Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

New problem

Old 09-21-2015, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New problem

My engine management light has come on and off recently. I had the car in the body shop for a small repair and they left the boot open and the battery was flat on collecting the car. They jumped it and I went home. The following day I took the car out for a small drive and the car stalled and was difficult to start. The day after I used the car and after a short journey the car stalled again came to a halt and would not start again. The engine management light is on again. After leaving it for about an hour it eventually started again.
Anyone have this problem?

Old 09-21-2015, 10:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: New problem

Originally Posted by Den656
My engine management light has come on and off recently. I had the car in the body shop for a small repair and they left the boot open and the battery was flat on collecting the car. They jumped it and I went home. The following day I took the car out for a small drive and the car stalled and was difficult to start. The day after I used the car and after a short journey the car stalled again came to a halt and would not start again. The engine management light is on again. After leaving it for about an hour it eventually started again.
I have not had this issue, but it sounds like the description of the CPS, (Crankshaft Position Sensor). They seem to start to fail and work when cooled down. There are tons of articles about them on this site.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:23 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Is proably either a bad ignition module, CPS, or a failing fuel pump. For me:
1) check what code is set in history.
2) check the fuel rail pressure

May give an indication of what is happening.

BTW I hope they jumped it with a battery, chargers put out such trash power that it can scamble electronics. With a computer car I always use a jump box.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:52 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Den656
My engine management light has come on and off recently. I had the car in the body shop for a small repair and they left the boot open and the battery was flat on collecting the car.
They jumped it and I went home. The following day I took the car out for a small drive and the car stalled and was difficult to start. The day after I used the car and after a short journey the car stalled again came to a halt and would not start again. The engine management light is on again. After leaving it for about an hour it eventually started again.
If the battery was dead it might be the source of the troubles you are having
Driving the car after a jump start does not fully restore the charge to the battery
If you can use a volt meter ...check the battery voltage after it has been parked overnight and not run
The battery voltage should be at least 12.5 volts
Anything less would be the first thing I would be concerned about and rectify

Old 09-23-2015, 12:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is precisely why I removed the light bulb from the boot.