Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

supercharger not working

Old 04-23-2016, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger not working

Hi everyone,

I have searched this issue for the last two weeks both on here and under the hood. Its not the IC pump thats running properly and new as of last fall. My secondary air pump is working properly upgraded the relay to the 40 amp relay and has been working with out any problems. I have no lights on the dash, no check engine lights or codes. I have tested the clutch and made sure its still operating like it should which it is. What else should I look into? Intake sensor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: supercharger not working

What exactly are your symptoms? Doesn't kick in at all, even when it's not gotten hot yet? And not to second guess you, but how do you know the IC pump is running properly?

Old 04-23-2016, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
What exactly are your symptoms? Doesn't kick in at all, even when it's not gotten hot yet? And not to second guess you, but how do you know the IC pump is running properly?
No boost at all hot or cold. It will randomly kick on but last few outing nothing at all now. I know the IC pump is working since the intake temp never goes above 140 checked with obd tool and infrared gun. I also did the mod so it goes on with the key and I can hear it running and feel the circulation when I grab one of the hoses to the intercooler. Supercharger clutch has a full 12v going to it with key on. Gap on pulley to magnet is .014. Not sure what else to check.

Last edited by FTcrossfire; 04-23-2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 04-23-2016, 04:48 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Apply a ground to the other terminal plug at the SC ( NOT the one with 12v ! ).
If the SC engages, then the coil/magnet is OK, if not then ........
If it engages with this test, then the PTCM is not happy for some reason and is not supplying the ground.
( or the wire from the PTCM to the SC clutch is compromised )

Old 04-23-2016, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Apply a ground to the other terminal plug at the SC ( NOT the one with 12v ! ).
If the SC engages, then the coil/magnet is OK, if not then ........
If it engages with this test, then the PTCM is not happy for some reason and is not supplying the ground.
( or the wire from the PTCM to the SC clutch is compromised )
Tested that already it works as it should. It's something that's making the PTCM unhappy.... Any ideas?

Old 04-23-2016, 08:01 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Nope, sorry. I am not among the privileged that own an SRT6.
I get by with my measly NA roadster.

See post #11 here : http://mbworld.org/forums/m113-v8-ko...er-engage.html

Might be of some help.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 04-23-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:34 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If it kicks in up to temp, then kicks out and not function. It could be the AIT sensor. If it never kicks in at all, then not the sensor....

Old 04-24-2016, 08:57 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In another thread, member Sweet2002 mentioned "The lack of supercharger function was just a clip needing to be cleaned and a dab of dielectric grease". Not sure if he's talking about the connections at the clutch or on the other end somewhere. Perhaps PM him and ask.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
If it kicks in up to temp, then kicks out and not function. It could be the AIT sensor. If it never kicks in at all, then not the sensor....

It doesnt kick on at all now. AIT sensor is off 10 degrees from the read out its giving when i connect with OBD scanner vs an infrared temp gun. Temp gun is higher then what the OBD scanner is reading. I am at a complete loss.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Nope, sorry. I am not among the privileged that own an SRT6.
I get by with my measly NA roadster.

See post #11 here : When Does the Supercharger Engage? - MBWorld.org Forums

Might be of some help.

Thank you going to have to do some digging. This was very helpful thank you.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
In another thread, member Sweet2002 mentioned "The lack of supercharger function was just a clip needing to be cleaned and a dab of dielectric grease". Not sure if he's talking about the connections at the clutch or on the other end somewhere. Perhaps PM him and ask.
Thanks to this post I was able to find my problem. I found that the power wire going from the connector to the supercharger clutch at the front of the supercharger is losing connection inside the connector. If i wiggle the wire around i can get power and lose it again. Have to pull that connection apart and see if i can find where the wire is pulling out re solder and put it back together or replace the connector.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:57 PM

My recent experience might help. Supercharger quit engaging and of course I went right to the forum. Had to be an I/C pump. Bought Johnson pump, wired it up and no supercharger. Next...had to be the IAT sensor. Ordered one off eBay and then I came across two things on the forum; one guy mentioned it was his RCM, and another had a complete wiring diagram for the supercharger pulley. I took one look at it and low and behold everything starts in the RCM fuse #2. I got home, pulled the fuse with the key on, and my cooling fan turned on full speed, and the supercharger pulley started rapidly engaging and disengaging right in front of me. I had a spare RCM I ordered off eBay a couple of years ago. Changed it out and off I went. No problem.

I should have ran it down before buying the pump..BUT good things came out of the endeavor. I have the 62mm pulley and probably needed the Johnson pump and more volume, I gapped the supercharger pulley, and wired the pump off the ignition in the process. Before buying the pump CHECK it. My old man would smack me up side the head if he was alive and knew I didn't check it before replacing it. I actually heard him in my head saying "check it first Mick." But nooooo.......right to a $149.00 Johnson pump.

All good...and without this forum I would probably have it in the shop spending lots more $$$$.

Last edited by Michael1776; 03-05-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:31 PM

Looking for some help/direction. This thread is a few years old, but is at least on topic. Supercharger is cutting in and out. Dealer says I need to replace the clutch (over $1000 for the part, wth) after recent visit. It seem worse when it's hot, but when it happens it is consistent the way it cuts in and out. Any way to confirm SC clutch is the issue.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger413
Looking for some help/direction. This thread is a few years old, but is at least on topic. Supercharger is cutting in and out. Dealer says I need to replace the clutch (over $1000 for the part, wth) after recent visit. It seem worse when it's hot, but when it happens it is consistent the way it cuts in and out. Any way to confirm SC clutch is the issue.
The common cause is an intercooler pump that has failed and the coolant gets too hot, usually that means the car runs fine from cold but when it warms up the SC quits working The air entering the engine gets too warm. I cannot see the SC clutch causing that problem unless the electro magnet is failing, causing slippage.
Check for engine error codes and see if the pump is working, how many miles on the car?
Bosch pump part #0392022010 - $113 on Amazon.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-17-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:01 PM

A little slow responding back, sorry. End of the year havoc. Issue is still there. The diagnosis is from the dealer. The pump has been check and I even swapped it out to be sure, but still cuts out.
Now the bigger problem is the Chrysler side no longer services this issue so they cant get the parts. I plan to reach out to a Mercedes dealer to see if they can get it. If not maybe a junkyard, idk.
Any other ideas? Anyone else ever had this issue with the s/c?

Old 01-18-2020, 01:11 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger413
A little slow responding back, sorry. End of the year havoc. Issue is still there. The diagnosis is from the dealer. The pump has been check and I even swapped it out to be sure, but still cuts out.
Now the bigger problem is the Chrysler side no longer services this issue so they cant get the parts. I plan to reach out to a Mercedes dealer to see if they can get it. If not maybe a junkyard, idk.
Any other ideas? Anyone else ever had this issue with the s/c?
Have you tried to see if there are any error codes?
Abetter explanation of your problem would help, maybe you know some details that you are not telling us?

Old 01-18-2020, 07:13 PM

Unfortunately, that is all the details I have at this time. Trusting in the dealer diagnosis. I dont have access to OBD scanner right now. I'll see if I can get any codes and share them if I do.

Old 01-22-2020, 01:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check fuse #13. if it's blown the ic pump won't work.