Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Car shut off during idle

Old 04-11-2017, 05:41 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Car shut off during idle

not absolutely, but most likely.
Go Bosch or go home.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
not absolutely, but most likely.
Go Bosch or go home.
I was under the assumption that it wouldn't turn over at all if the CPS was bad, but I've been wrong a time or two in my short span of 20 years on earth. Thanks for the help! Will post a conclusion if the replacement solves problems. If not, I'll be back for more questions! Also, I know they are affected by heat.. so what can I do to keep heat out? My dad suggested a starter wrap or heat reflective tape.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:00 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

WILL turn over with a bad CPS.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by chturner
I was under the assumption that it wouldn't turn over at all if the CPS was bad, but I've been wrong a time or two in my short span of 20 years on earth. Thanks for the help! Will post a conclusion if the replacement solves problems. If not, I'll be back for more questions! Also, I know they are affected by heat.. so what can I do to keep heat out? My dad suggested a starter wrap or heat reflective tape.
Yes, the engine will turn over with a bad CPS.
You really cannot heat shield it, it mounts to the engine block just above the flywheel, so any engine heat will be conducted to it regardless of what you do.

The CPS is just a rod magnet with turns of wire wound around it. Think of it as a mini-generator, as the flywheel spins below it, it is excited by either a notch or a high point ( not sure which ) in the flywheel once per revolution. This signal is monitored by the PTCM and is used to set the base timing. The camshaft position sensor is then used to tell the PTCM the EXACT engine position, then it consults it's magical programming and factors in all sorts of other sensors to arrive at when to fire the plugs.

The camshaft position sensor is a "Hall Effect" sensor, means it has a transistor in it that is triggered by a magnet in the passenger side camshaft.
The CPS, or crankshaft position sensor is a "reluctance head pickup" in industry terms, means it has no electronic parts, just a magnet and coil.

We have found that the non-Bosch CPS sensors from China seem to have thinner pins for the harness to connect to, therefore the connection is not as secure.

NOTE: There is a guard shield around the CPS mounted by 2 of the bell housing bolts, it you remove this shield you will have much easier access to replace it.
This is however an extra step that many prefer not to do. ( Put the shield back on when you are done )

Last edited by ala_xfire; 04-11-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:41 PM

You really cannot heat shield it, it mounts to the engine block just above the flywheel, so any engine heat will be conducted to it regardless of what you do.

The CPS is just a rod magnet with turns of wire wound around it. Think of it as a mini-generator, as the flywheel spins below it, it is excited by either a notch or a high point ( not sure which ) in the flywheel once per revolution. This signal is monitored by the PTCM and is used to set the base timing. The camshaft position sensor is then used to tell the PTCM the EXACT engine position, then it consults it's magical programming and factors in all sorts of other sensors to arrive at when to fire the plugs.

The camshaft position sensor is a "Hall Effect" sensor, means it has a transistor in it that is triggered by a magnet in the passenger side camshaft.
The CPS, or crankshaft position sensor is a "reluctance head pickup" in industry terms, means it has no electronic parts, just a magnet and coil.

We have found that the non-Bosch CPS sensors from China seem to have thinner pins for the harness to connect to, therefore the connection is not as secure.

NOTE: There is a guard shield around the CPS mounted by 2 of the bell housing bolts, it you remove this shield you will have much easier access to replace it.
This is however an extra step that many prefer not to do. ( Put the shield back on when you are done )
I appreciate you and tighed being such knowledgeable guys that are willing to help. The car is driving fine now.. so it has to be the crank sensor. Probably on its way out but still clinging to life. I ordered a new one from Amazon for $27 before tax. Hopefully we are in the clear and can close yet another no start thread!

Old 04-12-2017, 01:28 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

I appreciate you and tighed being such knowledgeable guys that are willing to help. The car is driving fine now.. so it has to be the crank sensor. Probably on its way out but still clinging to life. I ordered a new one from Amazon for $27 before tax. Hopefully we are in the clear and can close yet another no start thread!

