Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

OBDII scanner recommendations

Old 12-17-2017, 10:35 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OBDII scanner recommendations

Originally Posted by syfi
Looks like you'll want to look at the higher priced models to get the bennies of the pro scanners. Here's a very popular scanner that is guaranteed to read and clear all codes including ABS and Transmission codes, plus is internet up-gradable and can print out results via PC.

Launch Tech Code Reading Scan Tool CRP123 - 301050116
Complete Domestic, Asian & European Coverage for ABS, SRS, Transmission & Engine
Enhanced Data Stream for ABS, SRS, Transmission and Engine
Auto Vehicle ID, Auto Module Search & Ultra-fast Protocol ID
Reads & clears codes on Engine, Transmission (A/T), ABS, and Airbag (SRS) systems – on all makes and all models
Includes all functions of previous CReader models for OBD Generic
Support for all 10 test modes of OBDII with Enhanced OBDII Mode 6
Retrieves generic and manufacturer specific codes – both permanent & pending
Turn off Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)
View freeze frame data and I/M Readiness monitor status
Graph, record, and replay data in full color
Enhanced Help Functions
Intuitive Interface and Button Operation with Sleek, Rugged Design
3.5” TFT color display
Multilingual menu with DTC definitions in English, Spanish & French
Internet updateable
Print Data Via PC

Amazon.com: Launch Tech 301050116 'CRP123' ABS, SRS, Transmission and Engine Code Scanner: Automotive

I bought this one originally but had to return it because you can't use it with a Apple computer.
Bill T.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Billto
I bought this one originally but had to return it because you can't use it with a Apple computer.
Bill T.
Have you found anything that works with Apple/Mac laptops?

I bought a refurbished old Dell Latitude on eBay (cheap) just to download a EuroTune, but it did't work for that. I ended up driving to a shop in Atlanta to get the Crossfire tuned. I just read at the auto ingenuity website that the Dell computer especially the old Latitudes have USB problems and so it seems that Dell running Windows XP is useless. I sure would like to see a good OBD II program interface with a Apply/Mac computer.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by zip439
Have you found anything that works with Apple/Mac laptops?

I bought a refurbished old Dell Latitude on eBay (cheap) just to download a EuroTune, but it did't work for that. I ended up driving to a shop in Atlanta to get the Crossfire tuned. I just read at the auto ingenuity website that the Dell computer especially the old Latitudes have USB problems and so it seems that Dell running Windows XP is useless. I sure would like to see a good OBD II program interface with a Apply/Mac computer.
You coulda drove up here Steve, I did Randy's ( randyradio )car with my laptop ....

Old 12-18-2017, 02:40 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the iCarsoft MB 2 and it works ok but
what about this ?

https://www.dhgate.com/product/mb-st...arl|4162160980

just dont let it go online , it will try to update and MB will kill it,or so i have been told .

https://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/sea...mesearch201403

Last edited by daveesrt6; 12-21-2017 at 12:35 AM. Reason: merry xmas
Old 12-18-2017, 09:28 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Well Apply or PC does not matter because the iCarSoft MBII will not talk to anything. According to iCarSoft "MB II not support upload data yet." Had to take 31 photographs to record the stored codes (mostly from a battery replacement) before clearing

OTOH the CRP123 ""sorry,it can not reset. the main functions are read and clear codes. if you want to reset, you can have a look on another product, the ASIN is B00NID586M." (that ASIN is for the Launch 431 which is more expensive than a Star/Das system)

My main issue was having both a '01 SLK320 and a '07 Crossfire was finding something that could access and reset the SRS (airbag) system on both (dealer took two weeks to find a tool that could).

Just to reiterate, Mercedes (and the Crossfire) stores EVERYTHING that happens. Mostly there do not set a warning light.

Secondly these codes are "Mercedes specials" and not OBD-II "P" codes

The best Android based scanner for Mercedes, Carly Pro for Mercedes ($40) does everything AFTER the R170/Crossfire.

So for a buck and a half the iCarSoft MBII seems to do everything needful for the Crossfire. Just the upload "feature" does not work. Yet.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:57 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=zip439;898822]Have you found anything that works with Apple/Mac laptops?

