Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Central Locking and Security Alarm Issues

Old 12-31-2014, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central Locking and Security Alarm Issues

Hi,

I'm not sure why I haven't asked for anyone else's opinion before on this forum on this issue, but over the summer I made the smart decision to drive through a large "puddle" (more like a small lake) from heavy rain water on a deep dip in the road. Since then, I have had several issues with the security alarm, the anti-theft/ towing button on my dash not blinking at all, and the power locks malfunctioning. I have drained the trunk area of all water.

I feel the need to say, first of all, I did my research and replaced the MB central locking vacuum pump located in the rear right-hand quarter panel area of the trunk. Now, the locks work with and ONLY work the wireless FOB key buttons. I also replaced the siren/alarm in the hood of my Crossfire, and when I first installed it, it worked and sounded off perfectly when I pressed my wireless key's PANIC button; however 6 months have passed and now, for some reason, the alarm is now shot again. Also, my Crossfire's anti-theft/ tow button on my dash no longer blinks the red light when locked since the water incident this summer.

I have been to the stealership twice since this incident for a diagnosis. The first time the dealership said the locks were malfunctioning due to water damage from the central locking vacuum pump module. I replaced it. Now they are saying the same thing even though I replaced the module with a used one I found from calling salvage car parts retailers.

I believe the issues I'm having aren't from the central locking vacuum pump, but rather electrical malfunctions due to water damage in the anti-theft/tow module located in the same area of the trunk as the vacuum pump... but I'm just a college kid who doesn't know a single thing about cars.

Could any of you lovely forum members help me further diagnosis my Crossfire's issues?

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Christian D. Parker

Old 12-31-2014, 09:28 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Central Locking and Security Alarm Issues

1. If the old pump was indeed wet and needed replacing, did you make sure all the connectors were corrosion free before connecting the replacement one ?
2. Have you tried just disconnecting the tow away module ? ( not sure what happens if you do that )
3. Did you dry out the foam packing for the pump REAL good ?

Where are you located ?

Old 12-31-2014, 09:43 AM

1. Yes, the connectors were corrosion free.

2. No, I have not disconnected the tow away module; but I'm getting the car back from the dealership today.

3.Yes, I dried out the foam as dry as the desert sun.

I live in the Mobile, Alabama area.

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
1. If the old pump was indeed wet and needed replacing, did you make sure all the connectors were corrosion free before connecting the replacement one ?
2. Have you tried just disconnecting the tow away module ? ( not sure what happens if you do that )
3. Did you dry out the foam packing for the pump REAL good ?

Where are you located ?

Old 12-31-2014, 09:46 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Well, you have exhausted my meager knowledge. Anyone else wanna chime in ?

Old 12-31-2014, 10:06 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by modernuser
1. Yes, the connectors were corrosion free.

2. No, I have not disconnected the tow away module; but I'm getting the car back from the dealership today.

3.Yes, I dried out the foam as dry as the desert sun.

I live in the Mobile, Alabama area.
How high did the water get up to?

Old 12-31-2014, 10:09 AM

Pretty high. I couldn't give you the height in feet and inches, but I would say enough to flood anything in the trunk area.
Originally Posted by onehundred80
How high did the water get up to?

Old 12-31-2014, 10:28 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Did you happen to open up that central locking pump to see that it was clean as new inside? If you're confident it is good to go then I would suggest that you go ahead and replace the anti-theft tow module and see if that fixes things . . . It would also have gotten flooded if your central locking pump was flooded. Let us know your progress and success (or lack of it) . . .

Old 12-31-2014, 12:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So lets hear little more about this puddle. Deep enough to get in the trunk is also deep enough to get in the cabin. How much water came in? How did you clean out the cabin? It is also deep enough to flood the engine.

So lets hear about the car and the flood, perhaps it will remind us of something.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:01 PM

Perhaps, but I'm not having any engine problems. And what do you mean by the cabin?
Originally Posted by 05roadsterguy
So lets hear little more about this puddle. Deep enough to get in the trunk is also deep enough to get in the cabin. How much water came in? How did you clean out the cabin? It is also deep enough to flood the engine.

So lets hear about the car and the flood, perhaps it will remind us of something.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cabin, Cockpit, Saloon, did your nikes get wet?

Did you hit a deep puddle @ 30 mph and plowed though it creating huge rooster tails, or did you hit it and skate through with little noticeable effect. I do trust you didn't stall out in it and require towing.

A story, tell us more about your car and the circumstances that got you here.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:24 PM

I did not get the cabin wet, and I came to a complete stop before attempting to drive through the puddle, so I made no rooster tails. And you are correct, I did not stall out.
Originally Posted by 05roadsterguy
Cabin, Cockpit, Saloon, did your nikes get wet?

Did you hit a deep puddle @ 30 mph and plowed though it creating huge rooster tails, or did you hit it and skate through with little noticeable effect. I do trust you didn't stall out in it and require towing.

A story, tell us more about your car and the circumstances that got you here.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:13 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by modernuser
Pretty high. I couldn't give you the height in feet and inches, but I would say enough to flood anything in the trunk area.
Just found this thread, going to replace siren soon, & windshield (2nd due to rock & crack.) NO, not that kind! Wondering: how does a lot of water get in trunk but not the cabin, when driving thru puddle/lake?
Do we know if it was Roadster or Coupe? Maybe had trunk flooded thru separated window & did not know it?
Hardly ever rains here anymore, but what is best advice for preventive maintenance besides inspection?(which I have not done, to date, no problems so far)