Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Convertible top won't open :(

Old 09-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Convertible top won't open :(

My convertible top will not go down on my 2006 Crossfire. Is there a manual way of opening it or a safety switch that may have been activated as boyfriend tried to open it with the trunk door up? PLEEEEEEEASE HELP, as this is my baby and my boyfriend wishes to live long enough to see the light of day! THANK YOU!!! Oh Susannah

Last edited by Osusannah; 09-27-2015 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Just didn't like the wording.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:34 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Convertible top won't open :(

see https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...operation.html

Old 09-27-2015, 07:22 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Trying to move it with the trunk open does no harm, the interlocks just stop the pump from running.

Make sure the trunk divider is in position and securely close the trunk and try again.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:30 PM

Thanks very much for your input. We were able to get the top down manually, as you instructed. Although after putting it back up with the switch, it did not go back down again. Any thoughts?

Old 09-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Administrator

I need much more information.

1) If you unlatch the top from the windshield frame, do the driver and passenger windows automatically go down?

2) Once the windows go down, is the little light on in the top switch?

3) If so, and you press the switch, do you hear a beep?

4) If it does NOT beep - do you hear the faint sound of the electric trunk lock activating?

5) Do you then hear the hydraulic motor start running?

Your answers should be: yes, yes, no, yes, yes. The first 'wrong' answer is the beginning of knowing what is wrong here.

The following users liked this post:
Robgauss (12-30-2023)
Old 03-15-2017, 07:19 PM

New member here. Just picked up an 05 Limited Roadster for my wife.

I have owned ragtops my entire life so I am not entirely unfamiliar with them. Currently have an 08 Sebring ragtop that is a similar setup. Well kinda anyway.

It is March here and we did just get a foot of snow yesterday and of course the car arrived on the carrier today caked in dirt and ice.

All clean now and I have questions I hope you all might help with. I have done some digging on the forum and am continuing to read.

But, to answer the troubleshooting questions above.

The switch does nothing. Unlatching the top doesn't do anything. The switch for the top blinks constantly when the car is running. I have heard what sounds like the seat belt warning going off (only while moving?) even when I am belted in for about 10 seconds and then stop. Related? I am pretty sure the constant hum coming from the rear is the motor but it's freezing out and it will have to wait for me to dig into it.

Suggestions on where I should look first?

Additionally, the manual spoiler switch does nothing. Haven't had it on the highway to see if it goes up automatically. It's not registered yet and I am not planning on putting it on the road until the snow is gone.

Thanks for any help!

Old 03-15-2017, 07:38 PM
Forum Regular
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Answer Pizzaguy's questions. I may be able to help also, since I have spent a lot of time on the problem and finally found the culprit.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:40 PM

Thanks!

1) If you unlatch the top from the windshield frame, do the driver and passenger windows automatically go down?

No. Nothing happens.

Switch is lighted and blinking. Windows never move.

No

4) If it does NOT beep - do you hear the faint sound of the electric trunk lock activating?

I don't think so. Can listen closely when I go out to the garage again.

I hear a constant hum from the rear when the car is running.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NH_Crossfire
Thanks!

No. Nothing happens.

When you unhook the top from the windshield frame, the removal of the latch hook from the frame allows the retainer switch to relax, applying a ground to Pin C1-16 of the Top Control Module. The TCM then sends data on the CAN bus to the Body Control Module which in turn puts the windows down. Most commonly, this fails due to a bad switch in the windshield frame.

Switch is lighted and blinking. Windows never move.

Lighted means a cycle has started. Blinking means there is an error preventing the cycle from starting.

No

A lighted switch that results in a beep means the cycle can't start due to one or more sensors not indication proper state. NO BEEP but blinking means there is, again, an error preventing the cycle from starting.

I don't think so. Can listen closely when I go out to the garage again.
With a blinking LED and no windows going down, I doubt the electric lock is activating. Skip this.

I hear a constant hum from the rear when the car is running.
Skip this one as well.
Given that the LED blinks a lot AND the TCM is not telling the BCM to lower the windows, my guesses are:
  1. The battery has been allowed to go dead a time or two, and the battery is weak/bad. (Please do not tell me that the car starts fine - that is not the point.)
  2. The TCM has lost it's mind and synchronization - this happens at times - keep reading.
  3. Someone has ignorantly 'jump started' the car without paying attention to what they were doing and destroyed the top module.
  4. The car has been stored outside OR was on the trailer in heavy rain with a top/back window not sealing properly - the wheel wells are full of water and the Top Module (and maybe even security module) are under water and destroyed.
  5. The car has been stored some time where rodents can get into it and the wiring of the car has been chewed.

Items 1 and 2 can happen more-or-less together. If the car will start and run (without a jump start or battery booster) then I'd try this:
  • Start car and let it idle.
  • Perform the manual top lowering and raising procedure - going thru the entire procedure all the way - this can re-sync the top's electronic controller with all the sensors. The engine must be running while this is happening so the TCM can watch the sensors change state.
Manual top operation:

Try what I have suggested. If it gets you no where - then take all the trim out of the trunk and gain access to the wheel wells. Inspect for water damage or rodent damage.

The following 2 users liked this post by pizzaguy:
melanie1990 (02-12-2024), Robgauss (12-30-2023)
Old 03-16-2017, 06:58 AM

Very good write up Mark ! Your meds aren't effecting you too much it seems, perhaps you are finally out of the pain phase and into the healing phase ?

