Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

crank position sensor

Old 05-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default crank position sensor

This is my third sensor in a month from oreillys,but the car run and drive until wot and you hit 5000 rpm everything shuts down no throttle at come all.Coast to a stop car shuts off restarts with a cel,crank pos sensor,I clear the sensor and drive home any ideas.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:38 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: crank position sensor

Originally Posted by blackpepper
This is my third sensor in a month from oreillys,but the car run and drive until wot and you hit 5000 rpm everything shuts down no throttle at come all.Coast to a stop car shuts off restarts with a cel,crank pos sensor,I clear the sensor and drive home any ideas.

Is it (were they) BOSCH? That's my only question. If it isn't, walk home (so to speak). If they were, something else sounds amiss.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:17 PM
Forum Regular

No it isnt a bosch,but I am getting a full refund tomorrow the car is drivable after the shutdown and code clearing but after using oreillys crank sensors the car always felt a little weaker in the upper rpms,but I got a bosch on order and a camshaft sensor as well since its still the factory sensor.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:16 PM
Forum Regular

I'm going to have a close look at the connector as well because it's hard to believe that I can go out that quick I'll put one in today and had the same thing happen at wide open throttle misfires an throttle cut.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:44 PM
Forum Regular

What's surprising is no one else had chimed in but anyway no problem

Old 05-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you want us to confirm GG's post? LOL

Old 05-30-2015, 08:43 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a similar experience. Occasional problem with a long start and finally a cell. Read the code and it pertained to the CPS. Bought a Borg Warner, installed it and every time I reached 4000 rpm it quit and I had to roll to a stop on the shoulder and restart. After ordering a Bosch I cleaned the connector, used a little dialectic grease, plugged and unplugged it 5 times, reinstalled the original Bosch CPS. No trouble for years now. The new Bosch CPS is in my toolbox. I'm convinced many of the CPS problems are caused by a dirty or loose connector. Clean yours, snap and un snap it a bunch of times, install the CPS you have and test. Let us know how it turns out.

Les

Old 05-30-2015, 09:48 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

If it is not a BOSCH part, it is the wrong part.
This is not opinion, it is a conclusion based on YEARS of reading this forum and seeing what people go thru.

In fact, the CPS is such an issue, that I have carried a spare for four years now. When I finally used my spare last year, I ordered another right away.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:34 PM
Forum Regular

I have come to that conclusion as well I have two bosch sensors coming next tuesday thru amazon,I put the stock bad sensor back in,wot no throttle cuts or nothing drive back home reinstall the the oreilly sensors,misfires throttle cuts so yes its got to be the sensor,odd thing is the stock factory sensor is great until it get hot and you cut the car off better wait at least 20 mins to restart ,anyway thanks for the info small things just work my nerves.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

image.jpg1.jpg

Robert Bosch is the way to go. Many of us recognize, "OE technology provides the correct function and calibration to insure trouble-free operation." Recently, my Crossfire conked out in traffic. Lucky enough, and to my dismay, she purred back to life. Unfortunately, in the subsequent days the event occurred once more. Absent of power, I was forced to physically compel her off the path; pushing the coupe, I ruined (or broke in) my new tassel loafers, which was disheartening to say the least. Thereafter I sought the advice of the diagnosis scanner. On the account of the fact that I do not own such scanner, I utilized the (yellow) part store device.

The scanner pointed me in the direction of the CPS. With comvienence in mind, I inquired if the store stocked the item. I asked the parts store associate if he carried the CPS. Inspecting the store merchandise, he declared, "Yes, it is $70 dollars." I replied, "Is it German," assuming he would insist the item was manufactured by Bosch. To my surprise, he mentioned the part was made by "Dorman," and held, "We do not have a Bosch."

Rushing out the store, (smart phone in hand) I discoved Bamazon possessed the Bosch sensor (item # 0-261-210-170) for thirty-six bucks. Shipped to my door, (five days later) the required payment was forty-two dollars.

Lastly, I noticed that the CPS D/O/B can be found on the top of the sensor. My old (factory) CPS sensor was inscribed with the code "W 04" or "E 04," suggesting the part stems from 2004. The new sensor was marked "W 13" or "E 13."

While waiting on the USPS, I borrowed the CPS part from my SLK 230. The Mercedes part number was identical. The D/O/B of the Benz part is stamped "W 99" or E 99."

Problem solved.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:50 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Love that symbol. Persons in black suits and no hat should not attempt replacement, but persons in white overalls with a hat and a wrench the size of Texas are OK.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called local automotive parts stores no luck finding Bosch part for my limited xfire. Call Chrysler for 265 dollars I could get one but they said it was a mopar part. I called the Mercedes parts department they wouldn't sell me one for the crossfire cause it they said it wasn't comparable . really! The cost was 165 dollars. Thanks to this forum I contacted autohaus for $45 and a 5 day shipping I'm set. I hope to get it this Friday.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
If it is not a BOSCH part, it is the wrong part.
This is not opinion, it is a conclusion based on YEARS of reading this forum and seeing what people go thru.

In fact, the CPS is such an issue, that I have carried a spare for four years now. When I finally used my spare last year, I ordered another right away.

Spoiler Alert..

I've got around 60K on my replacement Bosch sensor.. all of them riding in the net behind the seat..

Damn Advanced Auto CPS refuses to die..

I don't "endorse" non Bosch.. just saying.. LOL.

And to be honest I'm really surprised with everyone else having issues that this has held up so well.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:10 PM
Forum Regular

Not trying to rain on advance parade but I have a buddy that wrks there and he loaned me a new sensor ,I notice the advance sensor has a heavy magnet like the stock sensor ,car started and drove perfeft until full throttpe misfires throttle cut and a cel cps code,cant wait til next week but I think my problem lies elsewhere now ,the connectornhas been cleaned but I am thinking its the problem.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:39 PM
Forum Regular

And here is sokething else odd the car never just cronk out unless you go wot ,all helll break loose

Old 06-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Forum Regular

Ok got my bosch sensors a day early,after the install and a few full throttle pulls no throttle cut or misfires whatsoever,I am really impressed with bosch.Here is something usefull,I am getting 8 coilnpacks and a fuel pump for 100$,a local salvage yard got a 2002 clk 500 ,looks like the exact same coilpacks as a crossfire,crank sensor connector exact same one better quality i took that already and after checking the crank sensor same part number as well,the fuel pump is a pierburg couldnt read the numbers but the car only has 44k ,car is totaled side impact.Does anyone know if its the same as the sl55 pump if so i hit the jackpot that pump will be in my crossfire friday.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Forum Regular

Fuel pump part number A0004780001,plus 8 coil packs pretty good deal