Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Part solution to my Christmas dash lights?

Old 08-21-2017, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part solution to my Christmas dash lights?

Still working on the problem of ABS lights etc plus no speedometer or cruise control. I have narrowed one fault down to a cracked reluctor ring on o/s front hub which I discovered after an examination of the speed sensors tip surface on that wheel. Now comes a problem, after an extensive search there are no suppliers of these rings here in the UK. I can however get them made if I could obtain the correct dimensions of the ring. Better still if anyone knows of a supplier in the US who would ship the item that would be good. As the build up of rust on the hub gradually works its way under these rings to cause them to crack it could be a possible future problem for all owners. My XF is a 2003 model so it does take some time.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:37 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: Part solution to my Christmas dash lights?

Originally Posted by longspoon
Still working on the problem of ABS lights etc plus no speedometer or cruise control. I have narrowed one fault down to a cracked reluctor ring on o/s front hub which I discovered after an examination of the speed sensors tip surface on that wheel. Now comes a problem, after an extensive search there are no suppliers of these rings here in the UK. I can however get them made if I could obtain the correct dimensions of the ring. Better still if anyone knows of a supplier in the US who would ship the item that would be good. As the build up of rust on the hub gradually works its way under these rings to cause them to crack it could be a possible future problem for all owners. My XF is a 2003 model so it does take some time.
It is best if you keep all of your posts on one problem together in one thread, people cannot be bothered sometimes to keep going from thread to thread to get the whole picture. So repeat this post in the original thread and abandon this this thread.
I think the speedo gets its signal from the gearbox.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Part solution to my Christmas dash lights?

Still new to these new fangled gizmo's but take your point 180. Also apologies for the extended time in sorting problems with car but I have other things that take priority. However, pleased to report normal service has been resumed with my XF with no more Christmas tree decorations to cause a distraction. Main culprits were as mentioned before a cracked ABS ring on a front hub. Took the easy way out on that one and replaced the hub with a good used version. Also replaced all four wheel speed sensors and after carrying out a re-solder job on the RCU decided there were other issues with that unit. Close inspection revealed a slightly burned relay contact. As this was the original RCU according to the date printed on it's side I decided to replace with a new unit bought from ROCK Auto NY and sent to my in-laws address in CA. She who must be obayed has just returned home after a visit so brought the item back with her, fitted it this afternoon and all is restored and back to normal. Also carried out a parasitic drain on battery check as per Eric the car guys thread to find that power is being drained through the radio and interior light switch. Suggestions on a good radio replacement would be appreciated.