 now for about two weeks.After reading the forums here ,I decided to replace the tires and steering damper on the car .I finally got a chance to take it up the freeway today and was quite pleased with the car until reaching 75 mph, At this point a whine from the rear of the car started making it self known.There was no vibration of any kind just the whine.I went back to the forums and discovered this is caused possibly by a bad differential.Like many here I am recently retired and ,im not a wealthy guy!The car is emmaculate otherwise and friends have asked if it is a 2011 new model of some kind.My question is this, should i sell it? drive it as is or is there a fix for this problem that wont cost a arm and a leg?The car has 32000 miles on it and every thing otherwise operates perfectly on the car Respect to all, Drue in Tucson

Old 07-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: newbie with crossfire problem

Are you sure it's not just tire noise.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Red face Re: newbie with crossfire problem

Originally Posted by robby363
Are you sure it's not just tire noise.
It could be ,Ijust replaced the originals with conti dws a couple of days ago A few more runs in the morning on I10 should tell me something. After hearing this sound I went directly to the forum and the rearend thing popped up. Could be premature panic on my part. Like I had said there was no vibration or metallic sound other than a whine at those specific speeds.
Thanks for the response Drue

Old 07-15-2011, 05:31 PM

Check your tire pressures and make sure it has the pressure stated on the door. Have the rear end checked to see if it has gear oil in it. Check for leaks on the rims, around the axles. Don't drive it any further than you absolutely have to. It could be road noice for the type of pavement finish/tires, etc. It would be very odd for the car to shed the rear end for no reason. Some 2005s still have power train warranty left depending on when they were purchased,etc. Check that too.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Red face Re: newbie with crossfire problem

Originally Posted by dtinker
Check your tire pressures and make sure it has the pressure stated on the door. Have the rear end checked to see if it has gear oil in it. Check for leaks on the rims, around the axles. Don't drive it any further than you absolutely have to. It could be road noice for the type of pavement finish/tires, etc. It would be very odd for the car to shed the rear end for no reason. Some 2005s still have power train warranty left depending on when they were purchased,etc. Check that too.
thank you Dave, luckily a neighbor runs a small shop up the street and agreed to put it up on his lift tomorrow.I will check the rear end and take a look around . much appreciated,Drue

Old 07-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by drue r
Drue in Tucson
Hey neighbor! (almost)

Old 07-16-2011, 06:31 PM

[quote=tighed1]Hey neighbor! (almost)[/quote I guess! I used to live in Bisbee ,back in the seventys.... thats a story. Sierra Vista is a nice town. That would be a nice shake down drive after I get this rear end checked out .I like the car alot but lots of paranoia after reading about problems on some of the crossfires.If your ever up this way Iwould sure like to see how your crossfire is set up.Looks like alot of time and effort on your part! Respectfully Drue p.s. today, in Tucson, is a great day to check out the cooling system

Old 07-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts

A bad rear end at 32,000 miles? I kinda doubt that, these cars are KNOWN for a variety of electrical problems, but not serious mechanical issues.

Too bad you replaced the tires so quickly, I bet it didn't whine with the old tires. Odd things happen at speed, there is one road, Georgia 85 about 20 miles from me, that "talks" to me between 50 and 65 mph. If I have the top down, I hear odd rumbles and other noises. It did it with my old tires and with my new ones, but it does NOT do it in my van.

If I have the top down, it's REALLY noticeable, but even with the top up, I hear it. They ust repaved that stretch of road last year. You cant see anything in the pavement and you don't feel anything in the steering or handling... but the first time I had someone with me, they actually thought they heard my stomach growling!!!