I bought a refurbished old Dell Latitude on eBay (cheap) just to download a EuroTune, but it did't work for that. I ended up driving to a shop in Atlanta to get the Crossfire tuned. I just read at the auto ingenuity website that the Dell computer especially the old Latitudes have USB problems and so it seems that Dell running Windows XP is useless. I sure would like to see a good OBD II program interface with a Apply/Mac computer.[/QUOTE

I bought the Ultra Gauge (wireless) plus I use the one I got from Harbor Freight. Does all I need.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:01 PM

The big issue is that the "upload" capability of the recorded session, though there, it does not work & iCarSoft just confirmed that it does not work: "MB II not support upload data yet". This left me with photographing and saving 31 displays to cover everything. All of my other scanners (Torque Pro, Carly Pro) have this capability.

Now a request: will everyone who has a iCarSoft or who is considering one please send an e-mail to support@icarsoft.us and tell them that for a Mercedes, the ability for the MBII to record codes offline is an essential function. If they get enough e-mails it will raise the priority but need your support.

This is the only sub-$500 scanner I've found that works on both my '07 and '01 and does (almost) everything I need.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:28 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Another option ?

https://www.dhgate.com/store/product...0.html#ctabBox

Old 12-21-2017, 09:33 AM

Dave: Since that only works for devices to MB to 2004 that sounds like a C3. Will it reset the SRS on an '07 ? Also you need a Windows XP computer with a RS232 (serial) port.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:00 PM

And today has not been productive. The Autel DiagLink arrived today but have been unable to get the BENZ software pack. $109 is a reasonable price but not if it cannot download the necessary software.

Called tech support and they insisted on being able to remote in which is not allowed. Sent screen shots instead. Insisted it was my computer (tried on three different pcs, two Win 10 and one Win 7. Same-same).

If they cannot figure it out, will send back.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
modss.jpg (135.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 12-21-2017, 11:20 PM

OK finally figured it out. The Autel download site collects the scan elements into groups then lists the elements in the group. So the "OilReset_BENZ" group includes all of the BENZ capabilities. So all of those elements are installed as a group (see pic).

First look indicates that it is A Lot more capable than the iCarSoft MBII and for about 3/4 the price. Seems to test more systems and can export to PC but going to have to spend more time with it.

Attached Images
autel6no.jpg (139.5 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Padgett; 12-21-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:40 PM

And now that I have had more time to test I found that the Autel is unable to talk to the SRS (airbag) system on my '07 Crossfire. Even invested U$10 more for the Chrysler module because Crossfire was listed in there on the Autel site. Even less information than from the BENZ module.

Meanwhile the iCarSoft is able to talk to the airbag system (but could not check clearing since have no codes now and not about to add any...)

So for 3/4 the price, if you have an '04, '05, or maybe an '06 the Autel DiagLink is the most effective. But if you have an '07 or '08, the iCarSoft MBII is the only one that appears to talk to the Air Bag module.

Attached Images
airbagdata07.jpg (228.1 KB, 37 views)
nocomm.jpg (116.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 12-23-2017, 11:32 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Many thanks for your time, effort, and $$ to provide us this information!

Last edited by Toolman; 12-23-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:42 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett

So for 3/4 the price, if you have an '04, '05, or maybe an '06 the Autel DiagLink is the most effective. But if you have an '07 or '08, the iCarSoft MBII is the only one that appears to talk to the Air Bag module.
Do you mean knee air bag module? Previous years have air bag modules, I am not too sure what you mean.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:47 PM

OK may not have this 100% but in '07 Crossies changed from a SRS controller to an ORC (occupant restraint controller) with a different communications sequence. Early MB scan tools (C3 and maybe C4) do not have this update and in-depth scanners under $200 that I looked at either do not recognise the R170 at all (Carly Pro) or not the later Crossfires (Autel DiagLink) ORC.

Now since the Autel is able to read the ORC system in my '12 Jeep, I suspect it is just a matter of subroutine selection. OTOH the iCarSoft MBII (not i980) is able to interrogate the ORC system and get an answer.

That said the Autel is much more versatile for less money and the iCarSoft is not perfect, export to data to a PC fails with an "unsupported" message.

For us the best answer would be if Carly Pro would support the R170/Crossfire since is the least expensive & know it can access the ORC in an R171 but is unlikely and again is marque specific like the iCarSoft. The Autel starts out at $109 with one marque module. For $10 extra I bought the Chrysler module which lists the Crossfire and covers my Jeep. Additional marque modules are $10 each.

For now I am badgering both Autel and iCarSoft to "be all that they can be". I'm betting that one will.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK may not have this 100% but in '07 Crossies changed from a SRS controller to an ORC (occupant restraint controller) with a different communications sequence. Early MB scan tools (C3 and maybe C4) do not have this update and in-depth scanners under $200 that I looked at either do not recognise the R170 at all (Carly Pro) or not the later Crossfires (Autel DiagLink) ORC.

