Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

big issue: running lights on/alarm started/now no response

Old 06-05-2015, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation big issue: running lights on/alarm started/now no response

I'm having a very sudden issue with my 2006 Crossfire. I'm gonna run through the past day and the current issue.

I started the car after work yesterday with no problem at 6pm. I made a few stops on my way home and it started perfectly each time. It was parked around 7pm.

Today I went out to leave and noticed that the rear and front running lights were on. I tried to use the key fob to open the door but there was no response from the key fob. I used the key to open the door and the alarm immediately activated its high pitched siren.

I attempted to start the car with the key. It sputtered like it was going to start and then died. It did that twice. I popped the hood and the alarm stopped. The front and rear running lights remained on. I left the hood open. I closed the driver door.

I proceeded to go inside and grab a different key fob. I returned to the car and tried to activate the locks with the second key fob, which failed. When I opened the door with the handle on the driver's side the alarm reactivated. I loosened and removed the battery cables from the terminal but the alarm continued to blast. I checked the owner's manual and removed fuse 9 from the hood fuse box. The alarm stopped. I reattached the battery cables. When I tried to start the car with the key there was no response..no sputtering like previously. There are no icons illuminated in the dash panel.

I have absolutely no idea what caused this as it was running perfectly at 7pm yesterday. It appears the lights being on may have drained the battery. I am currently waiting for someone to get to my house so I can try jumping the car.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Old 06-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: big issue: running lights on/alarm started/now no response

First suggestion is to NOT jump start it, many really bad things can happen.
I would :
1. Try charging the battery.
2. If it won't take a full charge, get a new battery, charge that and install it.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:30 AM

Update:

I got a car here to try to jump it off. I connected jumper cables and started other car. My emergency/hazard lights front and back immediately started going off and it was making the ticking sound. This was occurring with the outside lights and without the button activated or the dash indicator on. When I tried to start the car there was no response from the engine. It only made a rapid "tick-tick-tick" sound from underneath the hood.

During the previous time frame I had left fuse 9, the alarm fuse, out of the box. With the jumper cables attached my radio worked but no interior lights, as I figured they wouldn't. With the fuse 9 back in the interior lights worked but no alarm came back on.

I disconnected the jumper cables and tried to start the vehicle again. It made one tick, the same noise a before, and then would make no more effort to start or do anything.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:31 AM

Unfortunately I tried to jump start in the time frame before you posted. I do have a buddy with one of the charging units for batteries he carries around so I'll try to get him by today to do that.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:40 AM

OK, Good luck. It's just that I have seen several posts where people tried to jump start and broke more stuff than they fixed.
Maybe it's just me, but these newer generation computerized cars don't seem to like mating with other cars via the jumper cables.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately I tried to jump start in the time frame before you posted
Don't worry about it. I have jumped started my Crossfire twice over the years and as long as care is taken, no problem.
If you are curious as to why I had a dead battery...it's because I have a fulltime GPS security transmitter installed that has a constant drain on the battery. If three or four weeks go by without using the car, the battery will drain.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Sounds like maybe another 'water in the right rear lower cavity' problem again.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Sounds like maybe another 'water in the right rear lower cavity' problem again.
Do you mind to elaborate or link me to somewhere where it deals with this issue? It sounds like you mean water has damaged some electrical but I'm not sure.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:55 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by gobraves423
Do you mind to elaborate or link me to somewhere where it deals with this issue? It sounds like you mean water has damaged some electrical but I'm not sure.

It is EXACTLY what I mean, water may have intruded into the Central Locking Pump/Module. Do a search, you'll find many posts/advice. In a nutshell, to check, you have to remove the lower right trim and rear (dark grey?) trim panel to remove the right side foam piece under the carpet in the rear. Once you get that out, it will be easy to see if you have/had water down there. If its all dried up and you cannot tell, you will have to remove/open the foam covered module lower right cavity. Check that module for external/internal water damage and go from there. There is a number of posts linking this module to light/lock/alarm/problems, it may not be the reason for all the problems but I would eliminate this 'common' problem first. If I remember correctly, the RCM issue doesn't effect the lights/locks/alarm, it does effect the starting/running issues. So, eliminate this first (its a free check, no cost). Good luck!

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 06-06-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:44 PM

1) I removed the trim from the trunk and the foam insert last night. It doesn't appear there was any water or condensation around that area. Should I remove the black module and open it up to check inside it?

2) I attempted to charge the battery and that was a fail. It gave the battery enough juice to power the dash indicator lights and the radio to power on. When I attempted to start the car it gave one "click" and then stopped. After that point the interior dash lights and radio had no power to turn on.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:03 PM

Try a new battery, and if that fails try another new battery.