Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Brake lights In-op

Old 07-29-2017, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lights In-op

So my brake lights on my srt6 mysteriously stopped working today. Bulbs are fine and "chmsl" (high mounted brake light on rear hatch roof) functions normally. Seems like some relay module or something that just controls the Lh and Rh brake lights has failed.

Interestingly, the nighttime driving lights work fine--same bulb different circuit.

Has this happened to anyone out there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill

Old 07-30-2017, 03:01 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Brake lights In-op

I was just researching a brake light switch that caused a transmission to get locked in park. May be the same switch. It is the one that your brake pedal hits when you step on the brakes. It has 6 wires but not sure if the 3rd light would still work. Here is a thread to check: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...t-working.html

Old 07-30-2017, 09:02 AM

Thanks for that thread Ron. I'll start with that brake switch.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:50 PM

hey there , Bill2222, did you replace your brake switch, yourself..i'm just getting started on my brake light problems. i've gone thru all the easy things that could be wrong, no such luck with me..my bas esp lite is on, which means no brake lites, i reset the bas esp, like 5 times, each time i hit the brakes, it comes back on.. fuse is good, i've yet to locate relay, but according to all i've read on it, points to brake lite switch. so my question to you, or anybody that reads this. can u give me some detailed directions on getting to the switch. i about pulled every muscle and strained what was left in my upper torso, trying to look up under the dash, trying to locate it. i pulled off the 1 plastic cover closest to the pedals. the next piece, looks like i'll be pulling some of the front of the dash with it..anything i do to this car is new to me. i've had my x-fire, about 5 months, no major issues, wheel bearings, shocks, thats about it, 135k mileage. but runs great. anyway, anything you can share with me about my lites would be greatly appreciated..

Old 09-12-2017, 05:33 PM

Hi Charles-

I had a local shop install a new brake switch since I had a few other things that needed maintenance as well. The new switch solved the problem. Looks like its pretty easy to do it yourself.

Good Luck!