Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

BAS ESP Light + Soft Brakes + Weird Sounds

Old 04-20-2015, 03:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BAS ESP Light + Soft Brakes + Weird Sounds

Hey all,

Happy Spring! I've been hibernating this entire, long New England winter and haven't been on the forum in months! Hope you all are well!

In getting the Crossfire out of storage, a couple issues have cropped up:

BAS ESP light is on and the car is throwing codes 1000, 1010, 1022, 1200, 1140 and 1141. The light comes on only once the pedal is pressed (and doesn't go away turning the wheel lock to lock, tire pressure is fine).

The brake pedal is also soft.. pumping it firms up the pedal which stays firm while depressed.. but then once I let off and press again, it goes back down farther than it should be.. I did drive the car and all was fine aside from the travel in the pedal (which, admittedly, is disconcerting enough)...

Lastly, and maybe unrelated: there is a distinct gurgling sound coming from the engine... in the course of driving the car to the mechanic to throw it on a lift, the sound went away.. now a couple weeks later, starting the car again for the first time, the sound is back...

SO, what are the chances all 3 issues are related? I've been searching the forum and haven't found that combination of codes. Could it just be a sensor? Or is the whole master cylinder shot possibly? I assumed the gurgling sound was the water pump or something but is there anything brake related that would make a churning liquid sound?

Old 04-23-2015, 11:20 PM
Default Re: BAS ESP Light + Soft Brakes + Weird Sounds

any ideas out there?

Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rayth

The brake pedal is also soft.. pumping it firms up the pedal which stays firm while depressed.. but then once I let off and press again, it goes back down farther than it should be.. I did drive the car and all was fine aside from the travel in the pedal (which, admittedly, is disconcerting enough)...
I had a brake pedal issue like this come up. The pedal travel when driving along was seemingly getting worse, and after one pump, the pedal firmed up and felt better. I decided to have the brake fluid flushed, because it looked dark and was probably contaminated, and took it to a local repair shop, who did the job wrong. The color of the fluid should be a light golden yellow. The Brakes had the same problem as before. I took the car to a Mercedes repair shop that works on most high-end vehicles and they found that the previous shop actually never even opened the bleed valves on the front 2 calipers, and just power flushed the rears and assumed the job was done. In fact, the MB mechanic showed me the bleed valves on the fronts, and the absence of any wrench activity on them, and he was concerned that they seemed seized, and was worried that they may need to replace the whole caliper. Which they didn't have to do. After they power flushed the system, more air came out of the fronts, and now brake pedal travel is fine. On a side note, I ripped a new one for the previous shop....... Just saying, your problem with the brakes is probably air that needs to be flushed. Sorry, can't help you with the Gurgling.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:55 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree, bleed and flush the fluid and see what you get.

Did you look up the codes?

Old 04-29-2015, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to a DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) LIST, that I have.....

C1000 > Traction system control Module
C1010 > Battery voltage low
C1022> ?? (not on list)
C1200 > Stop light switch open/shorted/Implausible <----when faulty ESP/BAS light is on.
C1140 > BAS light, play in steering column causes steering angle sensor to lose memory(?)
C1141 > ?? (not on list)

rayth .... next thing to check is your battery, either replace it or, disconnect it and "charge" it up. By disconnecting it, your car systems might re-boot.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:21 PM

Thanks fellas, car is at the shop right now and I'll try and get them to bleed the brakes and see where that gets me