Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Can spoiler be disabled easily

Old 08-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can spoiler be disabled easily

My maximum driving speed is around 65 mph, and I think the spoiler looks a little ridiculous going up at that low speed. Is it possible to disable it without causing other problems?

Old 08-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Can spoiler be disabled easily

Yes, just pull the fuse.
Or you can install a kill switch in place of the fuse, and run the wire into the interior. Then just turn it off. When ever you feel the need for it, just flip the switch and it will go up at 65 mph like it's supposed to.
Personally I don't think the spoiler is necessary until the audible warning sounds off at 95 mph. I think Chrysler just chose 65 MPH for it to go up simply because in the land where 65 MPH is the norm in most states, if it didn't go up until it was really needed, then nobody would ever get to see it.

Last edited by +fireamx; 08-31-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:04 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
I think Chrysler just chose 65 MPH for it to go up simply because in the land where 65 MPH is the norm in most states, if it didn't go up until it was really needed, then nobody would ever get to see it.
Agreed.

And just pull the fuse - then when you get above 90, you'll hear the beep telling you it's still down!

Old 08-31-2012, 07:12 PM

Of course the standard legal disclaimers apply....(Do so at your own risk).

Old 08-31-2012, 07:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrossfireZona
My maximum driving speed is around 65 mph, and I think the spoiler looks a little ridiculous going up at that low speed. Is it possible to disable it without causing other problems?
Whoa! That's at LEAST half the fun when driving an NA I've had (as most people here probably have) drivers speed up to take a picture, and if I'm driving with one of my kids I'll be like, "Deploy the Spoiler!"..which results in more picture taking...but I'm a big kid. 2004 Silver Blue 6spd Coupe. Annnnd.....Loving it!

Old 08-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or just undo the connector in the hatch.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Yes, just pull the fuse.
Or you can install a kill switch in place of the fuse, and run the wire into the interior. Then just turn it off. When ever you feel the need for it, just flip the switch and it will go up at 65 mph like it's supposed to.
Personally I don't think the spoiler is necessary until the audible warning sounds off at 95 mph. I think Chrysler just chose 65 MPH for it to go up simply because in the land where 65 MPH is the norm in most states, if it didn't go up until it was really needed, then nobody would ever get to see it.
Keeping the fuse and installing a kill switch makes better sense, fuses have a reason for being there.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:54 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Keeping the fuse and installing a kill switch makes better sense, fuses have a reason for being there.
Fuses are there to keep the smoke from escaping from the electronics and wiring!

I can prove it, next time a fuse blows and keeps blowing, just replace the fuse with a big jumper wire.

You'll see smoke!

Old 08-31-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Fuses are there to keep the smoke from escaping from the electronics and wiring!

I can prove it, next time a fuse blows and keeps blowing, just replace the fuse with a big jumper wire.

You'll see smoke!
3/16" Cu rod is made for a reason, you know...

Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I installed the wires to the kill switch in the space where the spoiler motor's fuse was located. I have an "in-line" fuse between the fuse box and the kill switch that's in the interior.
I'm no electrician, but even I know when ever you're fooling around with an elecrical appliance (in this case the spoiler's motor) you need to use a fuse.
I must apologize to all those forum members out there I assumed had some common sense.

Last edited by +fireamx; 06-26-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

I installed the wires to the kill switch in the space where the spoiler motor's fuse was located. I have an "in-line" fuse between the fuse box and the kill switch that's in the interior.
I'm no electrician, but even I know when ever you're fooling around with an elecrical appliance (in this case the spoiler's motor) you need to use a fuse.
I must apologize to all those forum members out there I assumed had some common sence.
I commented on what you said, I am not a mind reader. Anyway when things are posted they should be factual as someone may copy them and have a disaster on their hands if they are wrong.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:57 AM

No ill will was intended 180, it's a safe secure feeling knowing our overloards in the great white north are always deligently watching over us, just waiting for us to make a mistake that could blow this whole damned thing to pieces.lol

Old 09-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You may be right....but I recall a conversation I had with Eric Stoddard (creator) this past August, about how bad the Crossfire was in early wind tunnel tests. He mentioned how important both the spoiler and rear diffuser were in managing the rear end at speeds of 60+. He went on to mention that both work together and one without the other was asking for trouble....

Old 09-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tonygg
You may be right....but I recall a conversation I had with Eric Stoddard (creator) this past August, about how bad the Crossfire was in early wind tunnel tests. He mentioned how important both the spoiler and rear diffuser were in managing the rear end at speeds of 60+. He went on to mention that both work together and one without the other was asking for trouble....
What "rear diffuser"?

You mean the one we had to buy separately? And you can no longer get?

That "rear diffuser"?

Old 09-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What "rear diffuser"?
I believe he was talking about the rear undercarriage or possibly the design of the bottom of the rear bumper. The rear diffuser that many of us have purchased including myself that installs on either side of the exhaust tips is purely cosmetic...

Old 09-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tonygg
I believe he was talking about the rear undercarriage or possibly the design of the bottom of the rear bumper. The rear diffuser that many of us have purchased including myself that installs on either side of the exhaust tips is purely cosmetic...
Thats why I made mine with 3 "slates" per side.. I can drive 120mph with no hands on a straight away!

And those are LED lights.. not mini rocket booster under ignition.. lol

Last edited by Mrmiata; 09-19-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:22 AM
Forum Regular

weird question , can i deactivate the audible warning for 95 mph? previous owner installed an srt6 wing on the car, over the motorized spoiler, (spoilerception, wingception) i know , but when i do go over 95 the sound is quite annoying , since the fuse is pulled, the light warns me its gone "wrong' then the warning , any thoughts? (and no im not driving that fast on public roads... often )

Old 10-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by falshami
weird question , can i deactivate the audible warning for 95 mph? previous owner installed an srt6 wing on the car, over the motorized spoiler, (spoilerception, wingception) i know , but when i do go over 95 the sound is quite annoying , since the fuse is pulled, the light warns me its gone "wrong' then the warning , any thoughts? (and no im not driving that fast on public roads... often )

Try applying ground ( earth ) to pin 28 of connector 4 on the body control module ( BCM ).
This will tell it that the spoiler is in the 'UP' position.

( or connect the brown/gray wire to the brown wire in the harness where the old spoiler switch was )

Old 10-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Forum Regular

thats awesome information!thank you! i might go ahead and do that , the srt6 spoiler looks good , really good... but i do often debate removing it for the mechanical one... ?

Old 10-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Try applying ground ( earth ) to pin 28 of connector 4 on the body control module ( BCM ).
This will tell it that the spoiler is in the 'UP' position.

( or connect the brown/gray wire to the brown wire in the harness where the old spoiler switch was )

Just be sure to make a simple diagram of whatever you mod and put it in with the car wherever it goes. The next owner or a tech might need the info to 'fix' the original back to OEM.

Quick Reply: Can spoiler be disabled easily