Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Air Filter Stupid question!

Old 04-05-2017, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter Stupid question!

Hi all.

I will be replacing my air filters with K and N. Stupid question - the filter behind the engine is this the same as the one in the passenger foot well?

Cheers all!

Old 04-05-2017, 08:36 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Air Filter Stupid question!

Filter behind the engine ?
Pictures please.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:51 AM

I've not done the replacement yet. As far as I know we have two filters. One in engine bay and another in the passenger foot well. My Question; Are they two of the same ? or different ?

Old 04-05-2017, 08:57 AM

There are two engine air intake filters, one on each side of the silver cover. There is also a cabin air filter located under the glove compartment. The two intake filters are the same, the cabin air filter is different.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:00 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have two air filters in the engine compartment and the filter you refer to in the passenger footwell is a cabin air filter. Lots of information on this site to help, download the service manual and it will be an easy fix to identify and replace.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:02 AM

Thank you!

Old 04-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by stubond30
Thank you!

I STRONGLY recommend you download the owners manual AND the service manual posted here in the forum ( Post 1 this link https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...repairs-2.html ). Besides those two MUST HAVE manuals and all the self help files, the search function in the forum here, is your best friend. Go out and get familiar with your car, the more you open it up the easier it will be. Good luck AND welcome to the forum of the BEST forum I ever belonged to!

Old 05-19-2017, 04:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all. It's about my air filter, and probably a stupid question so i'll toss it in here. I've been searching intake, air box, leaking, filters, you name it, and can't find the post about sealing the NA air box when changing the filters due to them leaking. Maybe it's my man vision I'm not sure, but a point in the right direction would be cool thanks!

2004 SSB 6spd and still having a lot of Fun with it!

Old 05-19-2017, 05:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the original poster - when you remove the plastic engine cover, you have to turn it upside down. Make sure to place it on something soft, not cement so you don't scratch the top of it. Also, the filters are held in place with a cover that takes a Torx head screwdriver, that's the kind that looks like a star shape. You might be able to wedge a small flat blade into the screws, but if you don't have one, maybe you can borrow a torx head from someone before you try this and have to stop.
Also, the filters are not symmetrical, one end is thicker than the other, so think it through for which direction makes sense. If you just got the car, someone may have wedged them in backwards. I think it is possible to squeeze them in the wrong way.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:56 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Drawbar
Hey all. It's about my air filter, and probably a stupid question so i'll toss it in here. I've been searching intake, air box, leaking, filters, you name it, and can't find the post about sealing the NA air box when changing the filters due to them leaking. Maybe it's my man vision I'm not sure, but a point in the right direction would be cool thanks!

2004 SSB 6spd and still having a lot of Fun with it!
What is the reason for the leaks?

Old 05-19-2017, 07:54 PM

I suppose I should do the cover the intake with my hand test as the OP stated, see if there's good suction, or if I have an air leak like he did. If I remember correctly he had posted his was weak and felt it was leaking from the filter housing. I think he used RTV gasket maker in the housing slots. Said it fixed his leaks. I have some Mann filters coming from Amazon and wanted to check on the post, see if this was something I may as well do while putting in the new filters. I'm finally starting to bookmark the posts I'm interested in.

2004 SSB 6spd Coupe, and seriously need to move to a longer driving climate

Old 06-05-2017, 04:12 PM

Welp, I changed out the filters to Mann. Now there is a noticeable suction from the filter tubes, and the car will want to stall if I completely cover them. Maybe it was the Fram filters? The Mann looked a little taller in the paper, and I've seen dirtier filters, but either way if the car wants to stall out, I'm thinking there really can't be much of a leak in the air filter housing.

2004 6 spd SSB coupe, and I'm retired to use it now!

Old 06-05-2017, 04:16 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Drawbar
Welp, I changed out the filters to Mann. Now there is a noticeable suction from the filter tubes, and the car will want to stall if I completely cover them. Maybe it was the Fram filters? The Mann looked a little taller in the paper, and I've seen dirtier filters, but either way if the car wants to stall out, I'm thinking there really can't be much of a leak in the air filter housing.
I would have to agree with you.