Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

SRS light on after Takata airbag recall

Old 04-23-2017, 08:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: SRS light on after Takata airbag recall

Adding some anecdotal data to the discussion above -- the same company which builds lane-departure warning systems (LDWS) sensors has released 8 different software updates in the past year, because of numerous "failure to read" errors in the manufacturing plant in Japan. Each time they issue a SW change, it warrants a new part number and a new PSW approval from yours truly.

These SW changes occur every 6 weeks or so, give or take -- so with such a large variance in P/Ns, it's easy to see how certain lines of code could fail to talk to one another at a dealership level.

The systems in the Crossfire are much simpler, and thus, probably not as susceptible to this phenomenon.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:06 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Breaking? Seemed enevitable ( https://www.yahoo.com/news/takata-fi...095858335.html ).

Old 06-29-2017, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah that news is not good but not surprising. Has anyone else had the recall done? Update on me, dealership was supposed to get a star scanner and let me know. They of course never did and I have been so busy I have not had a chance to follow up with them or Chrysler. I still drive the car occasionally w/ no bags! Now who knows what is going to happen with this airbag mess

Old 06-30-2017, 07:11 AM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by elbailey23
yeah that news is not good but not surprising. Has anyone else had the recall done? Update on me, dealership was supposed to get a star scanner and let me know. They of course never did and I have been so busy I have not had a chance to follow up with them or Chrysler. I still drive the car occasionally w/ no bags! Now who knows what is going to happen with this airbag mess
The bankruptcy filing is really just a formality for Takata to keep the "vultures away". They've got several multi-million $$$$ lawsuits filed against them from victims' families due to their exploding air modules. They'll keep supplying new parts to comply with the Federal safety recall, but it's just been overwhelming to them due to the magnitude of this recall. Biggest one ever!

As to the availability of having access to a Star Scanner, get back to your dealership & see if they can borrow one from a nearby dealer. Quite a few of these dealers got caught off-guard when this recall surfaced. A lot of them counted on never having to work on these air bag systems and most likely got rid of their Star Scanners (or better yet, never invested in one from the very beginning of the model runs because of the rarity involved in its use). Besides, if they strictly follow the procedures for the removal & replacement of the airbag, chances are the SRS light won't even come on and the system will be OK. Others with more knowledge on this can chime in, if I'm wrong about this point.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:26 PM

*airbag fiasco update*
So I know it has been many months since I have messed with this due to hectic work schedule, hurricane, etc. I haven’t driven the xfire much lately but I decided today I would finally call FCA hotline since the dealership manager never called me back so I figure he never found a Star scanner. I told FCA my situation and they put me on hold for a long time trying to find a dealership that had a star scanner in the Houston area. After a long time she said she could not locate anyone but would continue trying and call me back. We shall see what happens. I will look on the forum since it has been awhile and see if anyone has had any issues similar to mine.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:44 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

supposedly the LAUNCH CRP 123 scanner will reset air bag codes.
I haven't done any myself, although I do have one of these scanners,
but there are several videos on uTube of it actually working.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:15 PM

*update*
I spoke with a new service manager at the dealership that put my airbag in and explained my situation and that the last service manager never followed up with me as he was supposed to when he found a Star Scanner. She said she wanted to help but they couldn't since they did not have the scanner and couldn't get one. I asked her if I found another place that could read/program the SRS would they reimburse me. She said they would. I called about 14 different dealership and German service shops around Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. Finally found 1 place here in Houston that said they work on Crossfires and have a bunch of Mercedes experience. They said they didn't have a Star Scanner but did have a scanner that should read it. Well, I went down there and they came back and said there was no communication to the SRS main control module under the center console. They suspect that maybe the dealership shorted something out when they installed the new airbag. I advised them that there wasn't an SRS light on until maybe the 2-3rd start or shortly after starting it. They weren't too sure. I called the Service Manager back again and she said I could bring it in tomorrow and they think they have a tool that can communicate. Well, we shall see what happens. I was tempted to buy my own scanner but if I have a fried control module that isn't good and it will be tough to prove other than they were in the system very soon before the light came on. Will update again tomorrow or as soon as I have an update.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:47 PM
Exclamation Re: SRS light on after Takata airbag recall

Only a Star scanner will read and reset that code. keep looking. Autel scanners will not work, not even my shiny new one with the latest software.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:56 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by technolteacher
Only a Star scanner will read and reset that code. keep looking. Autel scanners will not work, not even my shiny new one with the latest software.
The icarsoft MBII scanner will clear the airbag light. Use the R170 chassis option.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:41 AM

I checked my VIN (2004 Crossfire) on the Chrysler (Mopar Your Vehicle Dashboard) website and the NTSB website and my VIN comes back clean with no outstanding recalls. I am guessing that the former owner had the airbag recall completed or my car didn't have bad Takata airbags.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:37 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbirdtony
I checked my VIN (2004 Crossfire) on the Chrysler (Mopar Your Vehicle Dashboard) website and the NTSB website and my VIN comes back clean with no outstanding recalls. I am guessing that the former owner had the airbag recall completed or my car didn't have bad Takata airbags.
2004 and 2005 and 2006s were not in the recall, generally. They use TRW bags.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-11-2018 at 12:48 PM. Reason: info added
Old 10-12-2018, 06:49 AM

onehundred80,
Thanks for the information.