Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Car stalls on hill

Old 12-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car stalls on hill

I hope someone out there has had similar problems, because the dealer hasn't found anything yet. While at a stop light on a hill, the car shudders and/or the radio flashes to "Chrysler" or goes in and out and then it dies. After multiple attempts at restarting the engine, it eventually restarts. By the time I get it to the dealer, they can't get it to repeat the problem, but hopefully this time, they will get it to repeat by trying the incline. Any ideas is appreciated. I love my car and hate to think of continuing to deal with the problem.

Lorie

Old 12-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Default Re: Car stalls on hill

What goes in and out? the radio or the car?????????
If your on a hill (incline) and your gas tank is pretty low, possibly the fuel pump "pick-up" is not working properly. This is only a guess but is it possible that you were low on gas.
The reason the radio was flashing "Chrysler" was likely caused by the engine stall condition.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have an auto-stick, or manual? Is it a really steep incline?

Old 12-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Thumbs down Re: Car stalls on hill

Originally Posted by MI Roadster
Do you have an auto-stick, or manual? Is it a really steep incline?

MI, do you suspect that Lorie can't drive a "stick"? Shame on you.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:50 PM

It wasn't steep enough to remember as an issue when I occurred the first time, but I finally thought it could be the problem when it happened again. The car had over a half tank of gas, so don't think that was it and I only put in premium gas and it doesn't ride rough otherwise. It is not a stick, so it wasn't an issue with the clutch. Any other thoughts?

Old 12-02-2004, 06:58 PM

Does it happen if you go up the hill and don't have to stop for the light, or just after the car stops? That's really wierd. I wonder if it's something electrical? Do any warning lights come on when it's doing that?

Mb, I'm sure Lorie can drive a "stick" if she wants to!

Last edited by MI Roadster; 12-02-2004 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by MI Roadster
Does it happen if you go up the hill and don't have to stop for the light, or just after the car stops? That's really wierd. I wonder if it's something electrical?

Mb, I'm sure Lorie can drive a "stick" if she wants to!
No, it's only while I'm sitting waiting for the light that it starts to act up.

Yeah, Mb, I used to drive a stick, but now I'm old and lazy!

Lorie

Old 12-02-2004, 07:48 PM

Plugged fuel filter?

Old 12-02-2004, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by cwdilg
Plugged fuel filter?

Only when stopped on a hill waiting for the light to change. Um, don't think so.\

Lorie, got a suggestion for you. Next time you start to experience this, quickly put the tranny in 'neutral' and see if this makes a difference, such as the engine starts to idle normal again. The results of that may prove a point.

Old 12-03-2004, 04:04 PM

OR another thing might be, if you have some water in your fuel tank, the water is heaver than the fuel and if you're on an incline, the water could be at the back edge where the fuel line comes in from the pump and it might be sucking bad fuel that could stahl the engine and make it difficult to start again. Kind of out there, but could happen. Where do you get your fuel from? You might want to switch stations and see if it goes away.

Old 12-21-2004, 05:39 PM

Well, I got the car back from the dealer for the third time, and it wouldn't start after stopping five minutes from the dealer. This time, the spoiler went up on it's own too! That was a new one. The dealer has checked all electrical connections and grounding points - obviously not solved my sporadic stalling, not starting, and now spoiler going up. I love my Crossfire, but am getting really frustrated. Guess I may need to start calling DC directly. Lemon laws won't cover me since it's been over a year since I got my car, but less than 6,000 miles????? Shouldn't be happening.

#01373, SSB, auto

Old 12-23-2004, 09:22 AM

Check the electrical system. May be loose battery terminal or other connection.

Old 12-23-2004, 10:35 AM
Forum Regular

My spoiler went up one time when I stalled. Then another time I had just started it up with the spoiler in UP, and as soon as I started the car, it went down for no reason. Anyway I wouldn't worry specifically about the spoiler because it seems that theres probably one main cause for all your problems. You have a real early crossfire too.

The water in the gas tank could be a very real possibile cause for the stall, and the wing and radio could just be 'standard' side effects of a stall. Try adding some of that water out stuff to the fuel tank and run it for a day. Even if you've gone through a few tanks, there could be water in there. It's not as unsual a problem as you'd think.

Old 12-23-2004, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by mbepic
Only when stopped on a hill waiting for the light to change. Um, don't think so.\

Lorie, got a suggestion for you. Next time you start to experience this, quickly put the tranny in 'neutral' and see if this makes a difference, such as the engine starts to idle normal again. The results of that may prove a point.

Have you tried my suggestion re the stalling problem? Throw the tranny into neutral if the engine starts to stall and see what happens. Be quick, as soon as you feel a stall and keep your foot on brake. It's worth a try.

Sounds like the spoiler problem may be something different even though it happened when the engine stalled.

Old 12-23-2004, 03:33 PM
Forum Regular

Lorie: That's a real head shaker! When you finally work it out PLEASE let us know what it was. Then we can all sleep. It is frustrating but you will find out what it is, and you'll fall in love with the car all over again.
Most of the issues that I have seen on the Forum seem to be the earlier units, what's that about?

Old 12-23-2004, 03:36 PM

If this is just happening when on an incline, then it really does sound like water or trash in the fuel tank. Did the dealer try draining the fuel tank? What about the fuel filter/pressure regulator (one unit)? Does it just happen on an incline? What about when on a decline?

fyi ... water in gas station tanks is not uncommon ... especially when it is an older gas station that still has steel tanks, and especially when the water table in the area is high enough to reach the gas tanks.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Forum Regular

Alvin, thats exactly what I'm saying. Since I experienced the same thing with the wing, as have others, and the radio always says "chrylser" when you turn it on or off, theres one main theme causing the stall, and thus the other problems. It might be solved just by adding that "Dry Gas" or whatever stuff you want to use that gets water out of the tank. You might have to full up, add a can of dry gas, and then drive until the tank is on empty, but this is what I'd do. Or like Alvin said you could just drain the fuel tank.

Old 01-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Smile Re: Car stalls on hill

Finally!!!! Yeah! Got the car back for the fourth time today after a mere 3 weeks at the dealer. They apparently found a lose ground wire that was causing the problem. We'll see, but so far so good! The weather here is finally okay enough to drive it too!

Old 01-19-2005, 02:25 PM

Well, that makes sense!! Good luck, and happy driving, I hope!

Old 01-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lbeeson
Finally!!!! Yeah! Got the car back for the fourth time today after a mere 3 weeks at the dealer. They apparently found a lose ground wire that was causing the problem. We'll see, but so far so good! The weather here is finally okay enough to drive it too!
Thanks for the update. Keep us posted as to whether it was "THE FIX" after all.