Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Any tips for winter storage?

Old 12-30-2017, 03:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Any tips for winter storage?

sshistand - I too, live in Northern Kentucky. My Crossfire is my first and I'm wondering about winter storage/parking. I am in a condo with no garage, so I will just have to put a car cover on mine. I think I will put some fuel stabilizer in mine and drive it a bit to make sure it mix's well. My concern is the battery. I will not use a tender because of the concern for fire. I'm also afraid to disconnect the battery for fear of messing up the electronics. Someone stated here that if you disconnect the battery, DON'T disconnect the negative first. I've always disconnected the negative ground first. Maybe the best bet would be to try and drive the car for about an hour every three to four weeks. Hopefully the battery would not discharge in that length of time. I would welcome any and all information on this storage issue. Onehundred80 suggested searching "storage" but, who do you believe? If anybody has any ideas please post them here, or better yet, can you email me at jpmlholian@aol.com.

Thanks Gentlemen

Jim

Old 12-30-2017, 03:59 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

If you drive it for 30-40 minutes every 2 weeks, it should be fine.
You ALWAYS disconnect the negative battery terminal first.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:35 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
If you drive it for 30-40 minutes every 2 weeks, it should be fine.
You ALWAYS disconnect the negative battery terminal first.

Ditto on removing NEG cable first. If you remove the POS cable the alarm will 'wake you up'.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:20 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Ditto on removing NEG cable first. If you remove the POS cable the alarm will 'wake you up'.

Correct but that is not what you said in your post #14 in this thread some years back. I think you made a correction in that post but what you say is still wrong.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
............ I would welcome any and all information on this storage issue. Onehundred80 suggested searching "storage" but, who do you believe? If anybody has any ideas please post them here, or better yet, can you email me at jpmlholian@aol.com.

Thanks Gentlemen

Jim
Who would you believe if a couple of people answered this request of yours?
I disconnected my battery to work on the car some months ago, I put a charger on it once since then. I have to have a Drive Clean test before I can renew the plate sticker and all the pollution parameters will have to be reset by driving it around before it is tested. I’ll have to get a temporary sticker, some cops cars have a camera that runs license plate numbers automatically as the cop drives around. My son got a ticket for an expired sticker that way, it was just a day or so late, correct month but date wise it was expired.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-31-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:35 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Correct but that is not what you said in your post #14 in this thread some years back. I think you made a correction in that post but what you say is still wrong.
As far as I know, the reason for removing the negative cable first is the wrench.
No harm if the wrench touches the frame from the negative terminal before it is loose,
can't say the same for a bridge from the positive terminal to the frame.
Possible exploded battery or severe burns from the hot wrench

Last edited by ala_xfire; 12-31-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear there is another Crossfire so close. I would not leave your Crossfire sit without running for more than a month. I keep my SRT covered in a Barn. Start it even in winter once a month and never start it without running 10 miles at least to dry out the exhaust. I also believe these cars are electrically sensitive and need to be with a battery charged to avoid problems. I run about 2,000 mi a year on mine and love it. Hope to meet you in the near further.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:02 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
As far as I know, the reason for removing the negative cable first is the wrench.
No harm if the wrench touches the frame from the negative terminal before it is loose,
can't say the same for a bridge from the positive terminal to the frame.
Possible exploded battery or severe burns from the hot wrench

That is one of the main reasons for removing the NEG cable first (reverse if you have a POS ground vehicle, if there are any on the road anymore). It becomes a necessity on our XF's due to the alarm system because the alarm will sound if the POS is removed first.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:59 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Any tips for winter storage?

I put the dodge challenger in the garage, add a battery float charger and wait for spring. There are no tire issues, and a full tank of fuel to avoid condensation, ready to go.

Iam really amazed that people believe that it need be climate controlled, its a car, not wine !

The 73 dodge does not require babying and the crossfire does not get anything special either.

Happy New Year, Woody Enjoy

Old 01-01-2018, 08:43 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Who would you believe if a couple of people answered this request of yours?
I disconnected my battery to work on the car some months ago, I put a charger on it once since then. I have to have a Drive Clean test before I can renew the plate sticker and all the pollution parameters will have to be reset by driving it around before it is tested. I’ll have to get a temporary sticker, some cops cars have a camera that runs license plate numbers automatically as the cop drives around. My son got a ticket for an expired sticker that way, it was just a day or so late, correct month but date wise it was expired.
Dave, about 10 years ago I requested that my sticker renewal date be extended and it was changed from March to September. Much better weather to deal with Drive Clean testing and adding the sticker to the plate.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Dave, about 10 years ago I requested that my sticker renewal date be extended and it was changed from March to September. Much better weather to deal with Drive Clean testing and adding the sticker to the plate.
I never knew you could do that, thanks.