Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Aggressive wheel rumble at 65+

Old 09-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aggressive wheel rumble at 65+

I've replaced all tires with new ones and changed the wheel bearing ( inner and outer) on the passenger side ( where I assume its coming from). I've got a list of things to tackle on this car since I've purchased it and this one seems to be getting the better of me. Does anybody have this problem or could direct me towards another possible problem area?
Joints seem to in relatively good shape and don't pop wheel I rotate the wheel from lock to lock...
Perhaps the steering stabilizer is shot??
HELP!

Old 09-20-2015, 04:18 PM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Re: Aggressive wheel rumble at 65+

Originally Posted by cdcrone123
I've replaced all tires with new ones and changed the wheel bearing ( inner and outer) on the passenger side ( where I assume its coming from). I've got a list of things to tackle on this car since I've purchased it and this one seems to be getting the better of me. Does anybody have this problem or could direct me towards another possible problem area?
Joints seem to in relatively good shape and don't pop wheel I rotate the wheel from lock to lock...
Perhaps the steering stabilizer is shot??
HELP!

I would check the wheel balancing, and if you have spacers installed I would check they are hub centric. Also, might want to look at the wheel alignment. I also would look to see if there is any tire damage, like a bulge or bad dimple in a sidewall. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2015, 04:34 PM

No spacers and I was there when they balanced the tires. All was good. Although that improved the driveability, there's still something causing the wobble.. Idk im out of ideas lol

Old 09-20-2015, 07:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Can you jack 1 corner at a time and Shake the wheel around, to see if that wheel is tight or if there is play, side to side checks steering, up and down ball joints.
Is your car a manual or auto?
If it is a manual, do u you feel more shaking in the steering wheel or more if you hold onto the shifter?
If it is a manual and you feel alot of vibration in the shifter, it could be in the driveline, driveshaft bearing, flex disc etc.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Can you jack 1 corner at a time and Shake the wheel around, to see if that wheel is tight or if there is play, side to side checks steering, up and down ball joints.
Is your car a manual or auto?
If it is a manual, do u you feel more shaking in the steering wheel or more if you hold onto the shifter?
If it is a manual and you feel alot of vibration in the shifter, it could be in the driveline, driveshaft bearing, flex disc etc.
Is it a manual however I don't feel it in the shifter as much. I lifted it up and when I go from side to side there's a bit of play, by play I mean more like it goes ( cluck cluck?) Up and down is as tight as can be and I can't move it at all nearly. I defiantly feel it more in the wheel towards 65+ it'll shake hard back and forth

Old 09-20-2015, 07:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had new wheels and tires installed awhile back. The wheels were balanced. I took the car for a drive and had excessive wobble. I took the car back and found that the right rear wheel was still out of balance. That was corrected and no problems since.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bill F
I had new wheels and tires installed awhile back. The wheels were balanced. I took the car for a drive and had excessive wobble. I took the car back and found that the right rear wheel was still out of balance. That was corrected and no problems since.
After I had the right front changed I found an excess of green too in it. Maybe the it was the fix a flat stuff but it was puddled up. Im going to check the left front next. It will tremendously throw my balance out if there's anything in the tire lol

Old 09-20-2015, 09:30 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A busted belt in tire will cause wobble at speed also.
Which happens with any car or tire.
Which I have had even with good years and michelin.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:02 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

Sometimes a different balancing technique can be used
Ask them to "Road Force" balance all 4 wheels and give that a try

Last edited by Valk; 09-20-2015 at 10:05 PM.