Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Blower motor resistor

Old 10-25-2018, 01:56 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: Blower motor resistor

Originally Posted by Jeff Crittenden
I'm having similar issues with odd/wrong or no blower speeds, but I'm curious if this can be related to my battery dying when the car sits for a few days. I'm asking if the resistor or some other blower related part(s) can drain the battery. Thanks y'all!
Poor fan speed control can often be the control on the dash, a sticky exists for this repair.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:28 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80

Poor fan speed control can often be the control on the dash, a sticky exists for this repair.
Yea, but let's hope its the badly-named "resistor" as its way easier to fix.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:44 PM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

Look up the step by step on this site. It makes it a lot easier.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, while I'm in there, my blower has always made a squeaking sound when it's on a speed lower that about 3 or 3 1/2 (when it does work!). Is that a common issue and is there a common "fix" for that or should I just drop the blower out while I'm fooling with the resistor? Almost sounds like the blower wheel/cage is rubbing the housing (maybe??). Is that fairly easy to drop out the blower and take a look for evidence of rubbing? It looks like it on the great photos and the video in this thread. Again, thank y'all for the forum and the participation. Great stuff!

Old 10-26-2018, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Yea, but let's hope its the badly-named "resistor" as its way easier to fix.
Easier but not cheaper, the AC control fix costs nothing.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:53 AM

My '05, 33K, The blower on my '05, 33K has been acting up this season. It will blow full speed for 5-10 seconds intermittently, even when set on low speed. Based on my online searches and this thread, I assume that I need to replace the "resistor"?

Old 05-26-2019, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar problem with my 2005 SRT-6 blower motor (Both AC and heater mode). Fan and compressor come on normally and after 5 or 6 minutes the fan stops (at any fan speed). It will eventually come on normally by itself. If I take it our of recirculation mode the forced air will be cold albeit at a low volume.
It is one of those intermittent problems that are hard to diagnose. Apppreciate any suggestions.

Old 05-26-2019, 02:31 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Fan "resistor" first, if that does not do it, you are in for a climate control module repair.

The 'resistor' is super easy to change and cheap to buy - order one and try it first.

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-26-2019, 02:37 PM
Talking Re: Blower motor resistor

to EdmundCWheeler - from your description, and to the other parties interested regarding the fan speed. As for what you're describing, in my opinion, you (we, meaning me and all of you with this problem), we need to replace that control module. I'm not referring to the fan control resistor, (RU567{#2108206210}), what I'm talking about is the switches, the rotary fan speed and vent control switch module. What I think has happened is, the fan switch axle gets old and wallered out so it doesn't make the correct speed connection. Depending on how it slumps out of socket, (so to say), it either puts the fan speed on high or even picks a speed the contact lands on.... ( This is my opinion from how the switch is acting, and, I am a technician, but, I don't claim to know-it-all. ok? )

The temporary, shade tree mechanic fix I found is this....first, I will thump, with my middle finger and thumb - the fan switch, in a manner to knock it into it's center hole. If the thumping don't get it, I've centered my finger on the fan switch and pushed in. I have done this to a point, sometimes, I even feel / hear it click - as if clicking back into the backplate where maybe it's coming out from....? offering my opinion here. But, the end result was/is...using this method of thinking, I have been able to temporarily fix the fan switch and the action of the fan, to match the desired speed you've selected. I tried to look up the fan/vent control module and for the moment, I had no luck. Hope anything I said here helps you enjoy your Crossfire, just a little bit better.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rick-In-Memphis
to EdmundCWheeler - from your description, and to the other parties interested regarding the fan speed. As for what you're describing, in my opinion, you (we, meaning me and all of you with this problem), we need to replace that control module. I'm not referring to the fan control resistor, (RU567{#2108206210}), what I'm talking about is the switches, the rotary fan speed and vent control switch module. What I think has happened is, the fan switch axle gets old and wallered out so it doesn't make the correct speed connection. Depending on how it slumps out of socket, (so to say), it either puts the fan speed on high or even picks a speed the contact lands on.... ( This is my opinion from how the switch is acting, and, I am a technician, but, I don't claim to know-it-all. ok? )

The temporary, shade tree mechanic fix I found is this....first, I will thump, with my middle finger and thumb - the fan switch, in a manner to knock it into it's center hole. If the thumping don't get it, I've centered my finger on the fan switch and pushed in. I have done this to a point, sometimes, I even feel / hear it click - as if clicking back into the backplate where maybe it's coming out from....? offering my opinion here. But, the end result was/is...using this method of thinking, I have been able to temporarily fix the fan switch and the action of the fan, to match the desired speed you've selected. I tried to look up the fan/vent control module and for the moment, I had no luck. Hope anything I said here helps you enjoy your Crossfire, just a little bit better.
I have had this control apart and I cannot see the squares on the spindles wearing out, not in this lifetime anyway.
There is a problem at times where the control board comes away from the rear of the control panel and causes a poor electrical connection. There is a simple to do fix for this and shown in a PDF. It does involve removing the radio and radio/AC bezel though to get at and remove the control itself, if it is the problem it just costs time, a little filing and a spot of epoxy glue.
If not it will be the resistor. I’d try the cheap fix first.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:43 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm having blower motor speed problems. It will only run on high or low. I changed the resistor and took my controller apart for the contact repair. Could my blower motor be the problem?

Old 09-21-2023, 03:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Been there, done that. When I got my SRT6 the fan had a life of its own.
Ended up replacing the resistor first - did not fix the issue
Replaced the blower motor with cheap replacement motor - mistake as this blower motor was dead on arrival
Ended up replacing the blower motor with quality replacement and everything worked fine ever since.