Now since the Autel is able to read the ORC system in my '12 Jeep, I suspect it is just a matter of subroutine selection. OTOH the iCarSoft MBII (not i980) is able to interrogate the ORC system and get an answer.

That said the Autel is much more versatile for less money and the iCarSoft is not perfect, export to data to a PC fails with an "unsupported" message.

For us the best answer would be if Carly Pro would support the R170/Crossfire since is the least expensive & know it can access the ORC in an R171 but is unlikely and again is marque specific like the iCarSoft. The Autel starts out at $109 with one marque module. For $10 extra I bought the Chrysler module which lists the Crossfire and covers my Jeep. Additional marque modules are $10 each.

For now I am badgering both Autel and iCarSoft to "be all that they can be". I'm betting that one will.
Can you list the links to the exact models you are referring to so that we can purchase the right one. Thank you for all your efforts and time testing these out. Huge time saver for me. I really appreciate it!

Old 02-02-2018, 12:04 AM

I'll put something together but as yet there is no One True Scanner and my funding for different ones to test is limited.

What happened was that terminology changed but not sure about controller as the Supplimental Restraint System (SRS) became the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) and yes it added knee air bags but already had two in the front and two in the sides so just went from four to six.

That said the communications changed so you do not communicate with the ORC the same way you do with the SRS and older systems cannot communicate with the later ones.

So the bottom line is that if you have an '04 to '06, the Autel is the most versatile (and can talk to my '12 Jeep GC). OTOH if you have an '07 or '08 then only the iCarSoft MB-II is able to communicate but cannot export the findings (every other scan tool has a way).

Then there is the new
<i>iCarsoft MB V1.0 </i> iCarsoft MB V1.0
which may fix the shortcomings of the MB-II and the Launch CRP123 which may do all of the above but I have not examined one.

Last edited by Padgett; 02-02-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:08 AM

I'll put something together but as yet there is no One True Controller and my funding for different ones to test is limited.

What happened was that terminology changed but not sure about controller as the Supplimental Restraint System (SRS) became the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) and yes it added knee air bags but already had two in the front and two in the sides so just went from four to six.

That said the communications changed so you do not communicate with the ORC the same way you do with the SRS and older systems cannot communicate with the later ones.

So the bottom line is that if you have an '04 to '06, the Autel is the most versatile (and can talk to my '12 Jeep GC). OTOH if you have an '07 or '08 then only the iCarSoft MB-II is able to communicate but cannot export the findings (every other scan tool has a way).

Then there is the new iCarsoft MB V1.0 which may fix the shortcomings of the MB-II and the Launch CRP123 which may do all of the above but I have not examined one.
The SRS is the same as the OCR, they are used interchangeably with one another. You mention “one true controller” to what do you refer? Is that the hand held fault reader or the SRS/ORC? You will find the SRS symbol on all years I believe.
The knee bags will come into use when the front bags are deployed.
I find you use too many acronyms in your posts and this could lead to confusion and possible harm, the ones used here are fine more or less as you explain them, OTOH some of your posts are unintelligible because the acronym is not commonly used and may be just your own, IMHO. Most people on here use very few acronyms, so WYSIWYG.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-02-2018 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:47 AM

Agree, I tend to use a lot of acronyms but try to explain the special ones.

My bete noir is the SRS/ORC/Airbag system. The MB-II can communicate with it on my '07, the Autel cannot. Yet. Both can read my '01 SLK

I would like to buy one of each but in that case I would have an Autoenginuity. I *suspect* that there are only one or two sources for scanner software because the menus are so similar. But most seem to come from the far east and hard to get a proper answer.

Best would be if Carly Pro for Mercedes (Android based and $40) worked but it does not cover the R170/Crossfire

Since it doesn't we have to rely on other systems.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:56 AM

When I had trouble on my 300 the hand held ones I had found some problems and the cars onboard system found another but not the ones on my hand held one. I think the whole system is a bit erratic and maybe the dealers ones are more reliable, trouble is the dealers are cheats and liars so that is the weak link in the chain. Dealers will soon be gone and you will go to a showroom, look at the cars and order on line from Amazon, delivered to your door what can be better than that, dealers are dinosaurs and soon to be extinct the way we know them now. Hooray for that.

Quick Reply: OBDII scanner recommendations