Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

BAS/ESP Light Troubles

Old 03-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAS/ESP Light Troubles

Hey everyone, currently having some issues with the BAS/ESP light. So here is a little bit of back story so maybe someone can help me out.

The car sat for about 3 weeks and upon returning to the car I noticed the BAS/ESP light came on after I drove it for a few minutes. Ok, no big deal, Ill just turn the wheel lock to lock to reset it and all will be good. So I reset it and the light went off. At about this point I began to realize that the brake pedal didn't quite feel normal. It feels spongy or soft upon first pushing it down and it goes pretty much to the floor. However, the light went off and I figured it was just because the car had not been driven for a while. Well the car ended up getting parked for another 3 or 4 weeks and when I drove it for the first time today The BAS/ESP light came on again and the brake pedal still feels a bit odd. I tried doing the typical reset, and disconnecting the battery, all to no avail. I know there are a ton of posts out there about this issue but I wasn't able to find any where people were having issues with the brakes being spongy.

It would be greatly appreciated if I could get some help on this issue. Feel free to ask me any questions if need be.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:49 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: BAS/ESP Light Troubles

I suspect air in the system or a leaky seal somewhere. Your symptoms are not a unique Crossfire issues but a standard spongy pedal issue where the cars brake system detects more pressure in one side than the other. Find the leak or get rid of the air and you get rid of the light and spongy feel.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:34 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

shot you my address and phone #..... stop by anytime....

Old 03-15-2015, 05:16 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by millerzrule22
Hey everyone, currently having some issues with the BAS/ESP light. So here is a little bit of back story so maybe someone can help me out.

The car sat for about 3 weeks and upon returning to the car I noticed the BAS/ESP light came on after I drove it for a few minutes. Ok, no big deal, Ill just turn the wheel lock to lock to reset it and all will be good. So I reset it and the light went off. At about this point I began to realize that the brake pedal didn't quite feel normal. It feels spongy or soft upon first pushing it down and it goes pretty much to the floor. However, the light went off and I figured it was just because the car had not been driven for a while. Well the car ended up getting parked for another 3 or 4 weeks and when I drove it for the first time today The BAS/ESP light came on again and the brake pedal still feels a bit odd. I tried doing the typical reset, and disconnecting the battery, all to no avail. I know there are a ton of posts out there about this issue but I wasn't able to find any where people were having issues with the brakes being spongy.

It would be greatly appreciated if I could get some help on this issue. Feel free to ask me any questions if need be.
Have you ever changed the fluid in the brake system? If not then you should as it may have been in there since day one. It's only a little more bother than bleeding the brakes.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:41 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

His BAS/ESP did reset. As for the brakes, they are spongy for sure and it isn't normal. He is being set up with my mechanic as soon as we can get him in. Car has under 40K on it, no signs of leakage anywhere. One of the best looking '04's I have seen. Very clean, black in color, and soon to be for sale. As far as the brakes, I don't think it is anything serious, worst case would be the booster. We shall see...and let you all know...

Old 03-24-2015, 10:42 AM

Thanks Guys! I had spongy brakes after storage for winter found air in both rear brakes upon bleeding. You guys sure know how to help a guy out! THANKS!

Old 04-11-2015, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by millerzrule22

This might sound crazy but make sure your stop light bulbs are tight. I had BAS/ESP light come on when one of the bulbs went out.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:48 PM

My problem was similar to yours and all it took was to bleed brake lines. I know it sounds crazy but it worked. Others have had the same thing happen after setting.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:15 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ken c
My problem was similar to yours and all it took was to bleed brake lines. I know it sounds crazy but it worked. Others have had the same thing happen after setting.
Nope, not crazy but one of the functions of the light to indicate pressure differences in the system.