Old 03-16-2017, 09:20 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Very good write up Mark ! Your meds aren't effecting you too much it seems, perhaps you are finally out of the pain phase and into the healing phase ?
I tend to disagree with the point number one, if the car starts a few times OK then I think the battery is probably fine. There is no better test of a battery than the power the starter requires. If the battery cannot start the car a few times consequetivly then it is a duffer. By start I mean a real fast spin of the engine, not some half asssed slow agonizing spin.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-16-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I tend to disagree with the point number one, if the car starts a few times OK then I think the battery is probably fine. There is no better test of a battery than the power the starter requires. If the battery cannot start the car a few times consequetivly then it is a duffer. By start I mean a real fast spin of the engine, not some half asssed slow agonizing spin.
Yes, and that's why I don't even ask anymore if it "spins over real good", so many people you ask respond with "How can I tell?"

But Dave, even I don't listen to me. I have preached and preached that the battery should be replaced at four year intervals. My car was starting fine this summer on a five year old battery. Then, one day, I start the car and go to put the top up - the cycle starts, the window and lid raise up, then the pump stops and I have 6 or 7 warning lights on the dash.

I had to put the top up manually. Next morning, I can put top up and down, all is fine, all but one light is out - I now have an airbag warning light.

Sure, the battery starts the car, but what it apparently is NOT doing so well, is filtering out the spikes caused by motors turning on and off and those caused by the regulator taking control of the armature winding as the alternator spins up.

====================

As I read thru his post, I see the references to the spoiler and now even wonder more about the battery or about rodent damage to wiring. Its hard to tell from several states away with so little to go on . And with the owner having no knowledge of the history of the car...........

Old 03-16-2017, 11:37 AM

Mark, Dave and anyone else that wants to chime in :
What is your opinion on installing one of those honkin big filter capacitors on the battery that all the ricers seem to have with the readout and the purty LED lights in them ?
NEW!!! Power Acoustik 30 Farad Digital Car Audio Capacitor Cap With Voltmeter | eBay

Old 03-19-2017, 02:45 PM

So here is where I am.

I put the top down manually. When I tried to put the top up with the switch, it sat for a second and did nothing but it started to move. The hatch opened and the top started to move a bit and then stopped. I could hear the pump.

I let go of the switch and then hit it again and again it moved up slightly and stopped. I repeated this a few times until the top came up about 3/4 and then nothing more. I was able to get the top manually to close. It felt like it was low on fluid so that would've been my next check but, I now can't lift the rear bow high enough to close the hatch.

I'm stuck at the point in the picture.

The button now blinks when the car is started. It stays lit when the car is off.

This top is not long for this car as it is but I would really like to get it operational before having to deal with a replacement.

I now get nothing from the switch. No movement and no sound.

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by NH_Crossfire; 03-19-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:13 PM

Update.

I went back out after letting it sit for a little while and the tonneau cover had relaxed and it was sitting on the rear window. I had put a blanket over the rear window just in case.

I was able to lift the rear bow up and put the tonneau down.

I then hit the button and the rear of the top latched down.

BUT, I cannot unlock the truck now. I can hear a little hum when I hit the unlock but it will not unlatch.

I've read posts where they say you can get to the mechanism through the drivers side license plate bulb assembly? I pulled the bulb assembly out and reached in but have no idea what I should be feeling for. Is it the drivers side assembly or the passenger side? EDIT: Ok, after some more reading, it sounds like if I go in through the passenger side, I should be trying to hook the emergency release cable and if I go in through the right side, a screwdriver is used to push the lock to the right. Do I have that right?

The saga continues...

Again, thank you for any advice you are able to supply. I really appreciate it.

Daryll

Last edited by NH_Crossfire; 03-19-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:48 PM

and yet another question. If the nothing happens when I unlatch the roof at the windshield, I would think this switch is the place to start.

I have seen an entire assembly referenced in the forum as a replacement. I guess I am confused. Why does this say "right" and am I getting that entire asembly, switch and all?

I'm talking about this:

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...5140938AA.html

I ask because it seems like quite the deal when the switch itself is more money:

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...5142205AA.html

Can someone point me in the right direction on what I need to order to resolve the issue at the header?

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Osusannah
My convertible top will not go down on my 2006 Crossfire. Is there a manual way of opening it or a safety switch that may have been activated as boyfriend tried to open it with the trunk door up? PLEEEEEEEASE HELP, as this is my baby and my boyfriend wishes to live long enough to see the light of day! THANK YOU!!! Oh Susannah
mine did the same thing but it was something in the truck that kept it from lifting. Make sure truck is cleaned of space and alsotry starting it with both your Windows rolled up . Mine have to be rolled up before my top lets down.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:37 AM

im having similar problems withroof

Old 12-28-2023, 11:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I need much more information.

Your answers should be: yes, yes, no, yes, yes. The first 'wrong' answer is the beginning of knowing what is wrong here.
Hello PizzaGuy. If you're still on here, when i unlatch the handle Yes my windows go down Yes the button lights up and Yes it beeps, but then nothing happens.

Old 12-29-2023, 02:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 287 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDMarine
Hello PizzaGuy. If you're still on here, when i unlatch the handle Yes my windows go down Yes the button lights up and Yes it beeps, but then nothing happens.
Hi, you might want to create a new post in this section. It will get more attention that way. Include information about your car; Year, model, and transmission. The more info, the easier to get help.
I've only been here a short while myself and I don't know much about the operation of the top.
Here is a helpful link if you're new here.
New members info

Quick Reply: Convertible top won't open :(