Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Hey everyone… I’m scared!

Old 06-23-2015, 10:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Hey everyone… I’m scared!

I am the proud owner of a 2004 Crossfire for about 3 weeks now and I am scared to death every time I go to start my car.

I think this car is one of the most unique, beautiful, fun-to-drive, head turning cars ever made…but I am afraid I will never be able to fix everything before something fails… and it won’t start…and I’m stranded somewhere.

Yes, I have read the other posts where members say, “didn’t you do your research before you bought the car”?

Yes, I did research on the car but my research was mostly “reviews” of the car from 2004 – 2008.

It wasn’t until “after” I bought the car and joined your Crossfire Forum that I became aware of its “problems”.

I must spend 8 hrs. a day reading every post here. I have a 4 in. binder with just about every .pdf file and comments on known issues I think I need to address/fix on my car. I have another folder of links to videos of “How to”.

The problem is I’m just a person who loves cars… and not a “mechanic” with the knowledge, skills or tools to do some of these repairs. I’m afraid that if I tackle something to fix it…I just may make it worse than it already was to begin with.

My Crossfire is my early retirement present to myself as I will being retiring this December after working 48 yrs. and I was really looking forward to a non-stressful retirement…but now I’m not so sure.

I probably know more about the Crossfire in these past 3 weeks than any other car I’ve own in the past 50 yrs.

Well thanks for allowing me to vent and please excuse some of my questions I’ll be asking in the near future as I’m sure many of you have heard and answered them many times already.

PS… I do want to say that even with all the uncertainty I have I do have some sort of comfort having this site and all of you available as a resource. In the few weeks I have been a member here I have gotten advice, bought parts and learned so much. Everyone seems to look forward in trying to solve someone else’s problems as quick as they can…and then document it for the next person (like me).

Thanks everyone and keep up the good work and I hope to meet some of you in person someday…Jim

The following users liked this post:
dennyandnancy (06-27-2021)
Old 06-23-2015, 11:03 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Re: Hey everyone… I’m scared!

Originally Posted by ultrajim49

I am the proud owner of a 2004 Crossfire for about 3 weeks now and I am scared to death every time I go to start my car.

I think this car is one of the most unique, beautiful, fun-to-drive, head turning cars ever made…but I am afraid I will never be able to fix everything before something fails… and it won’t start…and I’m stranded somewhere.

Yes, I have read the other posts where members say, “didn’t you do your research before you bought the car”?

Yes, I did research on the car but my research was mostly “reviews” of the car from 2004 – 2008.

It wasn’t until “after” I bought the car and joined your Crossfire Forum that I became aware of its “problems”.

I must spend 8 hrs. a day reading every post here. I have a 4 in. binder with just about every .pdf file and comments on known issues I think I need to address/fix on my car. I have another folder of links to videos of “How to”.

The problem is I’m just a person who loves cars… and not a “mechanic” with the knowledge, skills or tools to do some of these repairs. I’m afraid that if I tackle something to fix it…I just may make it worse than it already was to begin with.

My Crossfire is my early retirement present to myself as I will being retiring this December after working 48 yrs. and I was really looking forward to a non-stressful retirement…but now I’m not so sure.

I probably know more about the Crossfire in these past 3 weeks than any other car I’ve own in the past 50 yrs.

Well thanks for allowing me to vent and please excuse some of my questions I’ll be asking in the near future as I’m sure many of you have heard and answered them many times already.

PS… I do want to say that even with all the uncertainty I have I do have some sort of comfort having this site and all of you available as a resource. In the few weeks I have been a member here I have gotten advice, bought parts and learned so much. Everyone seems to look forward in trying to solve someone else’s problems as quick as they can…and then document it for the next person (like me).

Thanks everyone and keep up the good work and I hope to meet some of you in person someday…Jim

Don't be too worried about your car. What you read here is problems mostly from fastidious fools trying to keep them" perfect" or idiots like me pushing them too hard. Underneath the exotic skin is a simple Mercedes 320 SLK. And nothing that happens to them is particularly unique.

Aside from body damage, nothing that breaks or wears out is un-repairable. So drive it like you stole it. because with the depressed value of these cars, you likely did.

If you want to meet some of us, come to the fall Dragon October 1-4. You will not believe how many old friends you will run across there.

Nurseangel01 (08-20-2023)
Old 06-23-2015, 11:08 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Don't be too worried about your car. What you read here is problems mostly from fastidious fools trying to keep them" perfect" or idiots like me pushing them too hard. Underneath the exotic skin is a simple Mercedes 320 SLK. And nothing that happens to them is particularly unique.

Aside from body damage, nothing that breaks or wears out is un-repairable. So drive it like you stole it. because with the depressed value of these cars, you likely did.

If you want to meet some of us, come to the fall Dragon October 1-4. You will not believe how many old friends you will run across there.

Jim, I could not have said it better! Have fun with it and before you take it in to any repair shop, bounce it off of a few members first. Welcome and good luck!

