Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

BAS/ESP & "bulb Light" indicators on when pressing brake pedal

Old 09-06-2015, 08:38 AM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts
Default Re: BAS/ESP & "bulb Light" indicators on when pressing brake pedal

Originally Posted by badcookie
Good assumption. Cruise would cut out when the BAS and "light out" indicators would illuminate.
I thought you were running alongside the car with the hood up at 20mph wiggling the fuse.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-06-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I thought you were running alongside the car with the hood up at 20mph wiggling the fuse.
That would be above my skill level unfortunately. Haha

semi related; I once exchanged a bag of popcorn for some Doritos while driving down to Tennessee with another car in our group at 70mph. That's about as dangerous as I like to live.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

That would be above my skill level unfortunately. Haha

semi related; I once exchanged a bag of popcorn for some Doritos while driving down to Tennessee with another car in our group at 70mph. That's about as dangerous as I like to live.
If both bags were unopened, then you were the winner !

Old 09-15-2015, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was changing the brake light switch a hard job ? Is it hard to get to & find & change ? Mine just started doing this no brake lights & BAS light on ! Goes off when I restart car but as soon as I touch brake pedal back on !

Old 11-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANK YOU for figuring this out. I've been scratching my head over this issue for most of this year. I haven't been driving my Crossfire much because of this issue, and a bead leak in one of my rims. I bought a brake light switch months ago but I have to work on my car outside in Arizona so I put it off until just now. The brake light switch did nothing, I found your thread, tested the #2 fuse on the illumination control module, and it was loose.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ed Mahoney
Was changing the brake light switch a hard job ? Is it hard to get to & find & change ? Mine just started doing this no brake lights & BAS light on ! Goes off when I restart car but as soon as I touch brake pedal back on !
Ed, to get to the brake light switch you have to remove the bottom section of the dash panel. The switch is located at the top of the brake pedal. You have to remove two, two pin, wiring harnesses. The switch has to be turned about 90 degrees before it will pull out. I broke mine and had to use pliers to remove the rest.

If you are having this issue I would check the fuse panel inside the driver side door first to make sure nothing is loose. My brake light switch was probably fine. My fuse is loose.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:33 PM

Update on the brake light failure... Turns out it was the switch on the right was a hair to short. I would assume it was causing an intermittent contact failure. The one on the left is longer and thus works like it should. Thats what I get for not checking the new and old parts to make sure they were the same. LOL
Those two switches are the same.

I had a defective brake light switch in the W202. I learned when you replace the switch, you pull the end of the switch out as far as you can. It will "ratchet" out several millimeters. Then you install the replacement switch while holding the brake pedal depressed. When you release the pedal, it will compress the pin, and self adjust.

This drove me nuts for some time till I figured it out.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I changed mine out with out any problems ! Didn't have to take dash apart but it probably would have gone easier ! Saw it do on you tube video too !