Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Bas/esp

Old 07-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bas/esp

Hey everyone. I just got into my new limited after my last one was totaled. The new one is a 2005 with 24,000 miles on it. The car looks and drives brand new. However the BAS/ESP light on the dash comes on ONLY after moving the steering wheel. The light is off when the car is first started and remains off until the steering wheel is moved ever so slightly. I have search the forums and tried the fixes like resetting the system, disconnecting the battery, and trying the read and clear codes. The car is showing no codes anywhere when connect to a reader. From my understanding it could be the module, but the brake lights still work when the brake is depressed. From my understanding they will not work if the module is bad?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I have checked the tire pressure all the way around and they sitting where they should be.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Bas/esp

Originally Posted by Blackout317
Hey everyone. I just got into my new limited after my last one was totaled. The new one is a 2005 with 24,000 miles on it. The car looks and drives brand new. However the BAS/ESP light on the dash comes on ONLY after moving the steering wheel. The light is off when the car is first started and remains off until the steering wheel is moved ever so slightly. I have search the forums and tried the fixes like resetting the system, disconnecting the battery, and trying the read and clear codes. The car is showing no codes anywhere when connect to a reader. From my understanding it could be the module, but the brake lights still work when the brake is depressed. From my understanding they will not work if the module is bad?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I have checked the tire pressure all the way around and they sitting where they should be.

The module that appears to have failed is the one that has to be reset after the battery has been disconnected. Is that the module you are talking about.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

The module that appears to have failed is the one that has to be reset after the battery has been disconnected. Is that the module you are talking about.
I believe so, on my other limited when the light would come on the reset with the turning the wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right would clear the light. This time it does not clear. I could be mistaken tho.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackout317
I believe so, on my other limited when the light would come on the reset with the turning the wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right would clear the light. This time it does not clear. I could be mistaken tho.
I'd go here and do the tests, not sure if you have the equipment required.
2004 Service Manual, 5 - 124 BRAKES - ABS ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSTICS, STEERING ANGLE SENSOR CIRCUIT.
Check fuse #14 (?) under the hood as well.

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-07-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=Blackout317;841479]I believe so, on my other limited when the light would come on the reset with the turning the wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right would clear the light. This time it does not clear. I could be mistaken tho.[/QUOTE

You may have to do the steering reset more than once. On my last Crossfire, I had to do it at least three times over a period of days before it cleared, and never came back. Also, turn the steering wheel slowly and pause for a couple of seconds when you get to the left and right stops, then slowly back to center. Hope this works.