Old 06-23-2015, 11:27 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this place before I bought mine. The people and resources are what sold it for me.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:02 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I'm sure with all the reading you have done, it has sunk in that YOU DO NOT TAKE IT TO A DEALER before asking for help here.
Even then, DON'T TAKE IT TO A DEALER !
Take it to a good MB independent shop if you must.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:22 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by ultrajim49

This forum deals mostly with the problems found on Crossfires, there are not too many posts saying that no problems have been found even if is true for most Crossfires.
If you go to a hospital you see sick people and not so many healthy ones, sick cars come to this forum.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:29 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
sick cars come to this forum.
Not to mention a few truly sick people.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:26 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had 3 of them and never had a major problem with any of em. And I currently have 2. Even though one is for sale. Just because the last one I bought was an SRT. Great being on the Forum though in case something did go wrong !!
Ken

Old 06-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't be scared, I purchased my car from a drag racer,I have had any issues and I drag the car also,no issues but normal wear and tear,plugs and wires,upgraded pump o2 sensor so please enjoy this great car.

×Crossfire1× (03-19-2023)
Old 06-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Not to mention a few truly sick people.
That's too funny . . . . I'm still laughing!

Old 06-24-2015, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an 04 9 months ago. Had a couple of minor issues in the beginning that were solved by doing research here, some very good help and advice from forum members,and using very little money. Smooth sailing since. Best car I ever owned.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Best attention getting car I own is a tie for second with my black roadster srt6 RIP,number one is my 94 Subaru svx red with black hood an black wheels

Old 06-24-2015, 04:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't describe the condition of your new baby or how many miles it has been driven.
One option would be to spend a couple K and purchase an extended warranty/service contract provided your existing
Mileage is not prohibitive. You can obtain a max care contract for up to 5 years. Prices are competitive. You can drive stress free
and sleep better at night! Welcome! I'm not really new to the forum, I owned a 2004 coupe for 11 years and just sold it last month. 36k problem free miles. I now have 2008 roadster with 6k. Welcome to the forum!

Old 06-24-2015, 09:45 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Look at any forum for fanatics and you will find the same thing. Any more I would not buy a car that does not have a wealth of online information. For me that means a forum of people with answers and online service and parts manuals.

One difference: all of my information is on the tablet or computer I have with me, have them for every car/scooter/trailer I own except the 70. That is on paper. Crossfire alone is almost 800 MB now, one folder would not be enough (and 300 mb is the 12,717 files in 36 directories that make up the factory service manual).

Be glad there is almost every possible problem listed here because each usually includes the fix.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:57 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

Enjoy the Crossfire
Don't get overly concerned with the problems you see here
Many of us have been driving these for years without ever experiencing these issues
I have had mine for over 8 years with only a new CPS and a fuel filter and pump
I have never been stranded anywhere and have put on 80,000 miles of complete enjoyment

Drive it....Love it ...and keep on the Perma-Grin

Gary

Old 06-25-2015, 12:47 AM
Received 197 Likes on 151 Posts

You see the problem is that very few post the good,, but most post the bad. a bout 3 years ago i made a thread to post the good,, one to none problems with a crossfire
I got my SRT 6 in 2006 then it became SRT V8 in 2010 yes i fixed the sticky key the same day it happened That's one and that is the only one . yes racing it i broke an axle two weeks ago, great job Rudy, Rob, JR, George,

Oh if you are in Florida Sat June 27 at PBIR we are having street racing made safe come out even to watch. jim 6PM to Midnight

Palm Beach International Raceway - Street Racing Made Safe

Old 06-26-2015, 02:10 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

I must jump in here and say something about the advice to get an extended warranty. Most of the posts I see about the frustrations of an extended warranty revolve on the differences between what the warranty salesman says is covered, and what is actually covered. Read the items covered very closely and decide if you think one of those giant cost items are covered, if you think it will fail, and if you can self-help a repair on that high cost item yourself. In all my dealings with people with extended warranties, the mechanics where the car was brought either denied coverage, or replaced many many items until it was either fixed or not (leaving the car in the same shape) making the owner have to make other arrangements. As a rule, I have seen advice from folks who bought them say they would never again buy one. I also have seen folks who have them, say they got the thing fixed and they are happy. Check the coverage carefully, check the deductible, make sure your interaction with the mechanic outlines as close as it can, the reason your there. Having them fix something covered will cost you the deductible. Having the car back for the same reason numerous times may cost you numerous deductables (and may still not fix the car). This forum has seen just about everything that can go wrong with the car and if no one has butchered the wiring/mechanicals then with a good detailed description of its symptoms, you can narrow it down pretty fast. Good luck with your car, listen to the advice about not taking it to a dealership (they reference most of them as 'stealerships').

Old 06-27-2015, 12:20 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For the most part, I have found the car to be pretty reliable. Like any car, routine maintenance is necessary for trouble free operation.