Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Convertible top removal

Old 11-07-2017, 05:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Convertible top removal

Bill. I found the same problem width the 'B' rubber window molding. I found that after bending the metal clips inbedded in the rubber in then out the mounding still didn't stay in the groove. When I alternated the in/out bending, the molding fit tighter into the slot. This solved the problem.
I bought my replacement top from BAS International. Very happy working with them. The top was easy to install and the fit and finish was perfect. The only thing I had to salvage from the old top was the little U clips on the rear edge. Three weeks to receive it from England.
Martin

The following users liked this post:
bmccubbin (06-30-2021)
Old 01-11-2018, 04:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So the original question was not answered. I had a possibility of getting a new top assembly but was still on a car- would have to remove top with the frame and then store and use at a future date. I thought this would be easier than replacing just the top but I guess not.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:51 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

No, removing the canvas top is much easier.

Old 06-20-2021, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you bought your top from BAS international did it come with any pins (rivets, I think). When I opened my box I it only had the convertible top, I did purchase it 3 years ago and now was looking for those pins.

Thank you,
dm

Old 06-20-2021, 02:04 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts

Mine had rivets with it.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:16 PM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

Contact BAS, they might send them to you?

Old 06-20-2021, 03:25 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Convertible Top Guys sells a kit with the rivets, rivet gun, pry tool and instructions. I saw a tread on here too that had the exact right size drill bits and rivets for the job.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:02 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SmilesMA
When you bought your top from BAS international did it come with any pins (rivets, I think). When I opened my box I it only had the convertible top, I did purchase it 3 years ago and now was looking for those pins.

Thank you,
dm
Yes, there should be a small plastic bag with 8 large head rivets.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmilesMA

Thank you,
dm
Hello!
Sorry for the slow response. I was lost in the eternal swamp of e-mails.
To your question. It's been 3? years since I installed our top. I was thinking it came with only enough rivets for the job, no more. These are "Pop rivets", available at hardware stores, auto supplies, Harbor Freight, etc. (HF you can buy the tool with an assortment of rivets. 10% off this Independence Day weekend.) You'll need a Pop rivet tool. I'm thinking they may be 1/8" long. I don't recall them having the wider head, but it's been 3? years. (I'll look tonight if it isn't storming.) Just paint the heads black.
If you can source some of the little clips that go around the rubber at the back of the top that would be good. I had to hunt for some of mine when they popped off unexpectedly, and re-form the "teeth".
Sorry so vague. Age does that.
Bill

Old 06-30-2021, 01:20 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by gubbys2005crossfire
Hello!
Sorry for the slow response. I was lost in the eternal swamp of e-mails.
To your question. It's been 3? years since I installed our top. I was thinking it came with only enough rivets for the job, no more. These are "Pop rivets", available at hardware stores, auto supplies, Harbor Freight, etc. (HF you can buy the tool with an assortment of rivets. 10% off this Independence Day weekend.) You'll need a Pop rivet tool. I'm thinking they may be 1/8" long. I don't recall them having the wider head, but it's been 3? years. (I'll look tonight if it isn't storming.) Just paint the heads black.
If you can source some of the little clips that go around the rubber at the back of the top that would be good. I had to hunt for some of mine when they popped off unexpectedly, and re-form the "teeth".
Sorry so vague. Age does that.
Bill
If age dies that for you now, just wait until your my age. Just keep the brain active, puzzles and what people are trying to say is wrong with their car.😟