You got a BOSCH CPS for $27.00? That seems to be a very good price! Are you sure it is not a BOSCH replacement (they hide crazy sheit like this in the fine print).

Old 04-12-2017, 01:36 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

You can take out the screw holding the CPS in place before removing the plug from it, this is easier than trying to remove the plug in place. Reverse this procedure when putting the new CPS in place. This way there is not much point in removing the shield.
Buy and install only the Bosch CPS, as we say here "Buy Bosch or walk home", in fact buy two and keep one with the tools required to install it in the trunk. I keep one plus a camshaft position sensor and a RCM in my trunk. I also have a puncture
repair kit and a paid up membership in the Canadian Automobile Association for when I am really up to my neck in it.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-12-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
You got a BOSCH CPS for $27.00? That seems to be a very good price! Are you sure it is not a BOSCH replacement (they hide crazy sheit like this in the fine print).

Yes sir I bought this one. Hoping it's the right one!

Old 04-12-2017, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You can take out the screw holding the CPS in place before removing the plug from it, this is easier than trying to remove the plug in place. Reverse this procedure when putting the new CPS in place. This way there is not much point in removing the shield.
Buy and install only the Bosch CPS, as we say here "Buy Bosch or walk home", in fact buy two and keep one with the tools required to install it in the trunk. I keep one plus a camshaft position sensor and a RCM in my trunk. I also have a puncture
repair kit and a paid up membership in the Canadian Automobile Association for when I am really up to my neck in it.
planned on it! Those are a must have before I make the six hour trip to Florida in June! Along with roadside coverage insurance!

Old 04-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Based on the perverse way that life situations occur, if you were to fill your trunk with these items you could guarantee that you would never need one of them. However if you do not carry a single one of them you can be sure that at the least opportune moment you would surely need one.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:11 PM

Based on the perverse way that life situations occur, if you were to fill your trunk with these items you could guarantee that you would never need one of them. However if you do not carry a single one of them you can be sure that at the least opportune moment you would surely need one.
As Joseph Heller would say "Catch 22"

Old 04-12-2017, 05:44 PM

sure seems to be that way!! Can we confirm that I bought the right part? I posted a screenshot of my purchase from Amazon but not sure if it appears on desktops/laptops. I see it on my iPhone!

Old 04-12-2017, 07:29 PM

sure seems to be that way!! Can we confirm that I bought the right part? I posted a screenshot of my purchase from Amazon but not sure if it appears on desktops/laptops. I see it on my iPhone!
Sure looks like the genuine item, but you can only be sure after you receive it and have a look see !

Old 04-12-2017, 07:34 PM

Sure looks like the genuine item, but you can only be sure after you receive it and have a look see !
ok cool! Checked the part # about four times and got my gf to check behind that! You could say I wanted to be certain... that $27 price threw me off!! After hearing $55 for a knockoff brand at the part stores. Nobody had a bosch on the shelf!

Old 04-12-2017, 07:41 PM

Yes sir I bought this one. Hoping it's the right one!

Only thing I can confirm, is that it SAYS it is an actual OE part. When you get it, compare the name and part number as Bosch. If this seller is legit, it'll be authentic. If authentic, I believe it is the lowest price I ever saw for it.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Only thing I can confirm, is that it SAYS it is an actual OE part. When you get it, compare the name and part number as Bosch. If this seller is legit, it'll be authentic. If authentic, I believe it is the lowest price I ever saw for it.

should be arriving today! I'll have to scoop another one up at that price!

Old 04-13-2017, 07:03 PM

Looks legit to me!

Old 04-13-2017, 07:24 PM

MeeeeToooooo

Old 04-14-2017, 01:08 PM

GREAT catch!

Old 04-21-2017, 05:26 PM

Drove the car to work today! Still haven't replaced the CPS because I've been hunting a socket for it and haven't had time due to working two jobs.. gotta support the crossy somehow! Still driving fine and I figured W.T.H, I only live five miles from work so why not? Boy, I missed it!!!