Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Possible SKREEM module... cont. from another thread

Old 01-09-2018, 08:44 PM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Re: Possible SKREEM module... cont. from another thread

thank you for the referrals, glad i could help

Old 01-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Possible SKREEM module.. cont. from another thread

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Do not go to the dealer, go to Needswings as mentioned before.
If you just left the chip in the old case move it to your new case. Easy peasy.
Unfortunately, I throw away old case without knowing that the chip was still there. Newbie mistake! Anyway, I just ordered the new key at NeedsWings. Thanks guys for the advice.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CaughtInaXF
Reply from SOS

We have helped many Crossfire owners, however, we have to say up front that Crossfire immobilizer faults are nearly impossible to diagnose in many instances. Due to the limited abilities of the dealer tool, there is no diagnostic information available for the immobilizer system.

If the fault is only in the hardware, and all software is intact, the charge for a refurbished module is $485. The charges include programming and a 1 year exchange warranty against defective parts. You can generally expect a 2 business day turnaround time for this service.

Parts needed:
Immobilizer module
ECM (engine computer)
Keys
Shipping forms

So there it is, if you want the new or an replacement SKREEM programmed you need to send all your junk to them...whew!
If yours fails it looks like a week before you will have a working car.
And have to pull the ECM and Immobilizer, guess you won't be using the key so might as well send it.

Also
ala_xfire has the fix for the dead siren batteries replacement, may still be easier to replace the unit @ $150 bucks that way your sure to have a new circuit board and updated chirp alarm. But if you want to try to tackle the battery replacement I say go for it, what can it hurt

Here is Raodster Guys replacement guide,
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post791593

Battery replacement
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...rm-module.html
or PDF,
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...save-money.pdf

Cheers!
Originally Posted by onehundred80
That price is a bit high compared to the info in this old post of mine. Like $300 + high.
CLICK
You are absolutely correct. If you know your SKREEM is bad and you can get one in a decent amount of time from a local dealer or supplier like Needs Wings, that is what we would recommend. No programming is needed. SOS services include diagnostics and verification of repair. Also, keys and modules on these cars and the older Mercedes are becoming hard to come by, so we can often repair the original modules or supply a replacement. The above posted prices are incorrect. Please get pricing direct for sosdiagnostics. SOS Diagnostics has been able to help many Crossfire owners of whom the dealer told them they needed a new SKREEM and then they got it and had the same start-die issue. We have the same issue with Dodge Sprinters. So having all the modules present for testing means SOS can confirm the fault before ordering parts (if they are even needed). I know this is an older post, but it keeps coming up with Crossfire owners, so I wanted to address it.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Actually when I overhauled my fob to a new case.. the transponder chip slipped back about 1/4 of an in from where it's supposed to sit.. two cranks and dies and then nothing.. Ironically when I went back in the house and discovered the "slipped chip" and put it all back nice and neat.. went back out and she fired.

I was fully expecting to have to disconnect the battery.. Just wanted to throw out a personal experience into this mix..
i recognize this is an old msg on topic, but my crossfire is sitting in shop now for 1 1/2 months trying to sort out if i need a new skreem or new fob or both, & if i get 1 and no positive results, what wd be next ?! Etc. ...BUT, your "accidental" comment of the chip in the fob slipping seems so simple! Afterall, i only dropped key 3 feet, so so how could Skreem just happen to need replacing after that drop? So, off to the shop to pick up key, dismantle & see if chip moved out of place in fob.
So help, how big is chip in fob; what does it look like? Can i assume it is in front of battery in fob ?

Old 02-06-2020, 10:52 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stknight1
i recognize this is an old msg on topic, but my crossfire is sitting in shop now for 1 1/2 months trying to sort out if i need a new skreem or new fob or both, & if i get 1 and no positive results, what wd be next ?! Etc. ...BUT, your "accidental" comment of the chip in the fob slipping seems so simple! Afterall, i only dropped key 3 feet, so so how could Skreem just happen to need replacing after that drop? So, off to the shop to pick up key, dismantle & see if chip moved out of place in fob.
So help, how big is chip in fob; what does it look like? Can i assume it is in front of battery in fob ?
Click on Index of Crossfire problems and repairs .... in my signature and scroll down to Fob repairs, then click on the first article. It has photos in it that show the chip. Good luck.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's worth checking it out, I guess. I've been wondering if a sudden shock (like dropping fob) can damage the chip.
Check out the great data in onehundred80's signature.
To save you a few clicks, here a quick link and photos:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...estroying.html

Old 02-07-2020, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an extra OEM fob if anyone interested.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:40 AM

Unless someone has taken the remote apart in the past and left pieces out, there is no way for the chip to move, even if dropped. You likely have another issue. If your guy cannot solve it, have him remove the parts and send them to us for testing. Most locksmith shops also have tools that can test the key and make sure the transponder is not damaged. If a key reading tool cannot read the transponder, it may be damaged. However, the transponder chip is very durable with a low failure rate due to impact. Usually only physical damage / crushing will kill them.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:18 PM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by sosxfire
Unless someone has taken the remote apart in the past and left pieces out, there is no way for the chip to move, even if dropped. You likely have another issue. If your guy cannot solve it, have him remove the parts and send them to us for testing. Most locksmith shops also have tools that can test the key and make sure the transponder is not damaged. If a key reading tool cannot read the transponder, it may be damaged. However, the transponder chip is very durable with a low failure rate due to impact. Usually only physical damage / crushing will kill them.

Does the FOB tester test the chip or just the transmitter that locks/unlocks (and related) the car. I have seen the ones in advance auto and also seen one from a dealer (for a Camaro) that just test if the FOB transmitter is working (battery integrity of the FOB). Did not know the locksmiths one could test a transponder chip. What would that tester get back besides the transmitter working to lock/unlock (or related), a number(?), a code(?), has to be something that could be interpreted into a code for the related electronics (like the SKREEM). Please tell me the name of, and part number (I would like to read up on it).

Old 02-09-2020, 02:03 PM

There are testers for transmitters and testers for transponders.