Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

ABS ESP and an erect spolier

Old 09-25-2016, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS ESP and an erect spolier

Hi Folks,

Time for you ever-dependable and amazing people to help me with yet ANOTHER Crossfire issue (seriously, this car is testing my patience and I am on the cusp of replacing it with a Cayman!!!).

Today, whilst traveling at around 15mph, my ABS & ESP warning lights came on suddenly and my spoiler got all aroused!! The spoiler button was flashing and I can make the spoiler go down, other than to switch off the engine, restart, use the button and then quickly switch off. If the car is left for more than 10 seconds, the warning lights come on and the spoiler jumps to life!

I have tried disconnecting the battery to see if its a sensor just playing up and resetting it, but nada! The breaks are all newish and the car had a full service just 2 months ago.

Any ideas, good people?

Old 09-25-2016, 03:00 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: ABS ESP and an erect spolier

First idea is the battery.
Best replace it, regardless of age.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:06 PM

The battery is only about two months old :/

Old 09-25-2016, 03:38 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

What do the battery cable terminals look like? What does the ground lead's lug look like (at the bolt where it fastens to the chassis)?

If those are ok, then I'd suspect the engine to chassis ground jumper or the alternator. If its the alternator, that will show up by watching a voltmeter as you drive, if system voltage is not stayihng above 13.8 or so when driving, the alternator is not charging right.

I had weird issues iwth my Graphite, and I think it was the ground(s). I fixed it for $15 by doing this:

GO to store, buy a generic ground cable like this one:

Buy a ring lug to fit the smaller wire, a lug that will fit the battery ground bolt at the chassis next to the battery.

Remove the battery ground cable from both the battery and chassis ground bolt - throw the cable away.
Grab your new battery cable and crimp the lug onto the smaller wire. Fasten this lug to chassis using the original bolt. Connect the Battery terminal to the battery.

Now, run the BIG LEAD to the engine block and find a suitable bolt that you can TIGHTEN DOWN GOOD and connect to the block. I used an alternator ground bolt.

YOu have now connected the battery, chassis and engine block together to eliminate the block to chassis cable from the picture. (Doing this is easier than trying to verify the integrity of the jumper under the car.)

If the jumper was the issue, you are fine now. If it is NOT the issue, you have spent 1/2 hour and $15 - since I'm not there to help you troubleshoot, this is about as good as I can do.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 09-25-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:45 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

OK, then 2 possibilities :
1. The battery was a lemon.
2. Cable / cable connection issues.

At either rate, the erect spoiler is an indication of voltage issues.
The BCM controls the spoiler, it detects ( among other things ) the dash mounted spoiler control switch. This switch is a multi voltage switch utilizing a resister to drop the 5 v supply voltage to signal "spoiler down", and full voltage to signal "spoiler up".
When the supplied 5v signal voltage drops ( due to low battery voltage ), the BCM thinks you are calling for spoiler up.

( in event of an erection lasting more than 4 hours, please contact your physician )
ooops - that is an American commercial, you might not get that over in old Blimey.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 09-25-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

bad wheel speed sensor?

Old 09-26-2016, 03:47 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Reevz1977
Hi Folks,

Time for you ever-dependable and amazing people to help me with yet ANOTHER Crossfire issue (seriously, this car is testing my patience and I am on the cusp of replacing it with a Cayman!!!).

Today, whilst traveling at around 15mph, my ABS & ESP warning lights came on suddenly and my spoiler got all aroused!! The spoiler button was flashing and I can make the spoiler go down, other than to switch off the engine, restart, use the button and then quickly switch off. If the car is left for more than 10 seconds, the warning lights come on and the spoiler jumps to life!

I have tried disconnecting the battery to see if its a sensor just playing up and resetting it, but nada! The breaks are all newish and the car had a full service just 2 months ago.

Any ideas, good people?
Have a coupe with this too.. replaced all wheel speed sensors .. no change.. battery has been replaced along the way.. no change.. Fix the ABS error (I'm guessing pump time) and your spoiler will be happy too I'd bet. When I was digging around for answers.. I recall reading somewhere the spoiler up is a default with these errors.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Have a coupe with this too.. replaced all wheel speed sensors .. no change.. battery has been replaced along the way.. no change.. Fix the ABS error (I'm guessing pump time) and your spoiler will be happy too I'd bet. When I was digging around for answers.. I recall reading somewhere the spoiler up is a default with these errors.

So I have this problem. Were you saying that you fixed the ABS Error and the spoiler worked? Is there an accurate way to determine what the ABS/ESP error is, or is it a troubleshooting/trial-and-error type issue?

Old 04-26-2017, 05:38 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Get the codes read, the answer may be found there.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Reevz1977
Hi Folks,

Any ideas, good people?
Having same problem with my 2007 Crossfire. Today I happened to notice that the indicator used to let you know when your next oil change is due seems to be stuck on 4700. The mileage indicator and trip meter are working OK and I'm guessing that it might be related to the erect spoiler problem. The ABS & ESP LIGHTS never came on but since there all three are related. Gonna check it out...never know might get lucky!
rshepherd_68